• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Incandescent lights to be banned?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The issue for me is that the light bulbs that fit into my fixture are flood lights, which I haven't seen a fluorescent alternative for (not that I've actually looked though, heh). They'll probably eventually come up with something in the fluorescent variety, but I doubt they're common enough for the novelty thing.

Flood lights? Actually LED floodlights are more common already, compared to standard fixture. I've also heard of sodium halogen bulbs.

There's also a good chance that they'll leave the bulbs used in floodlight fixtures alone. They're mostly focused on common residential lighting. That might qualify as one of the "duty" bulbs they'll leave alone.
Eh, screw it. Who needs light bulbs. I'm going back to candlelight.

If there aren't any good alternatives, we may have to.

Might I suggest that a kerosene lamp provides better light than a candle, though? ;)

ygolo

My termites win
Athenian, what is your opinion of using yellow LEDs, mixed with white LEDs?

PICT0051.JPG

PICT0041.JPG

You can tune it to the hue you want with red, green, and blue LEDs if you want.

PICT0014.JPG

PICT0155.JPG

PICT0053.JPG

Anyone think there would be a market for custom hue LED boards that fit into light-bulb sockets?

Just need to find a covering that'll soften the glow and mix the colors well.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
There are a couple things worth noting:

1. They won't phase them out right away. They'll probably keep selling them for another year or two. You have plenty of time to stock up. I doubt the ban will be strict enough to stop people from using up their existing supplies.

Is it bad that the first thought that comes to my mind is "HOARD!!!"?

I may have to look into LED lighting myself. I have to work in florescent lights, and they tend to give me headaches after long exposure. So I'm not so sure I want them in my house. The only thing that saves me at work is that I have to drive from site to site with regular frequency.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Athenian, what is your opinion of using yellow LEDs, mixed with white LEDs?

Anyone think there would be a market for custom hue LED boards that fit into light-bulb sockets?

Just need to find a covering that'll soften the glow and mix the colors well.

Oh, those would be fine, as long as it generated enough light to read by. :yes:

But they're already selling LED bulbs that fit into light sockets.

Is it bad that the first thought that comes to my mind is "HOARD!!!"?

I don't think so at all. ;) The more we buy before they're banned, the more they'll have to make. Thus the longer the supplies will hold out.
I may have to look into LED lighting myself. I have to work in florescent lights, and they tend to give me headaches after long exposure. So I'm not so sure I want them in my house. The only thing that saves me at work is that I have to drive from site to site with regular frequency.

Yeah. I've purchased one of the better LED bulbs myself to test it out. It was a little pricey, but it's going to come down in price eventually. Plus, they supposedly have a minimum operating life of 3 years, under continuous use (10 years if you only use them for 8 hours a day).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Yeah. I've purchased one of the better LED bulbs myself to test it out. It was a little pricey, but it's going to come down in price eventually. Plus, they supposedly have a minimum operating life of 3 years, under continuous use (10 years if you only use them for 8 hours a day).

Does it work well for you?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeh, it's a true story (I work for a hardware store).

I will miss incandescent lighting. It provides a warm, cozy, romantic atmosphere, but I'm sure competition will aid in supplying us with the warm lighting we all desire, but in fluorescent.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Does it work well for you?

I had to order it. I'll tell you when it arrives. :)

I will miss incandescent lighting. It provides a warm, cozy, romantic atmosphere, but I'm sure competition will aid in supplying us with the warm lighting we all desire, but in fluorescent.

Why is everyone so eager to adopt fluorescent as the alternative? Just because that's what they're pushing on us?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Who is eager? I certainly am not.

Oh, well, that's fine then. I guess I just mean, why is everyone choosing compact fluorescents as the successor to incandescent, despite all the mercury and other hazards associated with them, without even looking at all the lighting alternatives?

I just kind of dislike that they're trying to shove one particular alternative on us that doesn't even seem like a perfect technology, when there are actually several possible ones that we could push for.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But can you customize the hue and saturation?

Not on most of them, AFAIK. But are you saying a standard LED board with a bunch of leds can put out enough light to read by if placed in a standard lamp bulb socket?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Has anybody mentioned the fact that heat from incandescent light bulbs might not be a bad thing? I think I've heard of a study that suggests using incandescent bulbs lowers energy bills since the furnace doesn't need to be on as much. I haven't exactly confirm the validity of the study though.

Another problem with florescent lights is that they're slow to brighten up. Good for lights turned on for extended periods of time... bad for lights where you need to flick on and off in 15 min. (e.g. bathroom bulbs)

Don't kick out those poor incandescent bulbs yet!

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've got cfls in several rooms including the bathroom. They're the brighter ones though (I can't remember what they're called). I tried them in my bedroom but the light is on so rarely in there, it was pretty much a waste of the bulb to keep them in there. The bathroom is a close second but I decided to keep them in there anyway.

They do okay once you get used to them. We started using them about 7 or so years ago with a few light fixtures that were hard to change the bulbs in and that we used most of the time so we changed them often. The cfls do last about 5 years or so between changes so that's an upside for them. I got so sick of changing bulbs all of the time. I do like the warmth of the incandescent light better though.

ygolo

My termites win

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've heard on the news that they might be banning incandescent lights soon.

This kind of bothers me, because I really don't like the light from fluorescent bulbs.

So, I've been wondering... once they ban incandescent bulbs, will fluorescent be the only option, or will this (a LED bulb) be a viable alternative?

I just don't want to be limited to a single option for lighting that I may not like.
Idiots first.
A name of a book, or two books.
The translation is democracy.

There is such a thing as a timespace.
It is divided by a clock.

Fluorescent bulb is a flicker. It does not fill the timespace.
Incandescent light is even. It fills the timespace.
Well. Most of it.

Incandescent bulb does not fill the timespace nearly as evenly as the sunlight.
It does not matter. We are too insensitive to recognize the difference.

It has been stated in this thread that fluorescent bulbs can be improved.
They can not.
Uneven light does not even.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When it comes to lifespan and energy efficiency, compact florescents are just better. The only draw back right now is that they cost a little more than incandescent right now, but over times they save money because they last 8 to 15 times longer, and only use 1/3 to 1/5 the energy.

Some kind of phase-out of incandescents seems sensible.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
When it comes to lifespan and energy efficiency, compact florescents are just better. The only draw back right now is that they cost a little more than incandescent right now, but over times they save money because they last 8 to 15 times longer, and only use 1/3 to 1/5 the energy.

Some kind of phase-out of incandescents seems sensible.

Yes, but those are the ONLY ADVANTAGES. What if I want the light a certain way for other reasons?

I'm annoyed that other people get to decide the criteria I use in buying light bulbs. Who says lifespan and energy efficiency are the most important factors for me?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Yes, but those are the ONLY ADVANTAGES. What if I want the light a certain way for other reasons?

I'm annoyed that other people get to decide the criteria I use in buying light bulbs. Who says lifespan and energy efficiency are the most important factors for me?

They might not be the most important factors for you personally, but there are economic, energy, and environmental factors that outweigh your personal preference in this case. Policy makers can't make everyone happy.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
They might not be the most important factors for you personally, but there are economic, energy, and environmental factors that outweigh your personal preference in this case. Policy makers can't make everyone happy.

But I still don't want them. Do I have to kill all the environmentalists if I don't want florescent bulbs? :devil:

I don't like the solution that's been offered, and a single solution shouldn't be shoved down everyone's throat.

The potential for mercury poisoning if anything happens to the bulb bothers me, for one thing. I can't believe they have the nerve to try and make me bring some mercury-laced bulb into my home. And I certainly don't want to go to all the trouble of recycling the darn things. Taking out the trash is a mild inconvenience... recycling is an extreme inconvenience.