• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Neurosecurity: Protecting the Brain from Hackers

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Your thoughts are secure. Mostly. For now at least....

Some might question why anyone would want to hack into someone else's brain, but the researchers say there's a precedent for using computers to cause neurological harm. In November 2007 and March 2008, malicious programmers vandalized epilepsy support Web sites by putting up flashing animations, which caused seizures in some photo-sensitive patients.

From: The Journal of Neurosurgery, "Neurosecurity: security and privacy for neural devices", July, 2009
Cognitive Function Augmentation

Another branch of neural engineering research rehabilitates cognitive function by using neural engineering to bridge damaged brain tissue; an example of this is memory augmentation. Several neurosecurity concerns may arise.... A hacker should not be able to alter the settings of the device wirelessly to stimulate the brain in an unsafe manner or to interfere with the normal formation of memories (integrity); for example, a hacker should not be able to cause disproportionately intense memories or cause unimportant things to become long-term memories. As noted above, the plasticity of the brain can cause spurious electrical signals to make long-term alterations to the brain’s normal function.

Because these technologies will be intimately connected to a patient’s cognitive functions, we must ensure that future technological advances do not unintentionally jeopardize the privacy of an individual’s mind (confidentiality). For example, if it is possible to determine whether a patient is familiar with something by wirelessly eavesdropping on the implant’s signals, then neurosecurity dictates that the implant should be designed to conceal this information; otherwise, the patient could be forced to reveal potentially private information. Last, we must ensure that a hacker cannot simply disable the device, thereby causing unexpected gaps in a patient’s memory (availability).

I agree with the authors that this isn't a significant issue now, but it will be in 10-20 years.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP

The question is: Are you queasy from uncertainty about hackers, or are you queasy because someone has already hacked your brain? :thelook:

:nerd: :D

------------------------------
Update:

I think transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a very real, though unlikely, threat right now.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZUm97N4GNg"]:unsure:[/YOUTUBE]

Ok, so it appears from the design of the device in the video that we're safe from everyone except our dentist or hairdresser, right?

Nooooo! It's now available as a portable device! :horor:

Don't let people hold things too close to your head on the subway! Don't sleep too close to the wall if you're in an apartment or hotel room!

;)

Windigo

I can see it now as a new government agency run by the Dept. of Homeland Security under the guise of limiting potential threats of terrorism. It makes me wish I was born in the past.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

‎"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us..."