User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    From wikipedia: In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that if all 270 million compact fluorescent lamps sold in 2007 were sent to landfill sites, that this would represent around 0.13 tons, or 0.1% of all U.S. emissions of mercury (around 104 tons) that year
    Yes, but there would be WAY more than that number sold if we couldn't get incandescent anymore. How many incandescent bulbs are sold? Scale the percentage by that amount.

I think it will add up to much more than 0.1 percent.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Sure flourescent bulbs are more energy-efficient but banning incandescent bulbs isn't the right answer to the problem.
    The government really shouldn't have a say in this!
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Maybe not, but what do you suggest we do about the energy problem? Nothing?

From wikipedia: In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that if all 270 million compact fluorescent lamps sold in 2007 were sent to landfill sites, that this would represent around 0.13 tons, or 0.1% of all U.S. emissions of mercury (around 104 tons) that year
    Regardless of the ratio, that's still 260 pounds of mercury we don't need in our landfills.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    Regardless of the ratio, that's still 260 pounds of mercury we don't need in our landfills.
    True, but when you factor in the energy saved by not burning coal for incandescent lights, it's probably in favor of the CFLs. (Take a guess where a good amount of that other 99.9% of mercury emissions come from? Coal-burning power plants produce a LOT of mercury emissions.)
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP

True, but when you factor in the energy saved by not burning coal for incandescent lights, it's probably in favor of the CFLs. (Take a guess where a good amount of that other 99.9% of mercury emissions come from? Coal-burning power plants produce a LOT of mercury emissions.)

Granted. I was really making a case for LED bulbs. Given enough support and a little more time, we could have LED bulbs that cover the entire range of what incandescents and fluorescents can do now.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

And assuming that using more CFL's will lead to significantly less coal-burning sources for power is questionable. Not to mention CFL's pose direct health risks to households when they break.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Prepare yourselves... this is just a build-up to banning all light.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    LED bulbs are the best but what if you're using the bulb for heating purposes?
    Nillerz does have a point. Power wasted on incandescents, is power saved on heating. Ignore the fact reverse-cycles are 400% efficient.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Don't move here, we're adopting it sooner than the US according to an earlier post. That said, I'd be happy to get the LEDs. Having to change bulbs all the time is a pain and I can do with out the extra thermal energy that does me more harm than good homeostasis-wise.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Sure flourescent bulbs are more energy-efficient but banning incandescent bulbs isn't the right answer to the problem.
    The government... should not have a say in environmental issues?

I suppose you expect the industry to regulate itself yes?