User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Forget the EEG, it's all about electrodes directly on the brain! (It will get there eventually.)

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Mark my word... unless there's significant changes in the way we conduct science, mind reading is not going to happen in the next 50-100 years.

What we do currently in neurophysiology is the reductionists approach. To learn everything we can about the various receptors, channels and mediators. I think there'll be a point where we'll have a good understanding of how each related biochemical pathways work within the cell. But the theory about converting pathway activation from individual cells to consciousness and how we think simply isn't there. And no amount of scientific studies can derive an answer until we have a hypothesis to test it on.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

^"Mind reading" is a euphamism for what they're doing in the demo. Watch the 3rd video I posted. It's still pretty damn cool.

Duke university researchers got monkeys (w/ electrodes placed in the brain) to control a robot arm around 6 years ago. Some researchers were able to read alpha wave strength from a human subjects to control the speed of train something like 12 years ago. Prosthetics have been controled by nerve impulse signals for many years now. Recently Japanese scientists were able to image what a person was reading (just one word, but in principle it will scale).

It's not about the chemical pathways, just the electrical signals.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Mark my word... unless there's significant changes in the way we conduct science, mind reading is not going to happen in the next 50-100 years.

What we do currently in neurophysiology is the reductionists approach. To learn everything we can about the various receptors, channels and mediators. I think there'll be a point where we'll have a good understanding of how each related biochemical pathways work within the cell. But the theory about converting pathway activation from individual cells to consciousness and how we think simply isn't there. And no amount of scientific studies can derive an answer until we have a hypothesis to test it on.

If i'm not mistake, isn't the "Hold up" so to speak literally about the CODE of the human brain, and not just understanding all the of bioelectrical mechanics of the brain?

IMO, this is why language manifests in us but in no other animals..... there's something really "oddball" about the software governing the human brain, and we have no clue what it is!