User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New planet discovered, "Gliese 581 c"

Quote Originally Posted by Beyonder View Post
    I guess it would... Well, now that you mention it, I wouldn't want to be one of the first colonists, me already having a rather large appetite lol
    I'll go and check it out once we get exosuits or something
    The current ones need a bit of work

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

Well, this has been a completely educational conversation, sofar... I'm really not up-to-date on those things (I live in my own little philosophical world... I don't even watch the news anymore)

A lot of people are pretty active in those fields already, aren't they? Still. I'm not one for space-exploration. Something about it scares the living daylights out of me... Probably something about there being so much space and everything
    "I determined nothing."
    -Sceptical expression

Quote Originally Posted by darlets View Post
    Well in Europe they are building the biggest particle accelerator EVER. And when they start smashing things the hope is they'll prove that dark matter and gravatrons exists. And potentially see signs of branes (i.e a gravatron appears from the collision and then disappears escaping our brane).

"On this early morning in February, technicians are lowering what they say is the world's largest electromagnet into one of the 300-foot shafts. The magnet is the size of a house, and can store enough energy to melt 18 tons of gold. It is incredibly heavy and dangles over the mouth of the shaft on four little bundles of black cables."

"Q&A: Shedding Light on Physics Mysteries

by David Kestenbaum

CERN's Large Hadron Collider is scheduled to begin operation this summer. When fully operational, it will smash protons together at energies that were present just after the big bang. The collisions will occur 600 million times every second, producing a spray of subatomic debris. Physicists hope somewhere in that haystack they will find the following needles:

The Higgs Particle (Named after physicist Peter Higgs)

What does it do? It gives things mass. The Higgs particle would be a companion to an (also hypothetical) Higgs "field." The field would pervade the universe and act like cosmic molasses, making everything hard to move. That's what we call mass.

Why do we need it? Without the Higgs particle, electrons would have no mass and atoms wouldn't stick together. We would fall apart into piles of atomic nuclei.

Likelihood it's real? High. Physicists generally agree the Higgs or something like it must exist.

How hard would it be to find? It depends on the Higgs particle's characteristics. The Higgs doesn't live long and quickly decays into other particles. Depending on what those are, physicists might be able to pick out Higgs fingerprints quickly, or it could take years of sifting through data.

Dark Matter

What is it? Dark Matter is the name given to the mysterious invisible material that seems to hang around galaxies. Estimates are that 20 percent of the stuff in the universe is dark matter. Astronomers call it dark because they can't see it.

If it's invisible, how do you find it? You don't
    CNN Update
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

when are we moving there?

Senior Member Array Anentropic IxTx's Avatar

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by sundowning View Post
    It's in a synchronous orbit, meaning it rotates at the same rate it revolves, always presenting the same face to its star (much like the Moon always faces the Earth as a result of synchronous orbit). Its orbital period is 13 days.
    Isn't that a noteworthy problem for "stuff like us" surviving there?