User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

12/12, but those weren't really scienc-y questions. More like pop culture questions.

MBTI
    INFP

12 right... that wasn't science, that was barely general knowledge...

....is it possible for someone to find a better basic level science test? That one felt kind of... lacking in substance.
    Beware, I live.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

11/12, thanks to liquid laser, I know that I got the Aspirin question wrong, I had no freaking idea, and aspirin is made for the purposes of pain relief, I assumed it was some other random drug that just barely sound familiar. That is not science , it's just random knowledge.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    That is not science , it's just random knowledge.
    Agreed. Do you know how I know most of this stuff? Watching the news and constantly hearing commercials saying "If you take aspirin for your heart, consider... blah blah."

Basically, it really just measures how much attention you pay to TV commercials and the news.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Agreed. Do you know how I know most of this stuff? Watching the news and constantly hearing commercials saying "If you take aspirin for your heart, consider... blah blah."

Basically, it really just measures how much attention you pay to TV commercials and the news.
    There are also some articles that say that Aspirin might not even have beneficial effects on the heart. Knowing the general scientific method would be more useful, or even some sort of applicable ability with mathematics/theoretical thinking.

I don't watch television all that much, I just happened to recall learning about some of these things in school/while chatting with school mates/looking up things on the net. I'd suspect that you'd have trouble with these questions if you're either live under a rock or have simply never encountered the information required to answer the questions. You don't send a student into an exam room without teaching them anything, perhaps a test in which you are required to apply some kind of information to a problem would be a better measure of scientific knowledge?
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    12/12, but those weren't really scienc-y questions. More like pop culture questions.
    Exactly...You could work in science, but if you don't pay attention to current events you wouldn't be able to get 12/12 on this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

You mean I actually know some pop culture, I thought that was all more entertainment and the like.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are also some articles that say that Aspirin might not even have beneficial effects on the heart.
    There's a pretty good understanding of the biological mechanism by which Aspirin works to affect the heart. A man won the Nobel prize for outlining exactly how Aspirin works in general. Asprin is one of the 'oldest' over-the-counter drug, introduced in the late 1800s, and most widely sold pharmaceutical drug, hence time and usage enough to study it in depth and its repercussions.

It's basically a blood thinner, meaning it stops platelets from aggregating by inhibiting COX-1 (an enzyme in the platelets) that's responsible for inflammation. Negatives of aspirin is that it can affect the stomach lining (COX-1 helps in forming the stomach lining, hence too much aspirin and you're killing your stomach lining) and the kidneys.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    There's a pretty good understanding of the biological mechanism by which Aspirin works to affect the heart. A man won the Nobel prize for outlining exactly how it works. Asprin is one of the 'oldest' over-the-counter drug, introduced in the late 1800s, and most widely sold pharmaceutical drug, hence time and usage enough to study it in depth and its repercussions.

It's basically a blood thinner, meaning it stops platelets from aggregating by inhibiting COX-1 (an enzyme in the platelets) that's responsible for inflammation. Negatives of aspirin is that it can affect the stomach lining (COX-1 helps in forming the stomach lining, hence too much aspirin and you're killing your stomach lining) and the kidneys.
    That is awesome, did you look that up or just know it off the top of your head?
    5 3 9

That is awesome, did you look that up or just know it off the top of your head?
    My mother suffered from a heart attack in 2003 and I became well versed in the topic and drugs related to it. I also had to sit through a lecture in my undergrad Uni's biochemistry class, 3hrs, and the topic of the day was...dun dun dun...Aspirin.