• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

EEG "mindreading" headset

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
our department does a lot of research on EEGs and Brain Computer Interfaces, and let me tell you that these things don't "read your mind" - they look for patterns in your brain and attempt to assign an action to that pattern ..... it can take a lot of "hit and miss" before the BCI actually will respond well to your "thoughts", but it isn't like a matrix plug in or anything....

The way biofeedback works and with BCI, getting the cursor to move to the right might require you to think about Apple Pies. It's almost entirely random the patterns that it looks for, but once it's done that you can use the device fairly reliably. Hands free chess, anyone?!

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
dude, that's obvious.
But it's still a fun technology.

sade

I'm putting you on the list of people whom not to sell it to.

Hmmm.. I wonder how long it'll take to develope that stuff to really work. For the paralyzed people that is..

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
^ it does REALLY work, already, for paralyzed people or anyone wiht intact language functioning. The biggest problem right now is the # of errors it makes - even with a trained user, it has like a 10-15 % error rate

ygolo

My termites win
What good it this without some demos

[YOUTUBE="7utG3NqhBoU"]Emotiv Epoc Press Demo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="0at3NzNRySg"]Neural Wheelchair Control[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="40L3SGmcPDQ"]Mind Control Device Demonstration - Tan Le[/YOUTUBE]

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I would invest in this company if I were you people. This company is going to be exteremely profitable. Like the next google and microsoft.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
^ while it has potential to return great profit, I think it'd still carry a high risk - it's a smaller company and they tend to fold very often for a variety of reasons.

Don't forget, there were thousands of "amazons" before amazon.com became what we know it as.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I see, but its better to bet on one than nothing........
Its a R & D company, and R &D always has risks

sade

^ it does REALLY work, already, for paralyzed people or anyone wiht intact language functioning. The biggest problem right now is the # of errors it makes - even with a trained user, it has like a 10-15 % error rate

Sorry... I was party joking.

redacted

Forget the EEG, it's all about electrodes directly on the brain! (It will get there eventually.)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Mark my word... unless there's significant changes in the way we conduct science, mind reading is not going to happen in the next 50-100 years.

What we do currently in neurophysiology is the reductionists approach. To learn everything we can about the various receptors, channels and mediators. I think there'll be a point where we'll have a good understanding of how each related biochemical pathways work within the cell. But the theory about converting pathway activation from individual cells to consciousness and how we think simply isn't there. And no amount of scientific studies can derive an answer until we have a hypothesis to test it on.

ygolo

My termites win
^"Mind reading" is a euphamism for what they're doing in the demo. Watch the 3rd video I posted. It's still pretty damn cool.

Duke university researchers got monkeys (w/ electrodes placed in the brain) to control a robot arm around 6 years ago. Some researchers were able to read alpha wave strength from a human subjects to control the speed of train something like 12 years ago. Prosthetics have been controled by nerve impulse signals for many years now. Recently Japanese scientists were able to image what a person was reading (just one word, but in principle it will scale).

It's not about the chemical pathways, just the electrical signals.

nozflubber

MBTI Type
Hype
Mark my word... unless there's significant changes in the way we conduct science, mind reading is not going to happen in the next 50-100 years.

What we do currently in neurophysiology is the reductionists approach. To learn everything we can about the various receptors, channels and mediators. I think there'll be a point where we'll have a good understanding of how each related biochemical pathways work within the cell. But the theory about converting pathway activation from individual cells to consciousness and how we think simply isn't there. And no amount of scientific studies can derive an answer until we have a hypothesis to test it on.

If i'm not mistake, isn't the "Hold up" so to speak literally about the CODE of the human brain, and not just understanding all the of bioelectrical mechanics of the brain?

IMO, this is why language manifests in us but in no other animals..... there's something really "oddball" about the software governing the human brain, and we have no clue what it is! :D