• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What do you think of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I agree it's a good step towards achievement. But we're not at the "Great achievement for humankind".... yet.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've found myself asking the same question, too. Why don't we go back? What's holding us from going back?

Well, if the first one was pointless, returning is REALLY pointless. There is very little that can actually be learned from returning to the moon. There isn't anything particularly special about it, other than it was a handy destination to practice space travel to another celestial body. I think the movement to go back is kind of ridiculous.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, I agree it's a good step towards achievement. But we're not at the "Great achievement for humankind".... yet.

Not for humankind.

Of humankind.

That us as mere animals on this rock have the power to propel ourselves into the stars.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Not for humankind.

Of humankind.

That us as mere animals on this rock have the power to propel ourselves into the stars.

meanwhile all the aliens in the galactic federation are laughing their asses off at us

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Mostly symbolic but very powerful. So long as civilization exists that event will always stand out as the point where humanity had the technology to put humans in a gravity well other than Earth's.

Problem with the moon and space travel in general is that there doesn't seem to be much economic motivation. Early explorers had the draw of resources, but in space there doesn't seem to be any sort of great bounty over the horizon. So anything we could throw at the moon, or Mars even, would provide much greater returns, and therefore benefits to ourselves, if invested locally.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
What's next/left? landing on and enventually terraforming the red planet or one of the moons of saturn or jupiter or w/e. Its pretty pointless to send anything out of our solar system if it can't excede c, so I wouldn't even seriously consider it. c may never be broken, and if it is, it wont happen anytime in our lives - sci fi junkies need to wake up to that one.

That might be a little unfair - many sci-fi people embrace "hard" sci-fi, which attempts to somewhat stick to realistic concepts.

Would it be pointless to send people to other systems before breaking c? Or if c was impossible? That's a rather interesting question.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it was breath-taking, assuming it actually happened. I would like it that we start building more robust, accessible and efficient rockets/space shuttles for futuristic space travel/exploration.

... It would be ideal to explore the rest of the solar system upto the comet belt - I hear that has over a trillion comets, let alone the ones that passed Earth, such as Halley's.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of human-kind's greatest achievements.

What are your thoughts on the first moon landing, and what do you believe should be the modern goals in space?

Capricorn One is a good movie. You should rent it.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
The moon landing was great. Times have changed. I don't think we should waste vast sums of money on the search for ET. It's a luxury we can't afford right now. Our focus should match the times we live in. We should focus on projects with commercial potential.

What good is a base on the moon? Would it save money over maintaining the ISS? Would it contribute so much to science to make it economically viable in these times?

The one great thing I saw recently was the plasma rocket engine that is about to be tested. That really would be worth focusing on. Getting to Mars in 19 days vs. 6 months. But then what will we do on Mars when we get there? Actually going to Mars is something to think about when we are flush with cash.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
How do you think people would react today if we landed on the moon now instead of back in the 60's?

[YOUTUBE="dClpox7qinI"]If I walked on the moon today[/YOUTUBE]

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Perhaps it will take an extraterrestrial threat to unify all mankind and direct resources and time otherwise spent on wars and red tape towards space defense and colonization. Pretty sure this is already the plot of many sci-fi shows. I still can't see how space exploration can be a true priority before the world's nations and countries are truly united.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It was a great achievement given our level of stupidity; then we dropped the fucking ball like us humans are prone to do.