User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    This tag means that there is still stored your old home directory (targo) and the file system couldn't name the new home directory with the same name, so it added an not-so-random extension (I've been told it has something to do with the service pack version but never checked this out). So your files are probably still stored somewhere.
    The files could have been corrupted, actually. Technically it isn't the file system that gave the new home directory it's name, because the file system is just the format that determines how the data is stored on the drive. It's the utility that was used to check the (presumably NTFS) file system (CHKDSK), that changed the name. I believe the extension was related to the activation code and/or serial number of the Windows installation.
    Maybe a chkdsk /r would clear the mistake. If you have the possibility to add your hard disk to another system as a second drive and search the files from the other system, that would be even better
    That might work... but you'd need to run CHKDSK from the Recovery Console by booting from your Windows XP installation CD.

Also, you could try to use a third-party search utility (like this one) because the built-in one doesn't appear to work correctly. FindUtils for Windows

You would just download the binaries and search for online documentation about how to input the parameters for your search, after you unzip the file, run CMD, and CD to the directory you unzipped it to.

If that doesn't work, you could try creating a Pre-Installed environment CD (either from that computer or another one) with this:

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD

And try to look from the file from in there.

Finally, if that doesn't work, there are advanced data recovery services/utilities such as:

Download critical data recovery software - computer data recovery with ZAR.

Hard Drive Recovery - Hard Drive Data Recovery - Ontrack Data Recovery

Crashed Hard Disk Drives Recovery Services at Disk Doctors

I hope this helps.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    The files could have been corrupted, actually. Technically it isn't the file system that gave the new home directory it's name, because the file system is just the format that determines how the data is stored on the drive. It's the utility that was used to check the (presumably NTFS) file system (CHKDSK), that changed the name. I believe the extension was related to the activation code and/or serial number of the Windows installation.
    Bad athenian200, BAD! Totally wrong. The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually). It was definitely not changed by chkdsk.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    ... The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually)...
    I keep wondering whether it has to do or not with the service pack's directory number. Never had the opportunity to check this

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

I have no idea.... all I know is that I have to literally pull my husband (entp) away from the lap top and get him to look at this. I would think he would want to as he's the one who's gonna have to tell his MOTHER (aka bitch? esfj?) that the computer ate the family pictures that she so didn't want me to take..... grumble!
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Bad athenian200, BAD! Totally wrong. The stuff after the dash is the (automatic) computer name because a directory already existed for that username (usually). It was definitely not changed by chkdsk.
    Okay then, my mistake, CHKDSK didn't change it. My point, however, was that the file system itself is only a storage format for the drive, and without some kind of program running on top of it, it cannot create or destroy a directory. Some kind of script or program that deals with the file system must have created it.

MBTI
    INFJ

I remember I crashed a computer once, then I found I was driving the wrong direction.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    I have no idea.... all I know is that I have to literally pull my husband (entp) away from the lap top and get him to look at this. I would think he would want to as he's the one who's gonna have to tell his MOTHER (aka bitch? esfj?) that the computer ate the family pictures that she so didn't want me to take..... grumble!
    There's only one solution than: buy some garrote wire for next time you meet her. (Sorry, I'm no help with the computer stuff.)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

If I were not a full day's trip away I'd volunteer on-site support, but from here the bus ride itself would be 10 hours...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by targo View Post
    (aka bitch? esfj?)
    Are those synonyms?

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~ targobelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Are those synonyms?

no just thoughts *sigh*
    ~t ...in need of hugs please...
    Jung Test Results
    Extroverted (E) 63.16% Intuitive (N) 60.53% Feeling (F) 84.38% Perceiving (P) 87.1% ~Your type is: ENFP