• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

aerodynamics and tall people

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
so my mom got an audi a4 recently and she keeps talking about how great of a drive it is but I've been unable to properly enjoy it because the ceiling is about 3 inches too low for me.

Is there a reason they make cars so short?

her boyfriend has a porshe and I have the exact same problem.

I spend pretty much all my time in cars now sitting at weird angles or with my head out the window like a dog.

Aerodynamics or aesthetics?!

what is it that keeps cars so short?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i am tall also.
that is why convertibles are better than roofs, and motorcycles are better than all.

bud-ekins-escape.jpg

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
so my mom got an audi a4 recently and she keeps talking about how great of a drive it is but I've been unable to properly enjoy it because the ceiling is about 3 inches too low for me.

Is there a reason they make cars so short?

her boyfriend has a porshe and I have the exact same problem.

I spend pretty much all my time in cars now sitting at weird angles or with my head out the window like a dog.

Aerodynamics or aesthetics?!

what is it that keeps cars so short?

Aerodynamics driven aesthetics

For every XX degree of slant on the wind shield, fuel consumption is suppose to go down if you're driving > 60km/h.

But that's very silly because you're putting in a souped up engine into this tiny sized car. Nobody cares about fuel consumption. The tiny reduction in drag isn't really going to improve rate of acceleration. So I guess it's all just aesthetics.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is why I'm getting a truck. Fuck this car business...

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
Aerodynamics?!

Yes. Therefore, money.

A smaller engine to get to the same speeds, also leading to a lighter car.

Lower aerodynamic drag + small engine + light car = considerably better gas mileage, and a cheaper car to begin with.

More moneys for you and them.

You need to systematically incorporate shorter people into your gene pool.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I'm 6ft 0". Never had any problems with head space.

Could it be that they make the cars big enough but the people too big?

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I never thought I'd see anyone complain about driving in audis and porches...

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
head space and leg room was a high priority on my list when i bought a car last year, as we are all tall in my family. but i also wanted something rather sexy and posh and reliable.

i ended up with a mercury milan because it has great ratings, a japanese engine, and excellent leg and head room. you can reach your long legs out as far as they can go in the front seat and your toes won't hit the end. i love my milan.

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
^ I'm the short one in the family. The reason why cars are short for the OP is because the designers always cater to the midrange of the bell curve.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Could also be a way to keep the center of gravity low. The more power and torque, the more you might want to lower the center of gravity and widen the wheel base.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
You are not alone. At 6'4" I find I either have slouch my seat forward or lean way the hell back.

D

Dali

What cars are these? I'm 6'4" (well-proportioned) and rarely have problems with head-space in most cars (sedans, SUVs...) but the legspace is what's often a b*tch.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
What cars are these? I'm 6'4" (well-proportioned) and rarely have problems with head-space in most cars (sedans, SUVs...) but the legspace is what's often a b*tch.

Compacts. My next vehicle will probably be a small SUV for this reason.