• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

PC help?

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Quick question, how do you remove a program that doesn't show up in your regular "add/remove programs" section?

I'm trying to help my friend update her anti virus to a better one because hers was shite. I removed it (mcAfee) and am attempting to install a better one, however the new one I am trying to install is telling me that it can not continue until I have removed the program I already thought I had removed, the mcAfee one.

I've done a search to find the mcafee bugger and I have found it, tried to delete it, still nothing, it just doesn't show up in the uninstall section.

Solutions? better ones than mine which right now would be to take a baseball bat to her pc and that wouldn't make her happy.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Delete folder where the program is located, which is usually in the local disk hard-drive. Then you can delete the remaining traces with a cleaning program.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
I removed it (mcAfee)

how did you do that? (and in case you somehow used the proper uninstall routine: did you reboot the computer after that?)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
reinstalling mcAfee and uninstalling it again (with the intended method, the official uninstaller) should work.

River

flowing quietly by
MBTI Type
INxP
Hmm do you mean that the \programe files\macafee file is deleted but the new one will still not install?
Control panel -> Classic view(if it is not already) -> administrative tools -> services -> order by status.
Look though the ones marked 'started', if you find any relating to mcaffee right click stop service.
Attempt to install.

(assumptions - OS windows xp, reboot has been performed atleast once post attempted uninstall)

If that still doesn't work i would go with nanook's suggestion (reinstall then uninstall) only i would boot to safe mode.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
If it's AVG free you can just install it over McAfee if it's disabled. As long as McAfee has no executable files to run it shouldn't do anything, but it does probably muck up the registry.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Sell the computer to remove the program and reinstall a Mac in its location.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Sorry I took so long to reply, I was really hungover this morning lol.

Anyway thanks for your help, especially the link to the mcafee removal program, that worked a charm.

I had already tried reinstalling then removing and that hadn't worked.

I'm at home now, thankfully leaving my friend with a better working pc than it was before all thanks to you, and me ;).

I especially loved the last two suggestions, me and my friend were cracking up. :rofl1:

Thanks. :hug: