• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BASIC Level "Science Test"

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My mother suffered from a heart attack in 2003 and I became well versed in the topic and drugs related to it. I also have a background in biochemistry.

cool, I'll can to turn to you now when I need a biochemist :thumbup:, your mother was alright though, yes?

Qre:us

Don't believe her. She's really a human encyclopedia.

:ninja: Only on topics that motivates me to find out what colour, size and type of panties it's wearing because I have a motive for it to put out.

cool, I'll can to turn to you now when I need a biochemist :thumbup:, your mother was alright though, yes?

Not a biochemist, thought I would want to be, and that was my stream for a bit in undergrad, and then the :sleeping: factor of it was too much and I switched. It was too 'abstract' (ha!), looking at how biological chemicals worked at the microscopic level....I needed a more direct big-picture connection, and it was too compartmentalized and detailed.

Yes, my mother's fine now, and dependent for the rest of her life on a cocktail of drugs. She had a part to play in it, as most cases of heart disease is preventable if one leads a life taking measures to ensure their well-being. Thanks for asking. :hug:

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Maybe a tad bit of spoiler below, but not really. Highlight to read.

1. Which over-the-counter drug do doctors recommend that people take to help prevent heart attacks?
Not sure why I know this, but I thought it was common knowledge. My dad had a heart attack, and my Grandma took X for high blood pressure. Not to mention, it's common knowledge (I thought) that X is a blood thinner, which logically makes it a good candidate.

2. According to most astronomers, which of the following is no longer considered a planet?
Again, I thought this was common knowledge. It's old news now, and has been all over the news, discovery channel, History Channel, late night skits, maybe even the Disney Channel?

3. Which of the following may cause a tsunami?
After the 2004 tsunami, I honestly find it baffling that anybody over the age of 10 wouldn't know this.

4. The global positioning system, or GPS, relies on which of these to work?
Again, in this day and age, this should be common knowledge. OMG!

5. What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?
If you haven't watched or read the news in the last 15 years, then MAYBE you could be excused for not knowing this. But, come ON!

6. How are stem cells different from other cells?
Again, this has been all over the news, discovery, health, history, etc.. etc.. for some time now. You don't need to be interested in science to know this. Common knowlede, I thought?

7. What have scientists recently discovered on Mars?
I honestly can't comprehend why anyone would not know this. To me, this is the equivalent of not knowing that we have put a man on the moon.

8. The continents on which we live have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move in the future:
I think you learn this in elementery school, and then it's repeated in JH, HS, College, News, Discovery, Internet, etc... It's like not knowing vulcanoes are real.

9. Lasers work by focusing sound waves:
There are actually people that don't know this? That's like not knowing whether cotton candy comes from suger.

10. Antibiotics will kill viruses as well as bacteria:
Again... All over the news with the overuse of antibiotics and all. Any parent should know this for sure. Anybody that's read the news in the last 10 years, and anybody that's ever gone to the doctor for the Flu. Come ON!

11. Electrons are smaller than atoms:
Again, elementary school, JH, HS, Discovery, etc, etc... Very very basic. Should be common knowledge.

12. All radioactivity is man-made:
Holy shit! I'm speachless on this one.

Sorry if I offend, but this truly shocks me.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not a biochemist, thought I would want to be, and that was my stream for a bit in undergrad, and then the :sleeping: factor of it was too much and I switched. It was too 'abstract' (ha!), looking at how biological chemicals worked at the microscopic level....I needed a more direct big-picture connection, and it was too compartmentalized and detailed.

Yes, my mother's fine now, and dependent for the rest of her life on a cocktail of drugs. She had a part to play in it, as most cases of heart disease is preventable if one leads a life taking measures to ensure their well-being. Thanks for asking. :hug:

I've heard a few things about biochemistry, I'm glad that I'm not doing it. No probs, I have trouble consoling people like this, hope I did a good job :hug:

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I find it interesting that on the demographic breakdown, men did better on all questions accept the two that were health related. :devil::devil::devil:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Again, it just felt like I was clubbing an imobilized baby seal... and I've been out of school for the last 7 years.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Imagine if it wasn't multiple choice, fill in the blank. Some of the options are just too ridiculous making this even easier. I got 11/12 though.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find it interesting that on the demographic breakdown, men did better on all questions accept the two that were health related. :devil::devil::devil:

yeah, the pattern seemed to be that men were better at general science, women had a better handle on personal/daily-practical (i.e., dealing with family) science.

stigmatica said:
There are actually people that don't know this? That's like not knowing whether cotton candy comes from suger.

I'm shocked.
I thought it came from sugar.

:devil:

stigmatica

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
yeah, the pattern seemed to be that men were better at general science, women had a better handle on personal/daily-practical (i.e., dealing with family) science.

I'm shocked.

Oh, you evil evil lady, you. Here's my hand. Go ahead and smack it good with your ruler. :cry:

HARDER! I said HARDER!!! :D

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

I'm shocked.

I did get the antibiotic question wrong... I guess women are just better at cooking and being nurses.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
I got 12/12

8. The continents on which we live have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move in the future:

I took issue with this question, because in the very very distant future the core of earth will cool and eventually solidify, ceasing all tectonic movement.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I took issue with this question, because in the very very distant future the core of earth will cool and eventually solidify, ceasing all tectonic movement.

They figure the sun will go nova before it gets to that point.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
The questions are "current-event science" questions.