• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing?

ygolo

My termites win
One of human-kind's greatest achievements.

What are your thoughts on the first moon landing, and what do you believe should be the modern goals in space?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not one of humankinds greatest achievements. That's for sure.

I mean come on. The whole thing was a huge ass meaningless media feeding space race..

It's an achievement, but not for 'humankind'.

Start colonizing space. Discovering more than moondust. Then it'll be an achievement for humankind.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I've been reading Asimov and it makes me wish we would explore space more.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not one of humankinds greatest achievements. That's for sure.

I mean come on. The whole thing was a huge ass meaningless media feeding space race..

It's an achievement, but not for 'humankind'.

Start colonizing space. Discovering more than moondust. Then it'll be an achievement for humankind.

+ over 9000

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it was a titanic achievement, perhaps the most scientifically and technically impressive accomplishment so far by the human race. Specifically to Fluffywolf's comment, you have to walk before you can run, and this was a tremendous first step. The political climate may have turned it into the kind of race you're talking about, but that's putting the cart before the horse. It would have happened anyway, and it's an invaluable step in any long-term plan for colonization.

I think for the foreseeable future we should restrict manned space activity to near-Earth space. The kind of multinational cooperation required to make a manned effort beyond Earth cannot be marshaled right now, mostly due to who gets the technology rights. And I'm not sure it can be justified economically.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think it is one of the greatest technological achievements. Whether or not it was necessary is another question.

Oh, most definatly. I just find the 'FOR ALL HUMANKIND' to be a bit misconceived.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Who cares if it didn't provide much practical achievements for mankind.

It's what it represents. It's a disgrace to those who risked their lives on attempting it to say it was meaningless or even a hoax.

Have some respect for those who devoted countless hours and hours, even months and years to the production of the Moon Landing, those who took up the challenge, and the even more who it inspired back on Earth.

It really was one large step for mankind in my opinion, more for what it represents than any concrete outcomes. You can't really criticize it because you weren't there or didn't take part in it, Fluffy Wolf.

It was a hope in the heart of the Vietnamese War, in the middle of space race, during the Cold War. It really did mean something to Americans and is a crowned jewel to America. It's really annoying that all these new age liberals are saying it was for nothing, and the conspiracy theories behind it, it really grinds my gears.

How can you say it wasn't productive or meaningful when you have no idea what it was really like or really no evidence to prove otherwise?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh, most definatly. I just find the 'FOR ALL HUMANKIND' to be a bit misconceived.

Just because it didn't provide any help or didn't pay out in riches and gold doesn't mean it was for nothing..

Look what it represents. That humans are not limited to the earth. Few thought it was possible and those in doubt were proven wrong. It's a classic tail of a miracle.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think the moon landing was pretty bitchin (aka a pretty great achievement), but they should've done more, they just left it hanging like a dead high 5, which rendered it almost pretty much utterly pointless. I mean really, if the Apollo 11 moon landing didn't happen, would society be the same as it is today? Yes, most definitely.

On a footnote, the international space station is the most useless thing in the universe.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think the moon landing was pretty bitchin (aka a pretty great achievement), but they should've done more, they just left it hanging like a dead high 5, which rendered it almost pretty much utterly pointless. I mean really, if the Apollo 11 moon landing didn't happen, would society be the same as it is today? Yes, most definitely.

On a footnote, the international space station is the most useless thing in the universe.

Ok. Let me ask you this question:

Where's the next stop after the moon to explore in Space Exploration?
Mars.

How far away is Mars from the earth?
Oh, only about 35 Million Miles. But at it's farthest, it can be up to 250 Millions Miles away.

How far away is the Moon?
252,000 Miles away.

We've already been looking into Mars, sending robots to explore a fraction of it's surface. We've taken pictures from distant parts of this galaxy, which is probably about the best we can do for now.

Think about it.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ok. Let me ask you this question:

Where's the next stop after the moon to explore in Space Exploration?
Mars.

How far away is Mars from the earth?
Oh, only about 35 Million Miles. But at it's farthest, it can be up to 250 Millions Miles away.

How far away is the Moon?
252,000 Miles away.

We've already been looking into Mars, sending robots to explore a fraction of it's surface. We've taken pictures from distant parts of this galaxy, which is probably about the best we can do for now.

Think about it.

Yeah i know man, but we should have set up like a station up on the moon years ago. Instead they just went back to Earth and now they're talking about going back again. That's 40 years that have gone by that could've been spent furthering our studies on the Moon and understanding how it is to live off the Earth. I believe that if we had set up research stations on the moon 40 years ago, we would be closer to getting to Mars now.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
eh, i think if you went back and told any ancient from antiquity, even and especially the well educated like Plato or Confucious, that we would put human beings on a extraterrestrial body, they'd be pretty damn impressed, IF they didn't think you were full of shit.

Its not "for humanity", its for our egos. We can do shit like that, hurrah. It also lets us know we are not restrained to our "eternal cradle"

What's next/left? landing on and enventually terraforming the red planet or one of the moons of saturn or jupiter or w/e. Its pretty pointless to send anything out of our solar system if it can't excede c, so I wouldn't even seriously consider it. c may never be broken, and if it is, it wont happen anytime in our lives - sci fi junkies need to wake up to that one.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yeah i know man, but we should have set up like a station up on the moon years ago. Instead they just went back to Earth and now they're talking about going back again. That's 40 years that have gone by that could've been spent furthering our studies on the Moon and understanding how it is to live off the Earth. I believe that if we had set up research stations on the moon 40 years ago, we would be closer to getting to Mars now.

I'll side with you on this one, my friend.

I've found myself asking the same question, too. Why don't we go back? What's holding us from going back?

But what we did 40 years ago is different from what we're doing today because there are different people in charge, different focuses, and money is a factor.

But still, it does seem a little weird that we haven't gone back. The only way to go now is up, why aren't we?

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
eh, i think if you went back and told any ancient from antiquity, even and especially the well educated like Plato or Confucious, that we would put human beings on a extraterrestrial body, they'd be pretty damn impressed, IF they didn't think you were full of shit.

Its not "for humanity", its for our egos. We can do shit like that, hurrah. It also lets us know we are not restrained to our "eternal cradle"

What's next/left? landing on and enventually terraforming the red planet or one of the moons of saturn or jupiter or w/e. Its pretty pointless to send anything out of our solar system if it can't excede c, so I wouldn't even seriously consider it. c may never be broken, and if it is, it wont happen anytime in our lives - sci fi junkies need to wake up to that one.

+ over 9 million

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'll side with you on this one, my friend.

I've found myself asking the same question, too. Why don't we go back? What's holding us from going back?

But what we did 40 years ago is different from what we're doing today because there are different people in charge, different focuses, and money is a factor.

But still, it does seem a little weird that we haven't gone back. The only way to go now is up, why aren't we?

exactly

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
There is a good documentary out there about a planned Mars mission, headed by Robert Zubrin where they talk about how the moon missions became a sort of reminder of how trivial some of our problems are. For example, people will say things like "if we can put a man on the moon, why can't we solve X social problem."

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Why don't we go back? What's holding us from going back?

We are, it is planned for 2020 I believe. They recently launched a rocket that will slam into the lunar surface and throw up the dust so they can test it for oxygen/water/hydrogen etc. for colonization. I think it launched in May.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
We are, it is planned for 2020 I believe. They recently launched a rocket that will slam into the lunar surface and throw up the dust so they can test it for oxygen/water/hydrogen etc. for colonization. I think it launched in May.

Really? I was being ignorant and refusing to find out anything via google :jew:

I wonder why they're waiting until 2020, but I guess it is/will be extremely costly, and preparations must be perfect and intricately planned out. It's a good idea, too. If they can find O/H20/H etc. than we'll be light years closer to establishing life or something on Mars.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I wonder why they're waiting until 2020, but I guess it is/will be extremely costly, and preparations must be perfect and intricately planned out.

I don't think it is too costly, there are just a lot of engineering issues that need to be solved for semi-permanent colonization. Damnit, I was just reading an article on the rocket they launched and cannot recall the name of it to give you more info. :(