User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default The so-called Mini-Ice age and "Global Warming"

How do scientists reconcile history to Global Warming? Just curious to hear perspectives here.

Click on link to see what history has to say about climate in Europe over past 1000 yrs.

http://faculty.history.wisc.edu/somm...es/climate.jpg

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

It's clearly our fault this time and we should cripple developing countries economically with regulations and turn every state into the gleaming gem that is California.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

8.5-10 degrees celsius?

More like a cool breeze age than a mini ice age.

By the way, I think global warming is not as much a threat as been told. And that it just happens to be a hot item with which political leverage is gained. And thus blown out of its proportions.

Now, I'm not saying that there is no global warming. I'm just not convinced it is as bad as people claim it to be. Nor happening as fast as people claim it.

I remember seeing that famous documentary by Al Gore, and every bit of evidence he portrayed was flawed so much. Still, people believe him. It's pretty funny.

I'll just grab the popcorn and enjoy the sheep show.

Next to that, ice ages are a natural phenomenon to earth, and use of fossil fuels may be hastening the process somewhat, I'm still convinced earth will find its way. And we do too.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Heart I will ask you a personal question if you don't mind.

Why do you find global warming so interesting as a subject?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Heart I will ask you a personal question if you don't mind.

Why do you find global warming so interesting as a subject?
    Who knows why anyone is interested in anything?

Back to the subject at hand: I know about the so-called "Mini-ice age" from history study and I wonder how Global Warming devotees reconcile their belief that we're entering a dangerous period of man-made global warming when Historical facts support that Europe has been far warmer than now in the relatively recent past with few ill-effects.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I kind of think global warming might be a little exaggerated. Could it be mistaken for simply natural trends that wax and wane so often? I know Al Gore deems otherwise with his insane graphs, but there's still apart of me that thinks that something about the Earth warming at an exponential rate in the last 50 years more so than it has in the last 10 thousands years is a bit rigged.

Has it ever crossed anybodies mind that maybe, just maybe, we weren't the main cause of global warming? If humans had no hand in it, would the Earth continue to heat up? I'd think so..

Our efforts of 'going green, man!" probably don't do as much as we think. But nonetheless, it can't hurt.

It just seems a bit fishy to me, this global warming business.

Scientists foreshadowing that the world will be uninhabitable in the next 150 years? Give me a break.

All I'm saying is that I, personally, don't think we play a very large roll in global warming, if any at all. I think it is simply a fold of trends, maybe a coincidence, and that the Earth is doing it's own thing. But nonetheless, we should continue to be more a bit more careful with what we release into the atmosphere.

And all the 'go green' stuff is really annoying, sorry.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I'm less concerned about global warming as I am about the general destruction of our environment/ecosystems. The more I travel the smaller the world seems and the more I realise we are living in a tiny fishbowl, with no one to come around and change the dirty water.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I don't understand why people call it "mini-ice age" or "warming"... It's both... or rather more extreme and "unpredictable" weather. No I don't take earth sciences or oceanology but you can see if you examine the current weather patterns. It's like an untrimmed airplane oscillating further and further away from the center. I don't know what will happen when it oscillates out of the equilibrium "buffering" capacity...

Yes it's a sense of impeding doom, but no I don't think there's much we can do about this at this point in time. I suppose we can worsen or delay the onset but it'll eventually happen.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

your resident asshole

Isn't global warming really part of a natural weather cycle that the Earth has? I'm not saying that we aren't responsible for part of it, but isn't the Earth supposed to have periods of highs and lows in temperature? I have no sources here, but I can't help but thinking I've heard that somewhere. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I know this graphics too and I do know about the mini iceage (I needed some days to get used to that word, which is wrong in so many ways ).

I am no doom-monger myself when it comes to global warming, I am rather a fan of the model that says centuries change between cold and hot periods.

But I nevertheless think we shall be a bit more responsible with the things we do, where and when it is possible. That means to watch the consumption of our resources and the exhaust our industries produce.

I find it a bit embarassing to see a modern country like America to hit the roof of the emissions scale twice, cause thats not necessary. Alone economically you can make so much money at the moment with modernisation of plants to green energy + optimize the whole process in a way that your gain in the end is increased.

But that we are the architects of our own demise and the Earth is going to globally warm up, I dont think. The Earth has survived much worser plagues than mankind
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]