User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I agree about liking incandescent light better and the mercury in households being a problem.

I might be wrong about this but, aren't most of these fluorescent bulbs made in ... China? In ... coal powered factories?
    I-71%, N-80%, F-74%, P-96%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah.

LED light bulbs MIGHT be viable. I'm actually going to buy one of those LED based-bulbs soon and tell what I find. They're a little expensive, but if they last longer and they're the only alternative... they might be worth it.

I'm rather desperate for an alternative, because I've never liked florescent... at all.

MBTI
    INTP

^^^ Athenian, I'm not sure you are going to like the 45 watt incandescent equivalent for your 60 bucks.

Thats a really dull bulb.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrionzRevenge View Post
    ^^^ Athenian, I'm not sure you are going to like the 45 watt incandescent equivalent for your 60 bucks.

Thats a really dull bulb.

But I don't WANT those CFL bulbs! There are so many things I hate about them. Geez, are you telling me it's pretty much either that, or sit in the dark?

heart on fire

I hate flourenscent lights. They make me feel depressed and disconnected.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

They've long had compact fluorescent in incandescent color (2700K). It's called "warm white". (Actully, warm white was originally the pale, ~3000K light of the old "earth light" early CFL's, which was the closest they cold come to incandescent "soft white". Now the color is exact, though it retained the "warm" label).

LED color has gone the same path, from daylight, to pale yellow, to some good incandescent simulations. Though bulbs are not only expensive, but relatively dim as well. Though I'm not sure about the ones in the link with 150 LED's.

They also have this, where you can adjust the color temp from warm to cool: New LED Bulbs by Sharp Can be Remotely Tuned Between 7 Shades of White : TreeHugger

There's even LED's with dies shaped like filaments!
    LEDs with filaments! - CandlePowerForums
    Don't know how they do that. But it would be the perfect replacement for chandeliers and such.

I've made the total transition to CFL, and want to start switching to LED, but the cost and brightness are what's holding that up.

I myself always liked the "pure white" or daylight color better. When I was a kid, there were no CFL's, and the only bulbs that color were mercury vapors, but not only could they not be found in any hardware store, they required a ballast.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

your resident asshole

Someone has to try out LED lights and tell me how it works out for them. :p

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Aren't these types killer for migraine sufferers? Don't they trigger migraines?
    Perfect.

I hate fluorescent lights. With a passion. Ugh. If anything, my pretty little incandescents save energy, considering that I currently live in a small space with a heater that I never turn on because whatever minuscule amount of heat energy coming from the lighting makes my room warm enough to live in comfortably (it has no heat source of its own, so the lights are definitely doing something). With fluorescent bulbs, I'd probably have to turn on the heat, expelling the same amount of energy anyway. It's so pointless. Plus, in order to accommodate this, I'd have to redo the lighting in the room, because my fixtures can't take fluorescent bulbs.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aerithria View Post
    Perfect.

I hate fluorescent lights. With a passion. Ugh. If anything, my pretty little incandescents save energy, considering that I currently live in a small space with a heater that I never turn on because whatever minuscule amount of heat energy coming from the lighting makes my room warm enough to live in comfortably (it has no heat source of its own, so the lights are definitely doing something). With fluorescent bulbs, I'd probably have to turn on the heat, expelling the same amount of energy anyway. It's so pointless. Plus, in order to accommodate this, I'd have to redo the lighting in the room, because my fixtures can't take fluorescent bulbs.
    There are a couple things worth noting:

1. They won't phase them out right away. They'll probably keep selling them for another year or two. You have plenty of time to stock up. I doubt the ban will be strict enough to stop people from using up their existing supplies.

2. There are a few designs of alternatives (like one of the LED lights I'm looking at, and even a few "cold cathode" fluorescent designs) you can try that should fit in the same space.

3. They'll keep allowing incandescent novelty bulbs for a longer time, as well as "duty" bulbs or any bulb over 100 watts. So if you really want to hold on to them after they phase them out, you can try getting a colored light bulb, or something over 100 watts.

And don't worry, DisneyGeek... I've purchased one of the likely candidate LED light replacements. This one is supposedly a 60W replacement. We'll find out if we have a viable alternative soon enough.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    There are a couple things worth noting:

1. They won't phase them out right away. They'll probably keep selling them for another year or two. You have plenty of time to stock up. I doubt the ban will be strict enough to stop people from using up their existing supplies.
    I actually hadn't thought about that, but good point. I'm not even sure how they'd even go about monitoring that to begin with, let alone figuring out how to properly enforce such a law.

2. There are a few designs of alternatives (like one of the LED lights I'm looking at, and even a few "cold cathode" fluorescent designs) you can try that should fit in the same space.

3. They'll keep allowing incandescent novelty bulbs for a longer time, as well as "duty" bulbs or any bulb over 100 watts. So if you really want to hold on to them after they phase them out, you can try getting a colored light bulb, or something over 100 watts.
    The issue for me is that the light bulbs that fit into my fixture are flood lights, which I haven't seen a fluorescent alternative for (not that I've actually looked though, heh). They'll probably eventually come up with something in the fluorescent variety, but I doubt they're common enough for the novelty thing.

Eh, screw it. Who needs light bulbs. I'm going back to candlelight.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]