User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 72

Thread: UFOs ?

  1. #41

    Default

    I agree with Vince. The idea that we are alone is something perpetuated by religion and the concept that we are somehow the chosen ones. I'd say it is more than likely that there are other intelligent lifeforms in the universe. Whether we'll ever meet them, I don't know.

    I don't think it takes blind faith either. Where else in science do we study and understand a process then assume that it is locally unique and can occur nowhere else in the universe? Do all other planets and systems contain different elements and not the common ones we are made from? Do none of them have weather patterns or oceans? I wouldn't be surprised if they find simple lifeforms like bacteria on Mars, or at least somewhere else in our solar system.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  2. #42
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    chances of lifeforms "visiting" us is an entirely different matter.
    Gene sequencing has shown us so far that all life on Earth is part of the same tree.

    If life arose easily and spontaneously, we would expect there to be many trees of life on Earth. But so far, there is only one.

    In other words if there is alien life, it would have arisen first here on Earth. But as far as we know, it didn't.

    And on top of this, there is no evidence of alien life anywhere else in the Universe.

    So if you wish to continue to believe in alien life, you must do so against the evidence.

    And this is only evidence of blind faith.

  3. #43
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Is agnosticism blind faith?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Gene sequencing has shown us so far that all life on Earth is part of the same tree.

    If life arose easily and spontaneously, we would expect there to be many trees of life on Earth. But so far, there is only one.

    In other words if there is alien life, it would have arisen first here on Earth. But as far as we know, it didn't.

    And on top of this, there is no evidence of alien life anywhere else in the Universe.

    So if you wish to continue to believe in alien life, you must do so against the evidence.

    And this is only evidence of blind faith.
    Vic.. did you know that mankind still hasn't explored 27% of the earth's land surface and 97% of the ocean's floors?.. What I am saying is.. we don't even know what's going on our own planet but you are going to tell me you know for sure what's going on in the rest of the galaxy , let alone the universe??

    We exist right? So whatever the odds are of us existing, no matter how astronomical they are .. we have beaten them.. Now, if the universe is infinite, then sooner or later those odds will repeat. which if you give that concept deep thought.. not only does life exist elsewhere.. But YOU exist elsewhere too.
    Think hard before you answer..

  5. #45
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Vic.. did you know that mankind still hasn't explored 27% of the earth's land surface and 97% of the ocean's floors.. What I am saying is.. we don't even know what's going on our own planet but you are going to tell me you know for sure what's going on in the rest of the galaxy , let alone the universe??

    We exist right? So whatever the odds are of us existing, no matter how astronomical they are .. we have beaten them.. Now, if the universe is infinite, then sooner or later those odds will repeat. which if you give that concept deep thought.. not only does life exist elsewhere.. But YOU exist elsewhere too.
    Think hard before you answer..
    Well No Exit you are right - we simply don't know.

    It may be tomorrow we discover through gene sequencing another tree of life on Earth. Or through astronomy we may discover evidence of alien life.

    But so far the evidence is zero.

    And of course we do base belief on zero evidence, such as the belief in Zeus, Poseidon, the Trinity or Allah.

    There seems to be no reason not to add alien life to these beliefs.

  6. #46
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Is agnosticism blind faith?
    If we have no evidence, we can say, we don't know.

    So if agnostics say, we don't know if there is alien life, then that seems reasonable.

  7. #47
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    If we have no evidence, we can say, we don't know.

    So if agnostics say, we don't know if there is alien life, then that seems reasonable.
    We don't know. We don't have the tools to even begin looking for evidence yet, really, so there isn't any way to know. All anyone can do is speculate.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  8. #48
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We don't know. We don't have the tools to even begin looking for evidence yet, really, so there isn't any way to know. All anyone can do is speculate.
    Well, gene sequencing is an excellent way to look for alien life on Earth.

    And we can expect to find alien life in bacteria or one celled animals.

    But so far, every gene we have sequenced has belonged to the one tree of life.

    And there are vast species of bacteria that we haven't sequenced. And so far there is no large project to look for alien life on Earth.

    So far all life on Earth shares the same DNA whether it is a banana or you. But if we find something with a different DNA then we have found alien life on Earth.

    And it would mean that this alien life began on Earth along with us.

  9. #49
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Well, gene sequencing is an excellent way to look for alien life on Earth.

    And we can expect to find alien life in bacteria or one celled animals.

    But so far, every gene we have sequenced has belonged to the one tree of life.

    And there are vast species of bacteria that we haven't sequenced. And so far there is no large project to look for alien life on Earth.

    So far all life on Earth shares the same DNA whether it is a banana or you. But if we find something with a different DNA then we have found alien life on Earth.

    And it would mean that this alien life began on Earth along with us.
    I'm sorry, but that's just silly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  10. #50
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I'm sorry, but that's just silly.
    Look Cafe, I happen to know you haven't had your genes sequenced, so for all we know you may be alien life.

    Of course this is very unlikely and it is more likely alien life exists among bacteria. But we can't entirely rule you out. In fact looking at your cast of eye, I seem to detect an alien glint.

Similar Threads

  1. Aliens UFO's and area 51
    By jixmixfix in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
  2. UFO Files in the UK declassified
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 07:49 PM
  3. UFO's in the sky!!
    By Prototype in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 03:51 PM
  4. God, the afterlife, ghosts, poltergeists, faerie, UFOs, telekinesis, oh my!!
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 12:27 PM
  5. Spiral UFO Appears Over Norway!
    By Haphazard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO