User Tag List

First 45678 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Hmmmm places like singapore would probably love skilled immigrants. Of course the key emphasis here is "skilled". There's still a doctor shortage in Canada... especially in the rural areas. But practitioners all must be board certified... Strangely this is not the case in some States?

But in general, if you don't have technical skills or money to invest... other countries wouldn't take you in. It has very little to do with allegiance.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmmmm places like singapore would probably love skilled immigrants. Of course the key emphasis here is "skilled". There's still a doctor shortage in Canada... especially in the rural areas. But practitioners all must be board certified... Strangely this is not the case in some States?

But in general, if you don't have technical skills or money to invest... other countries wouldn't take you in. It has very little to do with allegiance.
    Well, that makes sense, of course. If you're going to take immigrants, take skilled ones. My point is that the American definition of "skilled" probably isn't well-respected internationally due to our educational system.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hmm, this discussion is odd, from a Dutch perspective.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Hmm, this discussion is odd, from a Dutch perspective.
    Really? Why is that?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    ENTj

There are numerous possible problems associated with energy saving lamps. Apart from Mercury those are :

• Significant emission of potentially harmful electromagnetic radiation.

• Unnaturally high proportion of blue light and "gaps" in the spectrum of regular CFLs, like this:

Full spectrum light source:

Normal CFL:

I have read that a high level of blue light may harm the retina, but I need to keep looking to find a reliable source for that. It may also mess with hormone balance.
    • Emission of UV radiation, especially UV-C radiation, which does not normally reach the earth's surface

• Flicker, which can cause migraines and general discomfort

Personally I plan to stock up on normal light bulbs before they are banned, I was in favor of a ban at one point, but that was before I was aware of the potential health risks associated with CFLs.

Fluorescent lights have the most ugly and annoying spectrum. And no one disposes of them properly so we'll end up with some wonderful chemicals in the landfills. When someone makes something better then we should replace incandescents with them. Till then use them where you want your house to feel like a seven eleven. I'm not really being the environmentalist, am I? I think there are far more useful and effective ways to save power than replace some light bulbs. And if people are really into it, then promote responsible disposal at the same time.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

your resident asshole

We should make a petition or something...

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I doubt that'll make one whit of difference... a petition.

Better off continue buying low wattage incandescent bulbs.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I got my bulb today.

I tested it out. The bulb worked, of course. It still has the ugly tone, but the light seems much "cleaner" than a florescent bulb. My mother said it didn't make her sick to look at though it seemed a little dim, and after we turned the other lights in the room off... she said she could get used to this light color.

But we did notice that although it was advertised as a 60-watt equivalent, it was putting out light in the ambient sense more like a 40-watt bulb, but the light was more "even" in a way that's hard to explain, so you could actually read by it just as easily at the same distance even though it seemed dimmer. Weird. Also, it looks as if the bulk of the light came out of the TOP of the bulb. Meaning that it works best if pointed downwards or used in a desk lamp.

The final thing to note is that it seemed to produce far less glare than an incandescent or florescent bulb.

So, my mother says that these LED lights aren't as good as incandescent, but she vastly prefers them to florescent. She actually says that she'd "rather buy neon lights" than use florescent lighting. I can't really blame her.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Yes, banned by the same group of lowly indescribably, unconscionably, incomprehensibly, inept, anserine scourge of the human race politicians and their masters in the environmentalist lobby. A bunch of stupid d*** in a s*** box nematodes whom I could offer 1 one thousandth of a fetal chimpanzee brain to yield a ten fold increase in their own immeasurably infinitesimally diminutive intelligence quotient. Enjoy your mercury free incandescent bulbs while they last. These are the same idiots who tell you what to think about global warming, and yet many of you can't seem to ascertain just how (everything I said above) these people are. Truly truly amazing.