User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Taking out the trash is a mild inconvenience... recycling is an extreme inconvenience.
    Global warming and peak oil could prove to be an inconvenience too. You might have to sacrifice the soft warm glow of incandescents (at least until they come out with an alternative that produces the exact same lighting effect if they haven't already).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Global warming and peak oil could prove to be an inconvenience too.
    Global warming... don't believe in it. Peak oil... okay, yeah, we need more energy efficient bulbs. But why CFLs and not any of the others? I'm questioning why that's the only alternative they're sticking in our faces, and possibly the only one they'll allow.

You might have to sacrifice the soft warm glow of incandescents (at least until they come out with an alternative that produces the exact same lighting effect if they haven't already).
    It doesn't have to be exactly the same, I just want something that doesn't have that annoying... flickering quality like a CFL does. I think wildcat hit on the quality that bothered me. The mercury makes me paranoid about the bulb breaking also. I want to use LED lights, or possibly even some kind of commercial lighting alternative, just to avoid that flicker.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Global warming... don't believe in it. Peak oil... okay, yeah, we need more energy efficient bulbs. But why CFLs and not any of the others? I'm questioning why that's the only alternative they're sticking in our faces, and possibly the only one they'll allow.
    Well, there's LEDs, and there will probably be a host of new light technologies that become developed. I think they are just going to raise efficiency standards, not limit use to any one type of bulb.

btw, do you disregard the temperature figures that report global warming or do you just think it's not man-made? Just wondering.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, there's LEDs, and there will probably be a host of new light technologies that become developed. I think they are just going to raise efficiency standards, not limit use to any one type of bulb.
    Yeah. I'm going to use LEDs, if I'm allowed to and they make enough light. I'm more comfortable with them, I have LEDs in several devices I use regularly, and appreciated the kind of light that comes from them... wondering why they don't use these in larger lights. I might have to pay through the nose for them, but if that's the only way to avoid the mercury and flickering... it's worth it.
    btw, do you disregard the temperature figures that report global warming or do you just think it's not man-made? Just wondering.
    Oh, I believe it could be happening, though I'm not convinced. I just don't think it's man-made. There are so many other factors, like wobbling towards the sun, the fact that volcanic eruptions often have a much bigger impact on the environment than humans, etc.

I won't like this decision forced on me either. I hate ordinances like this one.

But if it is forced on me, I'll used LED bases bulbs, even if I have to make 'em myself for the color I want. There is that, 3rd, rather unsung route.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Well shit, looks like it's about time to start looking for another country to live in.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Well shit, looks like it's about time to start looking for another country to live in.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing for other reasons, but there are two problems with that:

1. Who would accept immigrants from the U.S? I don't think anyone would.
    2. Are there any countries that are actually better to live in? Probably not.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing for other reasons, but there are two problems with that:

1. Who would accept immigrants from the U.S? I don't think anyone would.
    2. Are there any countries that are actually better to live in? Probably not.
    O Canada!
    Our home and native land!
    True patriot love in all thy sons command.
    With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
    The True North strong and free!
    From far and wide, O Canada,
    We stand on guard for thee.
    God keep our land glorious and free!
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
    O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Why wouldn't anyone take U.S. immigrants?

^Serious Question Above^

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Why wouldn't anyone take U.S. immigrants?

^Serious Question Above^
    Well:

1. Our economy is doing poorly. They'll know we're just "jumping ship," and that looks bad. Makes us look selfish or apathetic about allegiance.

2. America's standards of education are considerably lower than in other parts of the world. We wouldn't make a very good addition to their workforce.

3. Americans are typically seen as lazy, consumer, martial, individualistic, and uncooperative. Not really good at "teamwork" or learning a new culture.

4. We're viewed as culturally and morally "backwards" in many ways, despite our technology. Less than civilized, if you will.

Seriously, Americans are probably the least desirable people in the world to most countries.