User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, I agree it's a good step towards achievement. But we're not at the "Great achievement for humankind".... yet.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I've found myself asking the same question, too. Why don't we go back? What's holding us from going back?
    Well, if the first one was pointless, returning is REALLY pointless. There is very little that can actually be learned from returning to the moon. There isn't anything particularly special about it, other than it was a handy destination to practice space travel to another celestial body. I think the movement to go back is kind of ridiculous.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Well, I agree it's a good step towards achievement. But we're not at the "Great achievement for humankind".... yet.
    Not for humankind.

Of humankind.

That us as mere animals on this rock have the power to propel ourselves into the stars.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Not for humankind.

Of humankind.

That us as mere animals on this rock have the power to propel ourselves into the stars.
    meanwhile all the aliens in the galactic federation are laughing their asses off at us

MBTI
    INTx

Mostly symbolic but very powerful. So long as civilization exists that event will always stand out as the point where humanity had the technology to put humans in a gravity well other than Earth's.

Problem with the moon and space travel in general is that there doesn't seem to be much economic motivation. Early explorers had the draw of resources, but in space there doesn't seem to be any sort of great bounty over the horizon. So anything we could throw at the moon, or Mars even, would provide much greater returns, and therefore benefits to ourselves, if invested locally.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    meanwhile all the aliens in the galactic federation are laughing their asses off at us
    Those Bastards! It's like looking back at humanity and the stupid things we've done.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    What's next/left? landing on and enventually terraforming the red planet or one of the moons of saturn or jupiter or w/e. Its pretty pointless to send anything out of our solar system if it can't excede c, so I wouldn't even seriously consider it. c may never be broken, and if it is, it wont happen anytime in our lives - sci fi junkies need to wake up to that one.
    That might be a little unfair - many sci-fi people embrace "hard" sci-fi, which attempts to somewhat stick to realistic concepts.

Would it be pointless to send people to other systems before breaking c? Or if c was impossible? That's a rather interesting question.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I think it was breath-taking, assuming it actually happened. I would like it that we start building more robust, accessible and efficient rockets/space shuttles for futuristic space travel/exploration.

... It would be ideal to explore the rest of the solar system upto the comet belt - I hear that has over a trillion comets, let alone the ones that passed Earth, such as Halley's.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    One of human-kind's greatest achievements.

What are your thoughts on the first moon landing, and what do you believe should be the modern goals in space?
    Capricorn One is a good movie. You should rent it.

MBTI
    INTP

The moon landing was great. Times have changed. I don't think we should waste vast sums of money on the search for ET. It's a luxury we can't afford right now. Our focus should match the times we live in. We should focus on projects with commercial potential.

What good is a base on the moon? Would it save money over maintaining the ISS? Would it contribute so much to science to make it economically viable in these times?

The one great thing I saw recently was the plasma rocket engine that is about to be tested. That really would be worth focusing on. Getting to Mars in 19 days vs. 6 months. But then what will we do on Mars when we get there? Actually going to Mars is something to think about when we are flush with cash.