User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Incandescent lights to be banned?

I've heard on the news that they might be banning incandescent lights soon.

This kind of bothers me, because I really don't like the light from fluorescent bulbs.

So, I've been wondering... once they ban incandescent bulbs, will fluorescent be the only option, or will this (a LED bulb) be a viable alternative?

I just don't want to be limited to a single option for lighting that I may not like.

Found this on Wikipedia:

Measures to discontinue use
    Main article: Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs

Due to the higher energy usage of incandescent light bulbs in comparison to more energy efficient alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamps and LED lamps, some governments have introduced measures to phase out their use. Brazil and Venezuela started to phase them out in 2005,[62] and other nations are planning scheduled phase-outs: Australia[63], Ireland and Switzerland[64] in 2009; Argentina[65], Italy and the United Kingdom[66] by 2011; Canada in 2012;[67] and the U.S. between 2012 and 2014.[68]

We have a few years if the measure succeeds.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

your resident asshole

Why the hell would they do that? Fluorescent bulbs are far more dangerous. Many people are too stupid to realize that you can't just wipe up the mercury from the broken bulbs with a mop. I was watching TV and I heard about a baby that almost died from mercury poisoning because the previous owners of the household broke a fluorescent bulb and didn't clean the area properly.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Why the hell would they do that? Fluorescent bulbs are far more dangerous. Many people are too stupid to realize that you can't just wipe up the mercury from the broken bulbs with a mop. I was watching TV and I heard about a baby that almost died from mercury poisoning because the previous owners of the household broke a fluorescent bulb and didn't clean the area properly.
    That's one of the reasons I don't want one around, in addition to disliking the texture of the lighting anyway. Supposedly they're going to require proper disposal, you have to run out of the house and open a window if they break, etc.

I'm willing to pay extra for those LED bulbs, because I think they might be better if they're even remotely viable, and they supposedly last for 10 years. I'd prefer to stick with incandescent, but if I can't, I want more options than fluorescent.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

As long as:

1) Fluorescent bulbs continue come in "Daylight" (5700K+ light temp) -- I have to light the plants in my fish tank somehow! ,

and

2) Fluorescent bulbs soon come in the form of "Twilight" which would be a bulb that had the same hue and intensity of incadescent bulbs.

I agree with Athenian in that I much prefer the warm, yellowy light from incandescent bulbs when it comes to lighting a room. So, if they replicate that in fluorescent, I'm sold.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Aren't these types killer for migraine sufferers? Don't they trigger migraines?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I can't tolerate flourescent bulbs of any kind. They nauseate me, and they give me migraines. Surely they won't completely discontinue incandescent bulbs. Otherwise, after sunset, I'll be sitting in the dark!

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Good, now I'll be able to justify my preference for oil lamps and candles.

There's something alive in the dance of an open flame.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Good, now I'll be able to justify my preference for oil lamps and candles.

There's something alive in the dance of an open flame.
    LOL.

But they're so sooty.

MBTI
    INXP

In the UK, they've already phased out 100w incandescents and the rest will follow shortly.

It's crap, because fluorescents are a poor replacement, and actually use a lot of power when first turned on to warm up.