• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bipolar Disease

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Creativity & Bipolar Disorder
If you suffer from bipolar disorder, not only are you not alone, but you are in great company. Creative types are supposedly more likely to have the condition than average folks. In fact, many believe there is a connection between the disorder and creativity. Here is a list of some notable creative people who have (or may have had) bipolar disorder:

* Ludwig van Beethoven [INFJ]
* Jim Carrey [ENTP]
* Francis Ford Coppola
* Charles Dickens [ISFJ]
* Carrie Fisher
* Graham Greene
* Jimi Hendrix [IXFP]
* Michelangelo
* Sylvia Plath [INFP]
* Edgar Allan Poe [INXJ]
* Axl Rose [ESTP]
* Lord Alfred Tennyson
* Vincent van Gogh [ISFP]
* Robin Williams [ENFP]
* Brian Wilson

Looks like XNXPs are particularly susceptible to Bipolar disease, many of the people listed here are labeled creative, and just happen to be Ne dominants and auxiliaries. Can anyone support this? If you have bipolar, I doubt that you'd be on the internet... or maybe not... hmmm...

The types for those people don't seem to actually link to NP at all really, it's quite a mixture... :thinking:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So being bipolar can be a... gift? Interesting...

sculpting

typically in a family the true bipolars have a very tough time, however closley related relatives tend to be much more creative and successful than the avarage person.

Bipolars are all over the freaking net.

The true bipolar has the long term dramatic mood swings. My great grandfather was this way. Every couple of months he would spend two weeks in the local mental hospital.

However much more common are the "hypomanic" bipolars. I am wary of this as a real diagnosis as it is too mixed up with ADHD, borderline personality disorder or any of the other personality/mood disorders. It tends to be a catch all diagnosis.

However many of these folks do see improvement in thier mood stability via mood stablizing meds like the antiepleptics. I am a huge fan of psychopharmacology, even if the underlying disorder is poorly understood.

Just for grins and giggles:
30% of society will have a mental illness at some point.
15% of society will qualify as modereately mentally ill
These are worldwide stats, not just the US.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have three bipolar family members ( all on one side of the family ), and they are SP, SP and SJ.

I think type function has zero to do with the brain chemicals inherited by genetics.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
you know i always thought it was more of an NFP thing..... i just cant see many INTP and ENTPs being that susceptible to the mania thats required for a full blown BPD dx

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
you know i always thought it was more of an NFP thing..... i just cant see many INTP and ENTPs being that susceptible to the mania thats required for a full blown BPD dx

What if they tried REALLY hard ?

Johnfloyd6675

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
On other forums, I've seen ENTPs talking about going several nights in a row without sleep because of what they described as "Ne function," psychic intuition, whatever, it's also called "racing thoughts" in the DSM and if you've stayed up 3 nights because of them, I'm gonna go head and say that the last 3 days have seen a remarkably different ENTP marauding around the house. That "Ne function" is hypomania well on its way to blowing up and showing the world a whole new you. Even Jungian literature about the MBTI remarks that ENTPs appear "hypomanic" when highly excited. Some of what I read on those forums could have come from the chapter on mood disorders in an abnormal psych class.

When I took the MBTI test in a psychiatric hospital, the first thing out of my mouth after reading the results was, "what's the rate of bipolar illness for this personality type?" They didn't know. But we know a few things about ENTP: the average IQ is well above expected, the rate of giftedness far exceeds the norm, and that swivel-chair psychologists on the Interwebz have squarely identified ENTP as the "sociopathic" type. I do not know about any unusual numbers of ENTPs receiving diagnoses of antisocial personality disorder, but that's because we're better at our jobs than the shrinks are at theirs. And the rate of manic-depressive illness among true ENTPs would astonish us all. Even the centrality of extraverted intuition reminds me of the manias I've had, the adventures and shenanigans and sin and madness of it; and of course all the poetry I have written while in a swing (I'm at the University of Iowa for poetry, I'm trying not to be a douche about poetry) and it's hard to think about. Manic depression is a gift and a curse. You get superpowers- oh yes, mania makes all the Jungian functions look childish- and you will suffer. Greatly.

But really, I don't accept for a moment the notion that there is a bipolar "disease" and I am not wearing a giant foam mitt advertising the term "disorder" either. "Illness" works because it allows there to be wellness. But I prefer "difference;" we know that manic depression is a genetic phenomenon, and its existence was recorded by the ancient Greeks.

A society needs a slice of manic-depressives or there can be no art and no music and no sunlight because we're probably talking about Alaska. It's a cold world, espeially when youre bipolar, but it's good to remember that it's been passed down to you and it's your gift and your curse.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Bipolar dissorder is a mental health issue resulting in manic phases - where they can quite literally spend a small fortune, I once met a sufferer who bought a firarri on spec because his girl frined of the day liked red.... this can result in bancrupcy etc. Suffer from extreme mania, agitation and true hyperactivity ...c.60 sec attention span, jumping from topic to topic

Then the depressions, they are obviously not a bed of roses either....

It's a serious condition, very non glamerous, causes the relatively and friends to worry, deal with unstability of character.

I doubt they are any more creative as a population than the regular population. They are a relatively small group therfore you cna expect within the bipolar population to be degrees of creativity and non creativity. I can't say that creativity is the first thign that springs to mind about the people I have met/nursed etc with this condition..... out of control would be my first thought...

PS for whats it's worth I'd say xNxP are more likely to suffer from this... although thats gut feel not stats backed up. I say I and E because they can burn out to introversion...esp when depressed

sculpting

Hey tinkerbell, do you know percent population diagnosed in the UK vs the US? You guys tend to be more conservative across the board.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
not top of mind, but I'd say tiny... I did some time in a psyc hospital (not long as part of my intial training), and folks with Bipolars tend to get admitted periodically...

In manay ways it's more screwed up than depression, at least you know where you are with it.... let me look on Mind and see if it gives stats...

I hate the way the board mixes psyciatry and psycology, they are very different animals, and mental health issues are such a small proporion when crossed with MBTI it simply doesn't make sense.

Ok will be back if I can find you a stat

:)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
yea 1% in the UK

Bipolar Disorder (manic depression)

This is the page from the Royal Collage of Psyciatrists, so I'd say a good source for a statistic.

Teeny tiny. I do think that in the US they tend to be diagnosis happy....

I had a bit of a though earlier in the week... if there is a larger population of obese/sluggish people, normal/energetic beahviour must seem hyper... may be why there seems to be over diagnoses of hyperactivity... sorry I may be clouding thoughts here

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have three bipolar family members ( all on one side of the family ), and they are SP, SP and SJ.

I think type function has zero to do with the brain chemicals inherited by genetics.

:yes:

brain chemistry and trigger experiences have nothing to do with personality type... I should know :doh:

Johnfloyd6675

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I doubt they are any more creative as a population than the regular population. They are a relatively small group therfore you cna expect within the bipolar population to be degrees of creativity and non creativity. I can't say that creativity is the first thign that springs to mind about the people I have met/nursed etc with this condition..... out of control would be my first thought...

Conclusive research has demonstrated the connection between bipolarity and creativity. You should read some of Kay Redfield Johnson's writings; she's a manic-depressive psychiatrist on the faculty at Johns Hopkins Medical School. She writes powerfully about the devastating episodes that bipolar people often experience but also advances, and has led the larger advance, for scientific acceptance of the link between mania and artistry. A review of the literature will assure you that she has done so.

While psychiatry, as it should, continues to prescribe lithium to type I bipolar individuals, it has come to recognize that Aristotle was right: "no genius without a tincture of madness."

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
typically in a family the true bipolars have a very tough time, however closley related relatives tend to be much more creative and successful than the avarage person.

Bipolars are all over the freaking net.

The true bipolar has the long term dramatic mood swings. My great grandfather was this way. Every couple of months he would spend two weeks in the local mental hospital.

However much more common are the "hypomanic" bipolars. I am wary of this as a real diagnosis as it is too mixed up with ADHD, borderline personality disorder or any of the other personality/mood disorders. It tends to be a catch all diagnosis.

However many of these folks do see improvement in thier mood stability via mood stablizing meds like the antiepleptics. I am a huge fan of psychopharmacology, even if the underlying disorder is poorly understood.

Just for grins and giggles:
30% of society will have a mental illness at some point.
15% of society will qualify as modereately mentally ill
These are worldwide stats, not just the US.

Psychotropic drugs are notorious for reducing a person's creativity. I've been there. They may make you feel 'stable' but it's a high price to pay for some...just my 2 cents.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Looks like XNXPs are particularly susceptible to Bipolar disease, many of the people listed here are labeled creative, and just happen to be Ne dominants and auxiliaries. Can anyone support this? If you have bipolar, I doubt that you'd be on the internet... or maybe not... hmmm...

The types for those people don't seem to actually link to NP at all really, it's quite a mixture... :thinking:

I'd like to add the fantastic Spike Milligan to that list and also the wonderful Stephen Fry...both held very highly in my esteem!
I'm ENFP and apparently bi-polar (most likely type 2), very creative and can see the creative correlation.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was origionally diagnosed as type 2 and upgraded to type 1... I've had writer's block for 8 years and truly suck at art :sadbanana:

I'd happily trade it in! :cheese:

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was origionally diagnosed as type 2 and upgraded to type 1... I've had writer's block for 8 years and truly suck at art :sadbanana:

I'd happily trade it in! :cheese:

Writers block? is it just that you hate writing anything, or are you talking about something specific?

And for the record i would not change mine for anything, even through all the darkest days i have seen, because it has shaped me and made me who i am. Regrets i have a few...but to trade it in, never.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't been able to creatively write for 8 years--- I can give a million and one ideas away, but I can't keep any for myself :(