User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Lightbulb Game Changing Technology - Must see

Pattie Maes demos the Sixth Sense | Video on TED.com

If you like technology on any level at all, you must watch this. Enjoy!!
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I dunno, six sense is sort of a overstatement for that.

I could only see that being true with brain-implants like she mentioned at the end though.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

6th sense is definitely an overstatement. The applications for this still really need to be editted and structured. But it's still cool.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah it is pretty cool.
    But I could see there being a need for better phones and projectors. Especially in the daylight, you wouldn't be able to see barely anything.

Also, in my opinion, having it on a necklace would suck. I'd rather it be a hand-held.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

What if you had a hand-held design for the information received, and the sensors on one hand and something guided by your vision?

There are some research companies who use a screen in front of your face to track your eye movements, how long you were looking at something, and how you used your visual information. This research is mainly done to track the effectivity of websites (where you look on a website, how long you focus, what you ignore..)

What about one day evolving this technology into some sort of vision-tracking eyeware, hand sensors and handheld media device?

MBTI
    INTJ

I was thinking about something a little more simple, but really just as effective.
    Like an iPhone with a special camera that sees for example the book then automatically goes to the book's Amazon website. It would be cheaper to create that, since it's really just software.

I think they are making it a little too complex than it has to be. While you still receive the same results.
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Thats awesome I want one
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I was thinking about something a little more simple, but really just as effective.
    Like an iPhone with a special camera that sees for example the book then automatically goes to the book's Amazon website. It would be cheaper to create that, since it's really just software.

I think they are making it a little too complex than it has to be. While you still receive the same results.
    What they showed is not too terribly more complicated than what you had in mind, but much higher in the "coolness factor." The main extra complication is to recognize the gestures in context (and that is mostly software as well). The media lab is famous for that sort of stuff.

If they replace the projector with something that could work on a fairly non-intrusive pair of glasses (which does not seem far fetched in a couple of decades), then you'de have something very nice indeed. It will be especially useful when interacting with new people, like at the end of their demo.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What they showed is not too terribly more complicated than what you had in mind, but much higher in the "coolness factor." The main extra complication is to recognize the gestures in context (and that is mostly software as well). The media lab is famous for that sort of stuff.

If they replace the projector with something that could work on a fairly non-intrusive pair of glasses (which does not seem far fetched in a couple of decades), then you'de have something very nice indeed. It will be especially useful when interacting with new people, like at the end of their demo.
    Ygolo, I watched the video.

I agree with your statements.

I just think it would be easier to just scroll through an PDA or phone instead. Quicker, more efficient, and look at lot less dumb (in public). Besides do you really want to project your personal pictures onto a wall? I wouldn't... There where some obviously great ideas though, like the bookstore, and the wristwatch, and the grocery store items.

That whole finger-picture thing was rockmysocksoffawesome.
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post

I don't think technology has a limit of complexity. I think if they make something too complex for the masses to use, that's one thing, but to make something to go beyond having an actual device.. that I would Love to see. To wear something, or even eventually have an implant of some sort, and be able to do all of those things.. it'd be a fantastic piece of technology, for sure.

Iphones are shit. They're cool and all, until the first time that pos freezes. Then you're screwed. I'd so want to see that develop into something that wouldn't break, freeze, lag.. to have entire computer access from within yourself? For less than the price of a laptop?? It'll make laptops look like 8-tracks, and Iphones look like CDs.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge