First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Athenian, what is your opinion of using yellow LEDs, mixed with white LEDs?

The spire on the new Coney Island subway terminal is covered with bulbs like those (and they line the entrances too). I once saw one with the glass removed.
    I had wondered what exactly they were, as they emitted a dim pale orangey glow that looked more like a dimmed incandescent. Sort of like the color of high pressure sodium bulbs. So it was an array of amber led's, with at least one white.

Not a good combination, IMO. Around that time I began seeing nice 2700K LED's that made a good incandescent color. But it has just taken time for them to become more available.
    You can tune it to the hue you want with red, green, and blue LEDs if you want.

Anyone think there would be a market for custom hue LED boards that fit into light-bulb sockets?

Just need to find a covering that'll soften the glow and mix the colors well.
    Tristar E27 RGB Lamp (though this is more like a spotlight)
    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But can you customize the hue and saturation?
    Wish! :steam:
    There doesn't seem to be anything out there like that yet. Flashlights too. There are strings of light you can use for Christmas, but the conrollable ones are very expensive
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

heart on fire

GlobalTV.com | 16 x 9 - The Bigger Picture: Video

Video where people in Canada claim unhealthy effects from enviromentally friendly light bulbs.

MBTI
    ENFP

LED bulbs are the best but what if you're using the bulb for heating purposes?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

then you are using the wrong device.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ISTP

Didn't read whole thread, but most (if not all) light manufacturers are already developing higher efficiency incandescents, that meet the requirements. (In the USA at least). I will guarantee that you will see them rolled out as the deadline draws nearer.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTx

I wouldn't mind trading cheap inefficient bulbs for expensive efficient bulbs, but I don't like trading away light quality for that efficiency.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Global warming and peak oil could prove to be an inconvenience too. You might have to sacrifice the soft warm glow of incandescents (at least until they come out with an alternative that produces the exact same lighting effect if they haven't already).
    This company makes LED light bulbs in both "cool white" and "warm white."

Here is a comparison of the colors taken straight from their website.

It seems as though LED bulbs have incandescents and CFLs beat in every area except price per bulb and beam profile, with the latter being only circumstantial.

CFLs are soooo last year.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Don't fluorescent bulbs contain toxic chemicals in them? Seriously, how many people do you think will properly dispose of them, especially since in many places you actually have to pay to have a company come out and remove toxic waste? I think the government could be doing more harm than good here (surprise surprise.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

The subway is testing some new LED bulbs in a couple of places. New bright blue (these indicate locations of emergency equipment in the tunnels), near West 4th St. (I took a good look at one on the way to our last TYPOc meetup!), and now, even some cool whites (the first test of white for general lighting) on a stretch of track in Brooklyn.

They look like the ones on that EarthLED site (the opaque plastic sides with only the "dome" emitting light).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by SubjectA View Post
    Don't fluorescent bulbs contain toxic chemicals in them? Seriously, how many people do you think will properly dispose of them, especially since in many places you actually have to pay to have a company come out and remove toxic waste? I think the government could be doing more harm than good here (surprise surprise.)
    From wikipedia: In the United States, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimated that if all 270 million compact fluorescent lamps sold in 2007 were sent to landfill sites, that this would represent around 0.13 tons, or 0.1% of all U.S. emissions of mercury (around 104 tons) that year
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%