User Tag List

First 123 Last

Oberon

Creationism vs. materialist theories of the origin of the earth just piss me off.

The person of faith can say "God made me" and mean it, even though he or she knows about the mechanics of gamete cells, meiosis and mitosis, sperm and egg, and gestation. Knowing the naturalistic process by which humans are made does not invalidate the statement of faith.

So why should the faithful balk at the idea a naturalistic process for the making of the earth, on the basis of a statement of faith? It's quite frustrating.

The Model T was made because Henry Ford said so. The Model T was assembled by hundreds of workers in a plant in Dearborn, using ordinary tools and parts. These two statements are not in conflict.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Creationism vs. materialist theories of the origin of the earth just piss me off.

The person of faith can say "God made me" and mean it, even though he or she knows about the mechanics of gamete cells, meiosis and mitosis, sperm and egg, and gestation. Knowing the naturalistic process by which humans are made does not invalidate the statement of faith.

So why should the faithful balk at the idea a naturalistic process for the making of the earth, on the basis of a statement of faith? It's quite frustrating.

The Model T was made because Henry Ford said so. The Model T was assembled by hundreds of workers in a plant in Dearborn, using ordinary tools and parts. These two statements are not in conflict.

Edit: I like that Model T analogy. I'll TRY to remember to credit you for it if I use it in conversation, but it'll be a bit embarrassing to say "Oberon67, my imaginary friend on the Internets, once said..."
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon167
    ...Henry Ford...
    So Oberon believes that God made the universe, then died and his product was run into the ground by incompetent underlings? <confused>
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So Oberon believes that God made the universe, then died and his product was run into the ground by incompetent underlings? <confused>
    lol. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that (except for the "God died" part) sounds about right.
    By the way, I'm the girl in the picture, lol.... happily married though, so don't even...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    lol. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that (except for the "God died" part) sounds about right.
    Heh. I thought about saying that. I sometimes think of God going to a sort of cosmic Hawai'i somewhere, coming back with a bunch of leis around his neck and a great tan, seeing the messes we've made and heaving a big sigh. "You GUYS!"

Edit: Or like Tina Fey in that Amex commercial where she goes "Does Momma have to do everything around here?" :P
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

their improved C14 dating methods show the earth to be no more than fifty-seven thousand years old They also theorize that biomass before the flood may have been up to one hundred times its size today, diluting the C14 by one hundred times or more. Since C14 has a half-life of 5,730 years,
    Given that other parts of physics, geology, and biology agree with a much older age of the earth, C-14 dating with such a short half life would not be used as evidence of age. (Even in millions of years, possibly even hundreds of thousands of years, it would not be used.)

The flood bit does suggest a lot of bias to the article, as if we didn't know that already.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Given that other parts of physics, geology, and biology agree with a much older age of the earth, C-14 dating with such a short half life would not be used as evidence of age. (Even in millions of years, possibly even hundreds of thousands of years, it would not be used.)
    Yes, the problems with C-14 dating have been known for a long time by scientists and are not used to date things past around 50,000 years (which addresses the complaint in the OP).

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire
    lol, I was laughing when I was typing it, because aside from "God died," I was thinking the rest seemed very true regardless...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    <confused>
    <unsurprised>

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

As far as evolution vs. creationism, who knows? Maybe the world was created in 7 earth days...

Quote Originally Posted by RansomedbyFire View Post
    Grrr.... I don't know what happened there. Maybe the post was too long for the forum to handle or something, *shrugs*. I should've proofread it. Sorry.
    I've had that happen with three different articles I've posted here
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/