User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    We didn't create it, we just found some scary uses for it.
    I didn't see the all so i was like true, stupid words hiding from me.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I believe they did the research independantly and offline.

I don't believe our online results affect the numbers at all.
    It might not be independent of our efforts.

Could be that a few dozen results isn't statistically significant to nudge a data set of a few million? just guessing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

12/12 Those weren't too hard, but I could see how the average person wouldn't know about these things without being interested in them first. I would have thought "basic" science questions would be more related to the main laws of Newtonian physics, limited chemistry, limited biology, and a little bit of "earth science". The sorts of things people should know about how the world works on a very basic level so that they could survive just fine on a day-to-day basis.

I would not expect the average person to know what stem cells can do, how lasers work, or how big an electron is. These are things that are interesting to know, but will not make or break your understanding of the world. That a person knows that atoms exist and they are extremely small, that cells make up your body and can be damaged, and that lasers can damage your eyes because they are very bright is good enough really.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    12/12 Those weren't too hard, but I could see how the average person wouldn't know about these things without being interested in them first. I would have thought "basic" science questions would be more related to the main laws of Newtonian physics, limited chemistry, limited biology, and a little bit of "earth science". The sorts of things people should know about how the world works on a very basic level so that they could survive just fine on a day-to-day basis.

I would not expect the average person to know what stem cells can do, how lasers work, or how big an electron is. These are things that are interesting to know, but will not make or break your understanding of the world. That a person knows that atoms exist and they are extremely small, that cells make up your body and can be damaged, and that lasers can damage your eyes because they are very bright is good enough really.
    I'm pretty average haven't taken science since highschool, the worlds just dumb in general.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I got the tsunami wrong, which I thought I might. It also counted my correct answer as incorrect (what was found on mars) It read my correct answer as a wrong one :/ I even when back and checked and I had marked the correct answer. That might help explain some low scores!

All twelve right. Though my dog could probably get 9 or 10.

I heard the literacy level was low enough at one stage that companies wanted to support schools so people could understand their advertising.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

12 for 12.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    All 12, but I was expecting something a lot harder based on the chart. Damn!
    +1
    Is current science education a joke or are people not retaining the basic stuff?
    Ti (43); Ne (41.8); Te (33.7); Fi (30.5); Ni (27.5); Se (24.7); Si (21.5); Fe (17.3)
    The More You Know the Less You Need. - Aboriginal Saying

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I only got 10 out of 12 correct. I didn't know that aspirin prevents heart attacks nor have I ever heard of anyone taking aspirin for that purpose. The other one that threw me was "recently" finding water on Mars. I thought they discovered that a while ago.

Most of the others tended to be things I actually learned in a science class.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by durentu View Post
    It might not be independent of our efforts.

Could be that a few dozen results isn't statistically significant to nudge a data set of a few million? just guessing.
    There could be a lot of people on-line taking it. Also, most serious institutions would only take on-line statistics under much more controlled environments.

It would be unwise of them to claim them to be U.S. statistics, also... for the very reason that there could be people from all over the world taking it.

Pew usually does phone or in person surveys, I think. They may use the on-line results for something else. A basis for funding of a study of net users vs. not.

Also, I don't really see this as a failure in science education. Rather, I see it as a failure of people to either pay attention to science news or to comprehend the science news they do pay attention to.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield