• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

computer crashed

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This tag means that there is still stored your old home directory (targo) and the file system couldn't name the new home directory with the same name, so it added an not-so-random extension (I've been told it has something to do with the service pack version but never checked this out). So your files are probably still stored somewhere.

The files could have been corrupted, actually. Technically it isn't the file system that gave the new home directory it's name, because the file system is just the format that determines how the data is stored on the drive. It's the utility that was used to check the (presumably NTFS) file system (CHKDSK), that changed the name. I believe the extension was related to the activation code and/or serial number of the Windows installation.
Maybe a chkdsk /r would clear the mistake. If you have the possibility to add your hard disk to another system as a second drive and search the files from the other system, that would be even better

That might work... but you'd need to run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console by booting from your Windows XP installation CD.

Also, you could try to use a third-party search utility (like this one) because the built-in one doesn't appear to work correctly. FindUtils for Windows

You would just download the binaries and search for online documentation about how to input the parameters for your search, after you unzip the file, run CMD, and CD to the directory you unzipped it to.

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a Pre-Installed environment CD (either from that computer or another one) with this:

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

And try to look from the file from in there.

Finally, if that doesn't work, there are advanced data recovery services/utilities such as:

Download critical data recovery software - computer data recovery with ZAR.

Hard Drive Recovery - Hard Drive Data Recovery - Ontrack Data Recovery

Crashed Hard Disk Drives Recovery Services at Disk Doctors

I hope this helps.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
The files could have been corrupted, actually. Technically it isn't the file system that gave the new home directory it's name, because the file system is just the format that determines how the data is stored on the drive. It's the utility that was used to check the (presumably NTFS) file system (CHKDSK), that changed the name. I believe the extension was related to the activation code and/or serial number of the Windows installation.
Bad athenian200, BAD! Totally wrong. The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually). It was definitely not changed by chkdsk.

lastrailway

... The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually)...

I keep wondering whether it has to do or not with the service pack's directory number. Never had the opportunity to check this

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
I have no idea.... all I know is that I have to literally pull my husband (entp) away from the lap top and get him to look at this. I would think he would want to as he's the one who's gonna have to tell his MOTHER (aka bitch? esfj?) that the computer ate the family pictures that she so didn't want me to take..... grumble!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Bad athenian200, BAD! Totally wrong. The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually). It was definitely not changed by chkdsk.

Okay then, my mistake, CHKDSK didn't change it. My point, however, was that the file system itself is only a storage format for the drive, and without some kind of program running on top of it, it cannot create or destroy a directory. Some kind of script or program that deals with the file system must have created it.

Zergling

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ExTJ
I have no idea.... all I know is that I have to literally pull my husband (entp) away from the lap top and get him to look at this. I would think he would want to as he's the one who's gonna have to tell his MOTHER (aka bitch? esfj?) that the computer ate the family pictures that she so didn't want me to take..... grumble!

There's only one solution than: buy some garrote wire for next time you meet her. (Sorry, I'm no help with the computer stuff.)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I were not a full day's trip away I'd volunteer on-site support, but from here the bus ride itself would be 10 hours... :shock: