User Tag List

123 Last

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Default computer crashed

When it crashed it wiped out all of my settings and all of my saved information. I can't find it anywhere. We have been able to restore it back to working. We ran chkdsk and defragged the computer, yet nothing of mine has been found or restored.

I have now a new home for my stuff

C:\Documents and Settings\targo.HOME-53J7RC9HKO\My Documents

where this .home tag came from I have no idea. When I search for
    C:\Documents and Settings\targo\My Documents it says that file doesn't exist. I am frustrated and upset b/c I have lost many many pictures. It also seems we went from an 80GB hard drive down to a 74GB hard drive. Yes 6GB just disappeared.... I am thinking that is where my stuff is. Any ideas?
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

That's a calculation difference. They sell on a larger number than you'll actually get, so there's no hidden stuff there.

I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    enfp

I am an administrator and um it was 79.4 GB when we initially bought it..... *sigh*
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Have you checked to see if a new drive partition was created? A system restore partition might have been created.

Also, how did you restore it back to working? Did you use System Restore to go back to the last restore point? If you did, you may have lost all data created since your last backup. Is that roughly the data you've lost?

MBTI
    INFJ

i agree with athenian200, sounds like a partition problem.

System restore is a good idea, but only if it was actually set, thats the key with it. (*realises that athenian said something similar*) hehe

MBTI
    enfp

how do I check for a partition?
    Jung Test Results

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I am an administrator and um it was 79.4 GB when we initially bought it..... *sigh*
    Your B+ tree has become corrupted or lost a branch. You really can't reallocate your disk and add a partition with lost data in it without taking a lot of specific efforts to do so. Partitions don't just magically appear containing valid data.

You may wish to see if a former filesystem state is available (it's like a journal diff), which *might* restore your data, but if you've used it much since it was deleted or didn't leave enough space for the magic process (System Restore allows you to us it), you might be out of luck.

Just for shits and giggles, could you make all files visible and try to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\ then see if there's a targo there (could have all sorts of weird extensions if you have such a weird user directory now), then go in there and see if there's a directory such as "targo's documents" or something similar (it's a weird XP thing I've run into sometimes).

No offense intended, but this thread makes me sad and yet has a deep ironic humor to it.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    enfp

I will have to get my husband to look at this b/c well to be honest I don't quite understand *sigh*
    Jung Test Results

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Right-click "My Computer", click "Explore".
    Go to the menu item "Tools"->"Folder Options..."
    Select the "View" tab.
    Under "Advanced Settings", make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
    You may also want to deselect "Hide protected operating system files", but it'll complain at you and you'll probably want to turn it back on afterward.

Now, navigate through the filesystem.

MBTI
    enfp

done that and still not seeing anything that I have lost.

It's odd that I lost all my picture files but I didn't lose my music files. It seems that my shared files stayed in tact but my personal files are lost.
    Jung Test Results