User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: UFOs ?

Break on Through to the Other Side!

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    A simple solution to the angst you encounter with yourself while on these forums...
    My angst is cognitive dissonance.

And cognitive dissonance is necessary for learning.

Cognitive dissonance is emotionally painful and most seek to avoid it until they learn what is on the other side.

So on this side of cognitive dissonance is emotional pain and on the other side is discovery.

While most here seek to avoid cognitive dissonance and are comforted by stale decay, I seek cognitive dissonance to discover the deep down freshness of things.

So break on through, break on through to the other side!

heart on fire

Maybe the people who like to believe in UFOs are just being delightfully metaphoric?

The Triumph of the Will

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Maybe the people who like to believe in UFOs are just being delightfully metaphoric?
    The Gods have abandoned us. We are fatherless children adrift in a universe we don't understand. But there are whispers they have been seen. They have been seen out of the corner of the eye before vanishing.

Of course its all our fault with destroying the environment and ready to destroy everything in one nuclear catastrophe. No wonder the Gods left us in our hubris, perhaps they have come back to save us from our nemesis.

And it is those who believe who will save us. They will save all those who believe hard enough. For if you believe in something hard enough, it will come true. It is the triumph of the will.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    UFOs are derivative of a belief in the Sky God.

But we have now gone above the clouds and even into orbit, but we can see there is no Sky God.

But still we long to be saved from the sky, so we still keep looking for UFOs, although in all this time we have found no evidence whatsoever. So at this point we are only working with blind faith.

I mean there is no more evidence for UFOs than for Poseidon, Zeus or the Trinity.

The Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries replaced blind faith with evidence and reason. However the New Age Movement seeks to return us to blind faith.

However blind faith is not only bad science, it is bad art as well.

Blind faith is simply bad taste, just as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.
    You are no more sure than the next person about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    You are no more sure than the next person about anything.
    If that were true, science would be impossible.

And if that were true, even art would be impossible.

And for the know-nothings, science and art are impossible.

heart on fire

What does the Enlightenment have to do with art? Art didn't just start with the Enlightenment. Cavemen had art.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I think there is only a very small group of people who can prove the existence or nonexistence of alien visitation.

Interesting! More detail, please?
    It was a black triangle. I saw it as it went over my house. Big, no lights, no sound, traveling about 35-40 miles per hour. The only reason I could see it was because it was lit from below by light shining up from the city.

I would sure like to know more about it!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Chances of life on other planets : extremely likely

Chances of ET-life visiting us : near impossible because our evolution is so fast on the cosmic timescale and planets are so far away that so many factors would have to happen exactly right and just at the right time that it's waaaaaaaaaay too unlikely. Sorry it's just us.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    Chances of life on other planets : extremely likely
    This is wishful thinking because so far we have no evidence for alien life on other planets. And most important, so far we have no evidence of alien life on our planet.

But far worse, this wishful thinking is born of religion and blind faith.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    This is wishful thinking because so far we have no evidence for alien life on other planets. And most important, so far we have no evidence of alien life on our planet.

But far worse, this wishful thinking is born of religion and blind faith.
    Every self-respecting astronomer will say what I said. It's the exact opposite of blind faith. There's a gazillion planets out there of which a substantial amount of planets that are similar to ours.

These are just a few possible "places" in our solar system alone where ET life might be possible :
    Top 5 Bets for Extraterrestrial Life in the Solar System | Wired Science | Wired.com

Like I said before, chances of lifeforms "visiting" us is an entirely different matter.