• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Incandescent lights to be banned?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've heard on the news that they might be banning incandescent lights soon.

This kind of bothers me, because I really don't like the light from fluorescent bulbs.

So, I've been wondering... once they ban incandescent bulbs, will fluorescent be the only option, or will this (a LED bulb) be a viable alternative?

I just don't want to be limited to a single option for lighting that I may not like.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Found this on Wikipedia:

Measures to discontinue use
Main article: Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs

Due to the higher energy usage of incandescent light bulbs in comparison to more energy efficient alternatives, such as compact fluorescent lamps and LED lamps, some governments have introduced measures to phase out their use. Brazil and Venezuela started to phase them out in 2005,[62] and other nations are planning scheduled phase-outs: Australia[63], Ireland and Switzerland[64] in 2009; Argentina[65], Italy and the United Kingdom[66] by 2011; Canada in 2012;[67] and the U.S. between 2012 and 2014.[68]

We have a few years if the measure succeeds.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Why the hell would they do that? Fluorescent bulbs are far more dangerous. Many people are too stupid to realize that you can't just wipe up the mercury from the broken bulbs with a mop. I was watching TV and I heard about a baby that almost died from mercury poisoning because the previous owners of the household broke a fluorescent bulb and didn't clean the area properly.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Why the hell would they do that? Fluorescent bulbs are far more dangerous. Many people are too stupid to realize that you can't just wipe up the mercury from the broken bulbs with a mop. I was watching TV and I heard about a baby that almost died from mercury poisoning because the previous owners of the household broke a fluorescent bulb and didn't clean the area properly.

That's one of the reasons I don't want one around, in addition to disliking the texture of the lighting anyway. Supposedly they're going to require proper disposal, you have to run out of the house and open a window if they break, etc.

I'm willing to pay extra for those LED bulbs, because I think they might be better if they're even remotely viable, and they supposedly last for 10 years. I'd prefer to stick with incandescent, but if I can't, I want more options than fluorescent.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As long as:

1) Fluorescent bulbs continue come in "Daylight" (5700K+ light temp) -- I have to light the plants in my fish tank somehow! ,

and

2) Fluorescent bulbs soon come in the form of "Twilight" which would be a bulb that had the same hue and intensity of incadescent bulbs.

I agree with Athenian in that I much prefer the warm, yellowy light from incandescent bulbs when it comes to lighting a room. So, if they replicate that in fluorescent, I'm sold.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't tolerate flourescent bulbs of any kind. They nauseate me, and they give me migraines. Surely they won't completely discontinue incandescent bulbs. Otherwise, after sunset, I'll be sitting in the dark!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Good, now I'll be able to justify my preference for oil lamps and candles.

There's something alive in the dance of an open flame.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Good, now I'll be able to justify my preference for oil lamps and candles.

There's something alive in the dance of an open flame.

LOL.

But they're so sooty.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
In the UK, they've already phased out 100w incandescents and the rest will follow shortly.

It's crap, because fluorescents are a poor replacement, and actually use a lot of power when first turned on to warm up.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree about liking incandescent light better and the mercury in households being a problem.

I might be wrong about this but, aren't most of these fluorescent bulbs made in ... China? In ... coal powered factories?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yeah.

LED light bulbs MIGHT be viable. I'm actually going to buy one of those LED based-bulbs soon and tell what I find. They're a little expensive, but if they last longer and they're the only alternative... they might be worth it.

I'm rather desperate for an alternative, because I've never liked florescent... at all.

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
^^^ Athenian, I'm not sure you are going to like the 45 watt incandescent equivalent for your 60 bucks.

Thats a really dull bulb.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
^^^ Athenian, I'm not sure you are going to like the 45 watt incandescent equivalent for your 60 bucks.

Thats a really dull bulb.

:cry:

But I don't WANT those CFL bulbs! There are so many things I hate about them. Geez, are you telling me it's pretty much either that, or sit in the dark?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They've long had compact fluorescent in incandescent color (2700K). It's called "warm white". (Actully, warm white was originally the pale, ~3000K light of the old "earth light" early CFL's, which was the closest they cold come to incandescent "soft white". Now the color is exact, though it retained the "warm" label).

LED color has gone the same path, from daylight, to pale yellow, to some good incandescent simulations. Though bulbs are not only expensive, but relatively dim as well. Though I'm not sure about the ones in the link with 150 LED's.

They also have this, where you can adjust the color temp from warm to cool: New LED Bulbs by Sharp Can be Remotely Tuned Between 7 Shades of White : TreeHugger

There's even LED's with dies shaped like filaments!
LEDs with filaments! - CandlePowerForums
Don't know how they do that. But it would be the perfect replacement for chandeliers and such.

I've made the total transition to CFL, and want to start switching to LED, but the cost and brightness are what's holding that up.

I myself always liked the "pure white" or daylight color better. When I was a kid, there were no CFL's, and the only bulbs that color were mercury vapors, but not only could they not be found in any hardware store, they required a ballast.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Someone has to try out LED lights and tell me how it works out for them. :p

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Aren't these types killer for migraine sufferers? Don't they trigger migraines?
Perfect. :doh:

I hate fluorescent lights. With a passion. Ugh. If anything, my pretty little incandescents save energy, considering that I currently live in a small space with a heater that I never turn on because whatever minuscule amount of heat energy coming from the lighting makes my room warm enough to live in comfortably (it has no heat source of its own, so the lights are definitely doing something). With fluorescent bulbs, I'd probably have to turn on the heat, expelling the same amount of energy anyway. It's so pointless. Plus, in order to accommodate this, I'd have to redo the lighting in the room, because my fixtures can't take fluorescent bulbs.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Perfect. :doh:

I hate fluorescent lights. With a passion. Ugh. If anything, my pretty little incandescents save energy, considering that I currently live in a small space with a heater that I never turn on because whatever minuscule amount of heat energy coming from the lighting makes my room warm enough to live in comfortably (it has no heat source of its own, so the lights are definitely doing something). With fluorescent bulbs, I'd probably have to turn on the heat, expelling the same amount of energy anyway. It's so pointless. Plus, in order to accommodate this, I'd have to redo the lighting in the room, because my fixtures can't take fluorescent bulbs.

There are a couple things worth noting:

1. They won't phase them out right away. They'll probably keep selling them for another year or two. You have plenty of time to stock up. I doubt the ban will be strict enough to stop people from using up their existing supplies.

2. There are a few designs of alternatives (like one of the LED lights I'm looking at, and even a few "cold cathode" fluorescent designs) you can try that should fit in the same space.

3. They'll keep allowing incandescent novelty bulbs for a longer time, as well as "duty" bulbs or any bulb over 100 watts. So if you really want to hold on to them after they phase them out, you can try getting a colored light bulb, or something over 100 watts.

And don't worry, DisneyGeek... I've purchased one of the likely candidate LED light replacements. This one is supposedly a 60W replacement. We'll find out if we have a viable alternative soon enough. :)

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
There are a couple things worth noting:

1. They won't phase them out right away. They'll probably keep selling them for another year or two. You have plenty of time to stock up. I doubt the ban will be strict enough to stop people from using up their existing supplies.
I actually hadn't thought about that, but good point. I'm not even sure how they'd even go about monitoring that to begin with, let alone figuring out how to properly enforce such a law.

2. There are a few designs of alternatives (like one of the LED lights I'm looking at, and even a few "cold cathode" fluorescent designs) you can try that should fit in the same space.

3. They'll keep allowing incandescent novelty bulbs for a longer time, as well as "duty" bulbs or any bulb over 100 watts. So if you really want to hold on to them after they phase them out, you can try getting a colored light bulb, or something over 100 watts.
The issue for me is that the light bulbs that fit into my fixture are flood lights, which I haven't seen a fluorescent alternative for (not that I've actually looked though, heh). They'll probably eventually come up with something in the fluorescent variety, but I doubt they're common enough for the novelty thing.

Eh, screw it. Who needs light bulbs. I'm going back to candlelight.