Thread: UFOs ?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I find unicorns fascinating too.
    Unicorns are myths and This guy presents a theory . I am not sure I see The connection..
    Now if he said aliens were elves or werewolves.. I might see your reasoning..
    Help me out here, Vic

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Unicorns are myths and This guy presents a theory . I am not sure I see The connection..
    Now if he said aliens were elves or werewolves.. I might see your reasoning..
    Help me out here, Vic
    The UFO movement has all the hallmarks of a paranoid obsession.

And paranoid obsessions distract us with their internal consistency, their logic.

They say that if the theory is internally consistent, if it is logical, it is true.

But this is merely sleight of hand to make UFOs plausible.

Unfortunately UFOs are highly implausible.

Theories are like computers. They both work on the same principle - garbage in, garbage out.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Seems to me that in a universe so big, there'd have to be life elsewhere. Have no idea if we have or ever will encounter it and am skeptical about most UFO stories. But the subject does bring to mind that humorous quote:

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -- Jack Handey
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Seems to me that in a universe so big, there'd have to be life elsewhere. Have no idea if we have or ever will encounter it and am skeptical about most UFO stories. But the subject does bring to mind that humorous quote:

"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." -- Jack Handey
    If there were life everywhere, it would mean the origins of life did not come about by wild chance, but that life arose freely and naturally from non-life.

And if that were true we would find many different origins of life here on Earth.

But we have discovered only one tree of life. We have discovered only one origin of life on Earth.

And as we have found only one form of life, only one form of DNA, on Earth, it is likely we are the only life form in the entire universe.

For the place to look for alien life forms is not in space, but here on Earth. And so far, even with gene sequencing, we have found no alien life on Earth.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The UFO movement has all the hallmarks of a paranoid obsession.

And paranoid obsessions distract us with their internal consistency, their logic.

They say that if the theory is internally consistent, if it is logical, it is true.

But this is merely sleight of hand to make UFOs plausible.

Unfortunately UFOs are highly implausible.

Theories are like computers. They both work on the same principle - garbage in, garbage out.
    Vic.. saying I find a theory fascinating is not in any way saying I believe in it or that I am even distracted by it.
    I am interested in possibilities.
    No matter how improbable or implausible something is.. Because it has been thought, It is then possible.

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Vic.. saying I find a theory fascinating is not in any way saying I believe in it or that I am even distracted by it.
    I am interested in possibilities.
    No matter how improbable or implausible something is.. Because it has been thought, It is then possible.
    UFOs are derivative of a belief in the Sky God.

But we have now gone above the clouds and even into orbit, but we can see there is no Sky God.

But still we long to be saved from the sky, so we still keep looking for UFOs, although in all this time we have found no evidence whatsoever. So at this point we are only working with blind faith.

I mean there is no more evidence for UFOs than for Poseidon, Zeus or the Trinity.

The Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries replaced blind faith with evidence and reason. However the New Age Movement seeks to return us to blind faith.

However blind faith is not only bad science, it is bad art as well.

Blind faith is simply bad taste, just as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

UFO's exist in the sense that we may sometimes see things we can not identify. Doesn't mean it has to be aliens.

I am also pretty certain that there are many, many people entertaining the thought of alien life for many purposes. Differing from public attention to profits.

I can not deny the possibility of other life out there in the universe. And thus I can not deny that we have been potentially visited by alien life forms.

But for as long as my life and theirs do not cross or can not benefit in any way, I see no reason to ponder the fact if they exist. Because you won't find the answer, and you can't believe other peoples so-called sightings or video's, because it's pretty easy to forge.

So unless they come to visit me personally, or my life is affected by them in some way. I have no reason to believe any of it is true. And I honestly don't care.

That's pretty much my stance on it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

UFOs are derivative of a belief in the Sky God.

But we have now gone above the clouds and even into orbit, but we can see there is no Sky God.

But still we long to be saved from the sky, so we still keep looking for UFOs, although in all this time we have found no evidence whatsoever. So at this point we are only working with blind faith.

I mean there is no more evidence for UFOs than for Poseidon, Zeus or the Trinity.

The Enlightenment of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries replaced blind faith with evidence and reason. However the New Age Movement seeks to return us to blind faith.

However blind faith is not only bad science, it is bad art as well.

Blind faith is simply bad taste, as the New Age is for those with poor taste, just like UFOs.
    Vic.. saying something is possible does not make it absolute by the very nature of the word possible. It leaves the situation open .. open even to the fact that might also be impossible. I am not seeking to advocate nor discredit anyone or anything on this subject.
    You do not need to convince me of your views on the subject, I am well aware of them and also the school of thought that goes along with them.
    I respect your opinion exactly for what it is..An opinion. I am old enough, Intelligent enough and experienced enough to know that opinions and facts are not the same thing.. Ever!!!
    A simple solution to the angst you encounter with yourself while on these forums could easily be solved by knowing that difference..
    I invite you to give it a try.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Aliens and UFO's?... Forget space,... Maybe they come from beneath the surface of the ocean,(Atlantis?) that theory could hold water much better then the idea of them coming from somewhere far off in outer space.

"UFO's" seemingly have a practical design for hydrodynamics as well as aerodynamics, and the typical "ET" is seen as a grey coloured being with large black eyes, almost as if they lived in an environment with very little light and oxygen, if any!...

They could be "fishmen"... In ancient Mesopotamia the Sumerians had metaphorical depictions of men wearing fish as head dressings, and just for the record, we only know about 4% of what is in our own oceans...I have enough faith to assume that the concept alone is responsible for their existence, but seeing is definitely believing.

How would one begin to determine our true purpose if ET's were real? What would be the ET's purpose in comparison to our own?

Or,... It's just the Germans screwing with all of what they call "Die dummkopfs"!

Cool thread BTW!
    Or military operations. It's not too far stretched to think scientists have created a craft potentially capable of nullifying gravity through creating a certain opposite momentum. And that such technology is not made public because the outcome of such technology in the wrong hands, say terrorist hands, would render everything on earth unsafe.

It's pretty frightening to think such technology could deliver warheads and bombs to any place on earth within seconds. Taking away any chance to counter measure.

I mean, if we're talking about what is more likely. I'd say humans are the most likely source of UFO's.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Personally, I see no reason why there wouldn't be some sort of life else where. I can't say that I believe they look like the aliens that people draw with the big green heads, but I find it hard to believe that we're the only planet with anything actually living on it. If there are lots of other galaxy's and places, why not. We haven't reached the end of this... creation... this Universe we're in. So I wouldn't be surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.