User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Default ADHD, Fact or Fiction?

I always thought ADHD was not a big deal, a while back i studied about it (out of boredom) and found myself with alot of the symptoms, I dismissed it as an excuse to be lazy. While i found myself relating, it never occured to me to see a psychiatrist to really see if i need treatment for it or not. While i am prompt to study harder because i do have some sort of learning disabilities and learning new information is very taxing on me mentally (I thought this was normal to learning new subjects). I usually have to read something 2-3 times before remembering any details, and i don't notice mistake on my writing/work till i checked it again. So i usually had to double/triple check majority of my work for errors. But it does bring questions to your intelligence when you have to constantly check your work constantly and lower your self esteem (specially if your an INTP, sigh). Not only that, for the first time in 8 years, i'am going to college. Going to college was an easy decision for me. I've always wanted to, but my habits and use of time was so chaotic in the past that I doubted myself, and leaving a secure job was very taxing and stressful. But I made up my mind to work as hard as possible to graduate. Of course it's easier said than done.

Today, i begged my friend to give me adderall. Now I did not think of it as treating anything. The purpose was to give me energy because i was planning to take a placement exam (and its a math test, one of my worst subject) and i need energy to study (i did research on adderall, and people in college often use it to do a all nighter). Of course i was only expecting a super energy boost (like a extra potent redbull, lol). What i got was alot more. The effect was nothing "but" spectacular (first drug i've taken btw, so no i'm not a addict), it had sort of a calming effect on me. Usually my head is full of random thoughts, jumping from subject to subject, that for the first time i felt I was relaxed, mind and body. And i felt more confident because i felt focus, and it felt different from drinking caffeine, since caffeine/redbull only gives me wings lol.

Now i'm going to see a pyschiatrist soon to perhaps get ADHD medication if i'm diagnose. I think its going to help me significantly, not only with my education, but on all aspect of my life (btw, i have 3 siblings, 2 takes ADHD med as well as my mom).

Now i'm trying to get feedback on people who might know or might have ADHD, or if you think its just another way of saying "i'm lazy", on ways to cope without the medication. I'm not really fond of taking medication and rather not if i can help it, but i have tried many ways to rid myself of my shortcoming, some of these are mostly memory problems, as well as anxiety from too much stimuli. Some methods i used mostly consist of playing mental games, trying to set up routine/habits to follow, and trying to keep myself on task. Problem is, they only last for 2-3 days at the most and I loose interest. And i don't like doing routine, so that doesn't help, and learning subjects and doing activities only last for as long as I'm exited about it (looks up the billion of video games that's sitting on shelves unbeaten).

Enough of my sob story, thoughts regarding ADHD.......*your a idiot comment*, *quit being lazy*, *play smallest violin*, wall of text.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.
    True, i also thought the same thing. That's why i never bothered to see a psychiatrist (if i could buy adderall i would just get it, instead of wasting time in a clinic). But i did not expect the effect to be so helpful. Especially since I do have a hard time memorizing and i make mistake that i don't notice (putting a + instead of a minus sign on a math problem is one example, and this happens enough time that i doubt everything i do). As well as having anxiety because of too much stimuli (i peel my lips because i can't stand the dry skin, as well as not knowing where to rest my jaw, because it seems like its always out of place, and i'm frigging nervous whenever i hit a intersection with another car). The medicine did alleviate those symptoms, so its worth getting(the medication, hate that it requires prescription) for those alone (since it gets anoying). Now i might or might not have ADHD, but i do relate to alot of its symptom. It doesn't disable me, it just makes everything harder and I do get alot of WTF moments.

Now imagine not being able to stand routine things as well as getting bored when reading technical materials that you would like learn. Wow, its like, you can't stand to do SJ jobs, but not enough patience/knowledge to do NT crap (now your looking at a stupid INTP, wtf god, which is a very bad combination). You do have a point, people is milking the crap out of it. And the cause still remains a mystery and probably belongs to the same catergory as "intelligent life form in another planet".

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

It does correspond with personality type - but it's not our world. Not being able to slog past the bullshit for whatever reason, particularly when there's a structural difference in the brain that can be demonstrated (smaller left prefrontal cortex), it lends a lot of credence to the idea that something not quite right is going on here.

There wouldn't be any controversy in the general public if people weren't given amphetamine for it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It does correspond with personality type - but it's not our world. Not being able to slog past the bullshit for whatever reason, particularly when there's a structural difference in the brain that can be demonstrated (smaller left prefrontal cortex), it lends a lot of credence to the idea that something not quite right is going on here.

There wouldn't be any controversy in the general public if people weren't given amphetamine for it.
    Of course it does correspond with some personality type, but SPs are generally outstanding in sport/music and have the tendancy to became virtuoso in their choosen activity (or at least wow the average joe with their dexterity). But the two subjects does share a room and many questions the reliablity of "personality type" as much as ADHD. Of course ADHD is getting fat off the peoples tax dollars and the other isn't. *kicks basketball into the violin*

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

My ADHD comment:

I think there are some people who indeed do have problems with concentration.

But what I'm very worried about is how the society wants everybody to be average and "normal". I mean, everybody, who is not average or "normal" in majority's eyes is seen mentally ill these days. It's over medication.

So, everybody who isn't seen as average or "normal" is medicated to be "normal". I hate that. Just like young children think that the movie stars who have gone under many different plastic sugeries are normal people by looks and the objective of the children is to become one. Hello! It's only surgery and plastic and on the other hand. It's all quite sick stuff.

I suspect many children with ADHD diagnostic these days don't have it, they are just children aren't average in certain behavioral things.

I don't know the case with the original author. This was just my comment on the ADHD thing that is going on in the society.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post

Seconded.

... I would also think that the problem with ADHD is (merely) contemporary with what people generally go through. Given we're all different, and are diverse in many ways, what we tend to do is look at others, and compare/relate for that senseless 'sense' of belonging, and fit in.

So, in other words, ADHD may be one of the human obstacles that people have only 'named', whereas there may still be a lot more so-called 'obstacles' to name yet.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    X/0

Quote Originally Posted by alcea rosea View Post
    My ADHD comment:

I think there are some people who indeed do have problems with concentration.

But what I'm very worried about is how the society wants everybody to be average and "normal". I mean, everybody, who is not average or "normal" in majority's eyes is seen mentally ill these days. It's over medication.

So, everybody who isn't seen as average or "normal" is medicated to be "normal". I hate that. Just like young children think that the movie stars who have gone under many different plastic sugeries are normal people by looks and the objective of the children is to become one. Hello! It's only surgery and plastic and on the other hand. It's all quite sick stuff.

I suspect many children with ADHD diagnostic these days don't have it, they are just children aren't average in certain behavioral things.

I don't know the case with the original author. This was just my comment on the ADHD thing that is going on in the society.

Sociaty does tend to look down on things that is not normal, but the general idea of bringing someone to the "normal" level is generally so said individual has the same opportunity as everyone else. Of course plastic surgery is a little different from a mental disorder (or similar if you take the context that someone who isn't happy about their look is burden by it), but sociaty does demand that a person should contribute to its well being, and not being normal can hinder said person to sociaties "ideal person". Wheather the individual choose to obey sociaties demand or to disobey it to follow their own belief is up to that individual. But wheather that person likes it or not, he will eventually will get sucked in and to disobey will often times lead to a life of solitude or brand as a outcast (the belief of an individual is tied into his happiness, so long as it doesn't interfere, its perfectly acceptable nowdays). But people with mental disorder sometimes don't even know they have choices till sociaty intervenes.

-note my response does not pertain anything regarding ADHD

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And, indeed, there is a non-stimulant drug that treats ADHD.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    And, indeed, there is a non-stimulant drug that treats ADHD.
    Strattera hardly works for shit. It just makes you walk around in a fog all day.