User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    XNTJ

Default `

In some ways I like myspace/facebook etc type things, but in others I think
    people are really becomming too dependent on them and need a reality che-
    ck...I get so tired of the old "Hey how are you doing? Look me up on myspa-
    ce" lines when I run into people if it takes you a while to find them they ask
    every time you see them but when you finally find them they don't reply to
    nothing or send you anything even though they tell you to send them stuff...
    I'm tired of people that play both ends down the middle and think its o.k to
    lead people on like that you're interested in getting back in touch that really
    hurts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Yes, it is. It's a multi-billion dollar company, entirely through advertising.
    Came across this thread again today. To reiterate, no, FB is not (yet) profitable.

A company valuation is not the same as profitability. Things are much more hush-hush around FB these days in regard to actual profits. And they fired their CFO in March.

Here's what CEO Mark Zuckerberg said last month:

"Based on our first quarter results, we now believe we are on track to see our revenue grow by at least 70% this year. We just completed our fifth straight quarter of EBITDA profitability. And most importantly, we expect to achieve free cash flow profitability next year."

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    ?
    Advertisements, obviously.

MBTI
    INTP

I wouldn't be surprised if, in addition to advertisements, they also sold user information to third parties.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if, in addition to advertisements, they also sold user information to third parties.
    Isn't that illegal?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Revenue is advertising-based.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Isn't that illegal?
    No... I don't mean information like "Rhinosaur lives at 456 Home St., phone number 234-4567" but more like "45.3% of people prefer Suave over Pert Plus" kind of information.

Their privacy policy doesn't really go there, though. This is all I found, and it's not much, which is somewhat of a relief:

Facebook may use information in your profile without identifying you as an individual to third parties. We do this for purposes such as aggregating how many people in a network like a band or movie and personalizing advertisements and promotions so that we can provide you Facebook. We believe this benefits you. You can know more about the world around you and, where there are advertisements, they're more likely to be interesting to you. For example, if you put a favorite movie in your profile, we might serve you an advertisement highlighting a screening of a similar one in your town. But we don't tell the movie company who you are.

[snip]

We may provide information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers, to send out email updates about Facebook, to remove repetitive information from our user lists, to process payments for products or services, to offer an online job application process, or to provide search results or links (including sponsored links). In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilize third parties for the processing of any personal information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information to the Facebook-specified purposes.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    No... I don't mean information like "Rhinosaur lives at 456 Home St., phone number 234-4567" but more like "45.3% of people prefer Suave over Pert Plus" kind of information.
    Yeah, they do collect a lot of statistics, even if informally.

I'm curious to know how much money they've duped out of people who are willing to pay $1.00 each for their 'gifts'.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

So it comes down to:

- Ad revenue
    - Marketing information taken from users
    - e-gift shops

Well, Google wouldn't be the monolith it is today without ads, I can tell you that much.