• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Nikola Tesla

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think I can say without exaggeration that there is not one scientist in history whom I respect and admire more than Nikolai Tesla. If my middle name was not all ready "Nicholas", I would probably name my first-born son "Nikolai". By comparison, Thomas Edison might as well be an unusually stupid chimpanzee.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A loved topic round these parts.

I saw these tidbits in the Wikipedia profile of him and found them intriguing:

Tesla may have suffered from obsessive-compulsive disorder, and had many unusual quirks and phobias. He did things in threes, and was adamant about staying in a hotel room with a number divisible by three. Tesla was physically revolted by jewelry, notably pearl earrings.[105] He was fastidious about cleanliness and hygiene, and was by all accounts mysophobic.

Tesla was obsessed with pigeons, ordering special seeds for the pigeons he fed in Central Park and even bringing injured ones into his hotel room to nurse them back to health. Tesla was an animal-lover, often reflecting contentedly about a childhood cat, "The Magnificent Mačak." Tesla never married. He was celibate and claimed that his chastity was very helpful to his scientific abilities.[23] Nonetheless there have been numerous accounts of women vying for Tesla's affection, even some madly in love with him. Tesla, though polite, behaved rather ambivalently to these women in the romantic sense.
Nevertheless, Tesla could be harsh at times; he openly expressed his disgust for overweight people, once firing a secretary because of her weight.[106] He was quick to criticize others' clothing as well, on several occasions directing a subordinate to go home and change her dress.[23]

F

figsfiggyfigs

I am not good with remembering names, so when someone mentioned him to me, I had no idea who he was, until I researched it.
It seems he received the shorter end of the stick. Tesla deserves more acclamation than Edison, and it is upsetting that this isn't the case.

R

Riva

I felt sorry when I read about him.

All that genius and ending up impoverished? Very very sad indeed.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I felt sorry when I read about him.

All that genius and ending up impoverished? Very very sad indeed.

From what I had read about him (admittedly, this was years ago and was not extensive) he was a genius but had no common sense and worse, no business sense. Didn't he get duped out of a large sum of money by one of the Duponts or Carnegies or some other captain of industry?

R

Riva

From what I had read about him (admittedly, this was years ago and was not extensive) he was a genius but had no common sense and worse, no business sense. Didn't he get duped out of a large sum of money by one of the Duponts or Carnegies or some other captain of industry?

Ah I see. He does give a vibe of a man without much common sense. (Referring to his phobias and his social skills and his compulsive disorders.)

He is at often times is typed as an ENTP. If he is an ENTP maybe he is an Enneagram 5? I get an INTP vibe from him than an ENTP vibe.

Edison on the other hand was to be admired when it came to his business sense. He is also typed as an ENTP. Wonder whether he was an ENTJ?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This comment isn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread.

I think it's funny how every time a great inventor/scientist/artist/ or otherwise unique and productive person's MBTI type is contemplated that ENTP / INTP / INTJ /and ENTJ seem to be the only four MBTI types that are thought ot have any capacity to be intelligent, creative, and otherwise talented enough to apply their gifts in a way to make Earth shattering discoveries.

Contemplation of the MBTI type of the deceased is a guessing game fueled by nothing more than observations of the individuals in question traits from recorded literature, or in some rare cases interviews with those who knew thme personally, or maybe even film footage.

Regardless, these are ALL insufficient data to accutrately determine someone's MBTI type post-mortem; and furthermore is oner more example how many members of this board think that "iNtuitive Thinkers" are the only members of society who have contributed to it in any meaningful way.

Well, last time I checked, Sensors out number iNtuitives roughly 3 to 1 in the world's population in aggregate, so I'm afraid many of the guesses I'm making note of above are dead wrong.

I'd laugh my as off if somehow, without any doubt whatsoever Albert Einstein were confirmed to be an ISFJ, Nikola Tesla an ESFP, and Salvador Dali and INFJ.

Sure, such conversations can be fun, but if you read between the lines it is evidence that there is a widespread "iNtuitive" superiority complex on this board.

Not that I don't love you all to bits and pieces, but the fact of the matter is y'all aren't the only ones who've ever contributed meaningfully to the human experience via advancing science, technology, art, or other forms of higher thinking.

Carry on. :coffee:

:solidarity:

-Alex

R

Riva

Jesus!!

Fine fine Nicholas Tesla is an ESFP, Albert Einstein is an ISFJ it is.

Also, just because someone types another as an 'N' type it does not mean -

it is evidence that there is a widespread "iNtuitive" superiority complex on this board.

And,

I think it's funny how every time a great inventor/scientist/artist/ or otherwise unique and productive person's MBTI type is contemplated that ENTP / INTP / INTJ /and ENTJ seem to be the only four MBTI types that are thought ot have any capacity to be intelligent, creative, and otherwise talented enough to apply their gifts in a way to make Earth shattering discoveries

On the contrary a majority of the most influential, creative, revolutionary, artistic people are typed as NFs than NTs. Revolutionists, religious leaders etc are more influential towards the society than scientists.

(Gandhi, Jesus, Buddha, Mohomad, Che Guera, Lenin etc)

Ps- it is also funny that some people assume than when a person who is famous (creative, influential etc) is types as an N type, it is assumed that they (the typer) believe only N types are capable of being -

intelligent, creative, and otherwise talented enough to apply their gifts in a way to make Earth shattering discoveries.

Carry on :coffee:

-Riva

----

Oh wait I left the sensors out again.

noopept

Permabanned
I'm good at phototyping. Tesla looked like an INTJ. Maaaaybe INFJ. Look at the way he communicated. INTJ, probably.

Edison, given how much of a slimey competitive shit he was, is probably ENTP, after all.

R

Riva

I'm good at phototyping. Tesla looked like an INTJ. Maaaaybe INFJ. Look at the way he communicated. INTJ, probably.

Edison, given how much of a slimey competitive shit he was, is probably ENTP, after all.

Hey!!!

You are offending the S types (atleast some of them). I command you to type Tesla and Edison both as S types. This is for your own well-being. Lest you'll be called 'funny' or someone who has a 'superiority complex'.

Ps - Edison sounds like an ass hole.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think it's funny how every time a great inventor/scientist/artist/ or otherwise unique and productive person's MBTI type is contemplated that ENTP / INTP / INTJ /and ENTJ seem to be the only four MBTI types that are thought ot have any capacity to be intelligent, creative, and otherwise talented enough to apply their gifts in a way to make Earth shattering discoveries.

Contemplation of the MBTI type of the deceased is a guessing game fueled by nothing more than observations of the individuals in question traits from recorded literature, or in some rare cases interviews with those who knew thme personally, or maybe even film footage.

Regardless, these are ALL insufficient data to accutrately determine someone's MBTI type post-mortem; and furthermore is oner more example how many members of this board think that "iNtuitive Thinkers" are the only members of society who have contributed to it in any meaningful way.

Well, last time I checked, Sensors out number iNtuitives roughly 3 to 1 in the world's population in aggregate, so I'm afraid many of the guesses I'm making note of above are dead wrong.

I'd laugh my as off if somehow, without any doubt whatsoever Albert Einstein were confirmed to be an ISFJ, Nikola Tesla an ESFP, and Salvador Dali and INFJ.

Sure, such conversations can be fun, but if you read between the lines it is evidence that there is a widespread "iNtuitive" superiority complex on this board.

Not that I don't love you all to bits and pieces, but the fact of the matter is y'all aren't the only ones who've ever contributed meaningfully to the human experience via advancing science, technology, art, or other forms of higher thinking.

-Alex

While I don't entirely disagree with you, I think you're failing to take a few critical things into account and as a result, are being unfair to your fellow NT members.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
While I don't entirely disagree with you, I think you're failing to take a few critical things into account...

Glad you're seeing the positive intent of my post above.
Wondering what critical things you think I'm failing to take into account.
Care to mention them explicitly?
I'd love to hear what they are, and converse in a civil dialogue with you about it if you desire.
And if you don't, that's fine too, I appreciate you sharing your viewpoint.

...and as a result, are being unfair to your fellow NT members.

How am I being unfair to my fellow NT members?
I have many, many NT friends on this site and IRL, and I appreciate them as they are, regardless of their MBTI type.
I am not the first person to voice sentiments about there being biases held by the membership of this forum in aggregate.
There are those with an "NT" superiority complex.
There are "Fi" haters.
There are "Fe" haters.
The list goes on and on.
Haters are gonna' hate.

And, anyone who knows me in the least, knows I am a person who despises stereotypes, because as a child in a military family that moved from region to region frequently during my childhood, I have been affected by stereotypes many, many times.

I've voiced my opinions as such countless times on this board, whether related to "MBTI stereotypes" or those of a different nature.
We all bleed the same color, as human beings we have far more in common with each other than differences.

Perhaps you've read into read more into my post above than I intended to communicate?
Or, perhaps you are not aware of some of the long standing biases that exist here?

My wife is an INFJ (tested and confirmed).
My brother is an INTJ (tested and confirmed).
My best friend is an ENTP (tested and confirmed).
One of oldest childhood friends is an INTP (tested and confirmed).
My friend and mentor at my job is an ENTJ (tested and confirmed).
My dearest female friends are ENFJ and ENFP (tested and confirmed).
My niece is an INFP (tested and confirmed).
My Father is an ESTJ (tested and confirmed).
My Mother is an INFJ (tested and confirmed).
I have two dear ISFJ friends (tested and confirmed).
And, believe it or not, I have more ISFP, ISTP and ESFP friends than I can count. (big surprise!)

So, it's going to be hard for you to sell me on any theory that I have MBTI biases, stereotypes, or superiority/inferiority complexes of any kind.

Just because I'm able to state that a problem exists, doesn't mean I'm part of the problem.

Hopefully the above information is useful to you in understanding my personal beliefs that the humanity that binds us all is far greater than ANY systematic or theoretical classification system that attempts to define us, while accidentally causing some to believe more in division among people more than unity.

-Alex

G

Ginkgo

While I don't entirely disagree with you, I think you're failing to take a few critical things into account and as a result, are being unfair to your fellow NT members.

I don't think he's being unfair to his fellow members. I think he's being extraordinarily fair to everyone. Hah.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read a biography on Tesla when I was young. He's been a bit of a hero ever since. There is a lot of myth and legend attached to his life, but even his substantiated contributions to electricity are pretty amazing.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Care to mention them explicitly?...

...How am I being unfair to my fellow NT members?...

I don't believe I am without bias despite dealing with just as much variety as you (if not more) in my day to day. I believe every person on the planet has type bias, whether they realize it or not. No doubt the opinion sampling here is just as skewed as interviewing the members of an online anarchist's community or a southern cooking club. Slant is inevitable; it deserves pointing out. It also does not mean its focus indicates that its members are pompous ignorami with no appreciation for interests and perspectives apart from their own --it doesn't preclude it of course, but it does not necessitate it.

My grandmother's after-church group loves talking about Paula Deen's cooking genius. She's also unlikely an intuitive. Okay fine. And I have no doubt that intuitives are vastly underrepresented in other skilled endeavors like extreme sports or high-risk construction work. It's natural to have a fascination with or admiration for figures that we can relate to, or those who excel at things that interest us personally, and little wonder if behavioral predispositions turn out to be shared. I don't take issue with wanting to inform this prejudice in order to circumvent it, and lend perspective etc., but it is not fair to assume someone has a superiority complex because of this.

We probably agree that prejudice can be mitigated and interests broadened with life experience. You have that life experience advantage. (And even those that have it, may fail to make the most of it if they fail to introspect and grow.) At 30, I'm middle of the road here. Many of the active posters on this forum appear to be in a younger demographic; teens to early-twenties. Lending them your perspective would be a benefit if you could do it without assuming you know theirs. Credibility factor, etc.

Also this is a thread on Tesla, in the Science channel, and the OP didn't make any mention of type. A single post before yours did and it seemed more suggestive than conclusive. So if your post wasn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread as you stated, and you feel this strongly about NT or Nx bias at TypC, and you don't have any opinions to share on Tesla, your thoughts probably merit their own thread discussion. You'll have a broader audience, more pointed feedback, and livelier discussion. And noopept can have his thread rerailed.

...Perhaps you've read into read more into my post above than I intended to communicate?

Perhaps your post communicated more than you intended. Your form usually joins a discussion before your function does.

Or, perhaps you are not aware of some of the long standing biases that exist here?...

I've been here since 2007 and I flatter myself as observant. To be summarily clear, I don't take issue with your claim that there is bias here. I take issue with what you assume is the main reason for it. Also, your time 'n' place selection.

I would also argue, that over the past 5 years, I've noticed an increased inclusion, participation, discussion, and consideration of Sensing types. I suspect that will continue to grow in tandem with the population growth (and the ensuing perspective diversification) and community knowledge of typology.

I'm going to exit the thread now as a courtesy to those here wanting to talk about Tesla, but I'm fine with continuing the discussion elsewhere if you'd like more input.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ

-Alex

Between the lines? Its blatantly obvious in everyones face on every MBTI forum LMAO!

LEGERdeMAIN

He was truly an under appreciated genius.

I always wanted to read his autobiography to learn how his mind works but I'm so busy posting about how I always wanted to read his autobiography to learn how his mind works on niche forums.

awesome