• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Facebook or Twitter?

Facebook or Twitter?

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like FB except for shit like the Li'l Green Patch. I am on Twitter but I don't follow it regularly. Most people I know who twitter have their tweets sent to FB as status updates anyway. So right now I just have Christopher Walken's tweets coming to my cellphone so I don't miss any of them. :D

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I have both... they're for two different purpose though. FB for keeping track of people... Twitter for keeping track of info.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hardly log on to MySpace anymore, even less so Facebook, and I don't have Twitter.

In my experience with MySpace/Facebook, the people I've known in real life have ironically been the ones who deleted me from their lists. Granted, I hardly ever talked to them, but I thought that was the purpose of online social networking -- to keep friends in storage so you don't have to talk to them unless you need them.

People just don't understand the concept of efficient socializing.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Facebook! I don't really do anything with it, but it's there should I need to contact old friends. It's also good for messaging if you don't know any other way to contact someone! It's less creepy [and more comfortable] than trying to stalk them!:)

G

garbage

Facebook.. there's more to do and more to express. Also..

Most people I know who twitter have their tweets sent to FB as status updates anyway.

..that.

but I thought that was the purpose of online social networking -- to keep friends in storage so you don't have to talk to them unless you need them.

Not everyone has this perception of social networking. In many cases, and in my case at least, it serves for groups of real-life friends to connect in yet another setting.

Instead of driving us apart, as goes the stigma behind social networking, it actually brings us closer together.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I use Facebook and find that it adds value to my life on balance. The negative is that the inanity of the TMI feeds my misanthropic side (although it helps somewhat to remind myself that the data is biased because the people I respect the most share the least of themselves (correlation does not imply causation)), but the positive of connecting with acquaintances past and present more than makes up for it.

Recently I hear more and more about Twitter, so about a week ago I googled it, thinking that I should try being an early adopter for once (at least within my country), but I was unable to penetrate the concept beyond "Facebook status updates that you don't have to be Facebook friends with someone or go to Facebook to get". Even the wittiest of my Facebook friends add negligible value to my life with their status updates, and I am perfectly happy actively choosing when to view them instead of being interrupted during work or play, so I didn't bother to sign up for Twitter.

Those of you who use Twitter (as recipients), what does it do for you (that Facebook doesn't do)?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You can choose which Twitterers' updates, if any, you want to have sent to your SMS device. Otherwise you only see them when you actively log in to Twitter. Right now, I'm following a handful of people on Twitter but only Christopher Walken's tweets go to my cell phone. Most of the ones I know IRL have sent their tweets to Facebook so I log on to Twitter very rarely.

I know some people use Twitter to keep up with rapidly-changing appointments, like swim team practices and such where you might be out & about when the change is made. None of my circles use Twitter that way so for me it's just "facebook status updates." But I stick around because it might get picked up in one or more of my circles and I'll be ready. Plus, Christopher Walken. :D

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I know some people use Twitter to keep up with rapidly-changing appointments, like swim team practices and such where you might be out & about when the change is made.

How does that work, exactly? Who twitters what? :thinking:

*looks up Christopher Walken's Twitter page* ;)

Edit: Wow, I can see why you like his updates. (The following sentence is unrelated to the previous one.) He sounds INFP?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That, I'm not sure about. I assume there is some way to form groups and any member can twitter @group to send a twitter to each member of the group. I figured I would figure that out if it ever became relevant to my interests.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I use Twitter to update my Facebook status.

That was fun via cell phone from the delivery room!

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have both, but I only use Twitter to read other people's updates. I don't use Facebook that much either actually, but I do sometimes.