User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

  1. #11
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

    I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.
    Agreed. I have issues focusing, especially if I am expected to operate outside of my preferred mode of multi-tasking. Focusing on one thing at a time kills me. Give me 7 things to do and four hours to do them all and I will give you 7 great work products. Give me 1 thing to do and four hours to do it and you will get shit.

    Also, if I am in a meeting, and I am not presenting, or at least being asked to contribuite meaningfully, I literally go to sleep. A few years ago, the second in charge of my Agency sent an e-mail to my BlackBerry with a subject of "WAKE UP! " during a meeting. I was out cold. My Blackberry buzzed, I read that, looked right up at her, and she was staring me in the eye barely able to suppress the laughter rising from within her. It was a funny moment. We were cool so she never razzed me about it.

    Finally, if I am expected to do low-level non-creative work, it totally bores me and slows me down.

    I have a prescription for Ritalin, as Adderall is name brand and really expensive. I didn't get any meds for ADHD until I was about 30. Many people I've known have said that I am the ADHD poster child. Always happy, creative, talks fast, walks fast, uses much hand movement when talking, fidgets when trying to sit still, blurted out things during grade school I shouldn't have, etc.

    BUT - I do not consider this a disorder. At this point to me, it is a gift. I know how to use it. I seek out environments where I am able to supervise myself and be OK. If I do need meds for a particular day or short duration of time, I have them. Rock on. Let's live.

  2. #12
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Agreed. I have issues focusing, especially if I am expected to operate outside of my preferred mode of multi-tasking. Focusing on one thing at a time kills me. Give me 7 things to do and four hours to do them all and I will give you 7 great work products. Give me 1 thing to do and four hours to do it and you will get shit.

    Also, if I am in a meeting, and I am not presenting, or at least being asked to contribuite meaningfully, I literally go to sleep. A few years ago, the second in charge of my Agency sent an e-mail to my BlackBerry with a subject of "WAKE UP! " during a meeting. I was out cold. My Blackberry buzzed, I read that, looked right up at her, and she was staring me in the eye barely able to suppress the laughter rising from within her. It was a funny moment. We were cool so she never razzed me about it.

    Finally, if I am expected to do low-level non-creative work, it totally bores me and slows me down.

    I have a prescription for Ritalin, as Adderall is name brand and really expensive. I didn't get any meds for ADHD until I was about 30. Many people I've known have said that I am the ADHD poster child. Always happy, creative, talks fast, walks fast, uses much hand movement when talking, fidgets when trying to sit still, blurted out things during grade school I shouldn't have, etc.

    BUT - I do not consider this a disorder. At this point to me, it is a gift. I know how to use it. I seek out environments where I am able to supervise myself and be OK. If I do need meds for a particular day or short duration of time, I have them. Rock on. Let's live.
    Sounds familiar.

    I don't consider myself a bad person for being diagnosed with this particular neurochemical difference. I just realize that I live in a world whose rules are profoundly different than the one I was wired to thrive in. If I want success for myself and the ones I care about, I have to find a way to function in that world. Medication helps immensely.

    The neurodiversity argument bugs me, as well. It's like there's this fear that everyone is going to be forced into a SJ pod-person shell. I can assure you, even when I'm on the meds, I'm still NP as all hell - it's just that I can turn it off for a little while when drudgery has to be slogged through, and let's face it, we live in a post-agricultural/industrial world. There's going to be a ton of drudgery and grunt work even in the most interesting of lines of work. Until I can pay someone to do all that crap for me, I'm going to have to get through it.

  3. #13
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I think ADHD is bullshit. It's a made up condition, a basket of symptoms "defined" as a "disorder".

    I say this as someone who worked closely with a healthcare company specializing in ADHD. I think you could even make an argument that some people appear to have ADHD because of differences in personality type. For example, I bet EXXP types are more "ADHD" than other types.
    My wife says that the problem is that it is overdiagnosed. Doesn't mean there is no such disease (or that it is tied to certan types). Too bad this didn't come up when we met, as we could have discussed it.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  4. #14
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    We see what we want to see, it's an illusion.

    Let us all carry on dancing our own dances.

    After all, this ball only lasts until 12.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I think ADHD exists, but I don't think it should be treated with ritalin. I think kids who prefer physical activity should be allowed to be physical. I think parents should stop stuffing their kids with sugar. And hold off on the caffienated beverages, by the way, I can't believe the dumb shits who give two year olds pepsi.

    There are some valid cases, though. But other things should be ruled out first, and children should be allowed to PLAY.

  6. #16
    Once Was Synarch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    8,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think ADHD exists, but I don't think it should be treated with ritalin. I think kids who prefer physical activity should be allowed to be physical. I think parents should stop stuffing their kids with sugar. And hold off on the caffienated beverages, by the way, I can't believe the dumb shits who give two year olds pepsi.

    There are some valid cases, though. But other things should be ruled out first, and children should be allowed to PLAY.
    I think a lot of it is due to lack of exercise and poor diet. When I get my ass kicked physically I am a lot more calm, relaxed, and focused.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    My wife says that the problem is that it is overdiagnosed. Doesn't mean there is no such disease (or that it is tied to certan types). Too bad this didn't come up when we met, as we could have discussed it.
    Indeed.


    There are many consequences for all the pollution in air, water, personal hygiene, and food that people consume. ADHD is just a tip of the disease boom iceberg.

  8. #18
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    I think the pace of our society encourages ADHD-like behavior. This is the world of the 24 second news cycle. How could this cultivate attention span and patience?

    I'd like to add that, regardless of it's viability as a disease I think it's harmful to give psychiatric pills to people before puberty, and I'll bet it permanently effects them. They are still developing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #19
    Iron Maiden fidelia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx
    Posts
    11,122

    Default

    All disorders are just a collection of symptoms that have been correlated after observing their occurance in a number of people. It's just a shorhand way of listing off the symptoms someone is experiencing. I don't think ADHD has to be a sentence.

    As a parent, I would not want to give my child Ritalin. It does have a dampening affect on all aspects of the child and they are often not working at their optimum. I have talked to adults who were diagnosed with ADHD in high school. They took meds for awhile, but didn't like the way it made them feel. They eventually found other ways of dealing with it through having things like a stress ball to squeeze, some kind of repetitive movement to help them focus, walking while readiing and so on.

    The main factors I have seen that contribute to inattention and hyperactivity of kids I've taught have included:

    Going through an emotionally traumatic situation (divorce, separation from a loved one, a move, big change in their lives).

    Poor diet and not enough exercise

    Need for stronger emotional attachments to caring adults

    Too much peer stimulation, not enough adult involvement

    Excessive amount of TV/video games

    However, our schools are also not set up to meet the needs of active, hands on learner who need to move around. As a teacher, I do not have control over their home situation. Many parents are more likely to wish to get a prescription rather than change their whole lifestyle. There are some children that I wouldn't teach in a classroom setting without these drugs, although I personally dislike them and question the long term effects on the child.

    For adults, I think the same factors are worth taking into consideration before using drugs to cope. It may require you to also think carefully about what kind of profession you choose to go in to. I also would be very careful to make sure that you research all of the possible long term health effects of taking Adderol (or its equivalents). Doctors are only slightly more educated guessers than us. They often are busy and do not have the same interest or time for your health as you do. I wouldn't rule drugs out, but certainly it's worth considering if any emotional issues or other factors are exacerbating the problem.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Frosty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx
    Posts
    5,782

    Default

    ADHD is very real in the affects it can have on human functionality, the symptoms generally coincide with pretty steady affects on human behavior, and although no singular base cause has really been found-I believe?, even if it is an umbrella term doesn't take away from it.

Similar Threads

  1. Migration crisis quiz: can you separate fact from fiction?
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
  2. Truth or fiction about the FBI?
    By Mal12345 in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-27-2012, 11:48 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Sensor Myths- Fact or Fiction? (for SJs too!)
    By miss fortune in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 05:01 PM
  4. Stereotypes: Based on fact or ignorance?
    By Kasper in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 04-02-2010, 05:23 AM
  5. [ENFP] enfp's fact or fiction
    By targobelle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 458
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO