User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Volkswagen GTI

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Volkswagen GTI

I'm thinking about trading in my '05 Ford Focus ZX3, which has around 70k miles on it for a 06-08 GTI, sometime after my return to the sates. Anybody here have one and recommend it?

When you trade in a car, you aren't going to be compensated as much were you to privately sell it. How much of a headache is it to sell a car, typically?

Such a beaut.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Because I'm a car nut - That car looks ugly as hell, but that's not why I'm here.

Buying or selling a car through a private seller can be a huge hassle. The seller has to worry about the vehicle remaining in functioning order. This is dependent on the laws of the state/area and if the buyer turns your ass in. That and the seller will get a lot of deadbeat shoppers/lookers. I had that problem when looking to buy my Deuce. The other guy reported about three different people coming to look at it, and they all bailed.

The car was on sale for close to six months when I finally bought it and he lost about $2500 on it. Transfering the title through a private party is also a pain.

As for trading it in - it's to my understanding that you are trading it in for less than it's current market value, in exchange for a discount on another vehicle. With a buddy it worked out to - his GMC Sierra was worth $13000, but trading it in would yield only $7500.

[Edit] There are guides that dealers use for market value - these, among others, can give you an idea of what your car will fetch:
    New Cars, Used Cars, Blue Book Prices & Car Values - Kelley Blue Book
    New Car Prices, Used Car Values, New Car Reviews & Car Buying Guides - NADAguides.com Official Site
    ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Thanks for your input.

The GTI ugly though? WHAT?! I take it your not into hatchbacks much?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

I like the 80s Hot Hatch style.

ESTP - Definition: "Love" is making a shot to the knees of a target a 120 km away, with an aratech sniper rifle and tri-light scope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Different strokes... lol

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

Yes, I loath mini-vans with passion, namely the Dodge Caravan. There is one in particular, that I hope meets it's fate in a car crusher.

But not too slowly. I want it's engine to crumple, the oil and various transmission fluid to gush out slowly, and I want it's metal frame to grind in pain.

Note the all to familiar hatch style -

If I drive a hatch, it must be a small car.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Now, are you confusing the GTI as a mini-van? You said you were a car-nut, so probably not the case. Just making sure though.

Here's an '83 GTI:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics

I'm not in the minority on how a mini-van looks, note the Volkswagen style - two passenger compartments vs. three.

mini-van - Google Image Search
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More human than human MetalWounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    TP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I too would like to voice my disapproval of minivans and the inherently amoral people who drive them.

When you trade in a car, you almost always loose some money on it. After all, the dealer has to find a way to turn around and sell your trade in for a profit. The trick is to make up the money you loose on the price of the car that you're trying to buy.

Coming back from Iraq you'll probably have enough money to buy it outright, but don't let the dealer know that right away because they'll probably try to hose you. If you finance it, put as much money down upfront as you're comfortable with. The more you put down the more you save in interest.
    I'm doing science and I'm still alive

MBTI
    ISTx

^word. I plan to put a decent down payment on it, but I can't afford to lose all my money I make out here to a car.