User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 27

  1. #1
    The Architect Alwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    922

    Lightbulb How do you keep up with science?

    Like many of you, I love reading about advancements in science that pop up in mainstream news, as well as seeing whats on LiveScience.com etc. Sometimes I'll pick up a copy of Scientific American that catches my eye, but it's pretty random because I enjoy almost any field. I'd like to have a good consistent stream of general science topics to stay up to date. Plus, it's just a pain for me to read for extended periods from a monitor.

    Are there any major magazines or journals that you subscribe to like Nature, Scientific American etc?

  2. #2

    Default

    I used to subscribe to Nature...that was a really good way...but expensive.

    Of course, Popular Science, Scientific American, and American Scientist are all good too. I read them at the book store... But Nature is a cut above, in my opinon.

    Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

  3. #3
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Like many of you, I love reading about advancements in science that pop up in mainstream news, as well as seeing whats on LiveScience.com etc. Sometimes I'll pick up a copy of Scientific American that catches my eye, but it's pretty random because I enjoy almost any field. I'd like to have a good consistent stream of general science topics to stay up to date. Plus, it's just a pain for me to read for extended periods from a monitor.

    Are there any major magazines or journals that you subscribe to like Nature, Scientific American etc?
    Want to keep up?
    Forget the news. It is about yesterday.
    In science, what is new is not in the news.

  4. #4
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    I've subscribed to a magazine called "Life and Science", not very well known in my country. And there is the Mensa IJ, which has some interesting articles once in a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Forget the news. It is about yesterday.
    In science, what is new is not in the news.
    What do you mean?

  5. #5
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I've subscribed to a magazine called "Life and Science", not very well known in my country. And there is the Mensa IJ, which has some interesting articles once in a while.



    What do you mean?
    I think he means the scientific discoveries that get reported on the news are of fairly old research that has usually permeated the scientific community for quite some time before reaching the public awareness.

  6. #6
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    TED talks mostly.
    And now I need to subscribe to Nature, since ygolo said it was good.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #7
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I read Popular Science and Popular Mechanics occasionally, but mostly I'll peruse websites like New Scientist, Live Science, and the science section on MSNBC when I need to get my science fix.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    I got my minions. They inform me of any significant or interesting advancements.

  9. #9
    WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    I'm not up to date old science, never mind any new discoveries. I'd suggest people buy some good modern scientific writing to help understand the complete picture. New news articles are only snippets. What's the point of reading a page long article about a breakthrough in neuroscience when you've never read any books about neuroscience?

    Not that I'm claiming that reading science news is bad, but I think people who just read news articles are missing out.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

  10. #10
    Member Fingers Superstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Subscribing to various science podcasts.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] What attracts an ENFP male and how do you keep him?
    By Lightyear in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 01-24-2017, 03:58 PM
  2. How do you come up with avatars?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 07:02 PM
  3. How do you keep birds from flying into windows?
    By cafe in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM
  4. [MBTItm] How do you get along with the SJs?
    By nolla in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 03:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO