User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Out they're already selling LED bulbs that fit into light sockets.
    But can you customize the hue and saturation?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    But can you customize the hue and saturation?
    Not on most of them, AFAIK. But are you saying a standard LED board with a bunch of leds can put out enough light to read by if placed in a standard lamp bulb socket?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Has anybody mentioned the fact that heat from incandescent light bulbs might not be a bad thing? I think I've heard of a study that suggests using incandescent bulbs lowers energy bills since the furnace doesn't need to be on as much. I haven't exactly confirm the validity of the study though.

Another problem with florescent lights is that they're slow to brighten up. Good for lights turned on for extended periods of time... bad for lights where you need to flick on and off in 15 min. (e.g. bathroom bulbs)

Don't kick out those poor incandescent bulbs yet!
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I've got cfls in several rooms including the bathroom. They're the brighter ones though (I can't remember what they're called). I tried them in my bedroom but the light is on so rarely in there, it was pretty much a waste of the bulb to keep them in there. The bathroom is a close second but I decided to keep them in there anyway.

They do okay once you get used to them. We started using them about 7 or so years ago with a few light fixtures that were hard to change the bulbs in and that we used most of the time so we changed them often. The cfls do last about 5 years or so between changes so that's an upside for them. I got so sick of changing bulbs all of the time. I do like the warmth of the incandescent light better though.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

Not on most of them, AFAIK. But are you saying a standard LED board with a bunch of leds can put out enough light to read by if placed in a standard lamp bulb socket?
    If you have enough of them, yes. You'd have to be creative in how you place them.

Check out:
    EcoLEDs.com - The Future Looks Bright
    Light Bulb to Last 30 Years - PSFK.com
    LED Smart Inc. - Products & Solutions - General Lighting

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

I've heard on the news that they might be banning incandescent lights soon.

This kind of bothers me, because I really don't like the light from fluorescent bulbs.

So, I've been wondering... once they ban incandescent bulbs, will fluorescent be the only option, or will this (a LED bulb) be a viable alternative?

I just don't want to be limited to a single option for lighting that I may not like.
    Idiots first.
    A name of a book, or two books.
    The translation is democracy.

There is such a thing as a timespace.
    It is divided by a clock.

Fluorescent bulb is a flicker. It does not fill the timespace.
    Incandescent light is even. It fills the timespace.
    Well. Most of it.

Incandescent bulb does not fill the timespace nearly as evenly as the sunlight.
    It does not matter. We are too insensitive to recognize the difference.

It has been stated in this thread that fluorescent bulbs can be improved.
    They can not.
    Uneven light does not even.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

When it comes to lifespan and energy efficiency, compact florescents are just better. The only draw back right now is that they cost a little more than incandescent right now, but over times they save money because they last 8 to 15 times longer, and only use 1/3 to 1/5 the energy.

Some kind of phase-out of incandescents seems sensible.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    When it comes to lifespan and energy efficiency, compact florescents are just better. The only draw back right now is that they cost a little more than incandescent right now, but over times they save money because they last 8 to 15 times longer, and only use 1/3 to 1/5 the energy.

Some kind of phase-out of incandescents seems sensible.
    Yes, but those are the ONLY ADVANTAGES. What if I want the light a certain way for other reasons?

I'm annoyed that other people get to decide the criteria I use in buying light bulbs. Who says lifespan and energy efficiency are the most important factors for me?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yes, but those are the ONLY ADVANTAGES. What if I want the light a certain way for other reasons?

I'm annoyed that other people get to decide the criteria I use in buying light bulbs. Who says lifespan and energy efficiency are the most important factors for me?
    They might not be the most important factors for you personally, but there are economic, energy, and environmental factors that outweigh your personal preference in this case. Policy makers can't make everyone happy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    They might not be the most important factors for you personally, but there are economic, energy, and environmental factors that outweigh your personal preference in this case. Policy makers can't make everyone happy.
    But I still don't want them. Do I have to kill all the environmentalists if I don't want florescent bulbs?

I don't like the solution that's been offered, and a single solution shouldn't be shoved down everyone's throat.

The potential for mercury poisoning if anything happens to the bulb bothers me, for one thing. I can't believe they have the nerve to try and make me bring some mercury-laced bulb into my home. And I certainly don't want to go to all the trouble of recycling the darn things. Taking out the trash is a mild inconvenience... recycling is an extreme inconvenience.