User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    Books replaced word of mouth. Books were possibly edited somewhere along the line. Books were replaced by a computer. Computers are edited somewhere along the line (just look at yahoo news).
    The shovel remains constent.
    They didn't replace the other, though. If they truly had, books and word of mouth would be obsolete. We still have word of mouth, but it has taken on a different form. This forum is a giant example of word-of-mouth. You are still telling someone about something. Outside of computers much of the networking world relies on word-of-mouth. Advertising explodes when exposed to word-of-mouth. Parents still tell their children stories about their youth and what they've heard. Rumours still exist in plenty. You see? As for books, there are still plenty of book stores, book clubs, books are available digitally so you can carry them with you in a device the size of a trading card. The book hasn't faded away either. It has merely taken on a new form.

What you've said is like saying photography replaced painting. It didn't, it just developed into a new medium. The two coexist and intermingle quite happily now.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
    They didn't replace the other, though. If they truly had, books and word of mouth would be obsolete. We still have word of mouth, but it has taken on a different form. This forum is a giant example of word-of-mouth. You are still telling someone about something. Outside of computers much of the networking world relies on word-of-mouth. Advertising explodes when exposed to word-of-mouth. Parents still tell their children stories about their youth and what they've heard. Rumours still exist in plenty. You see? As for books, there are still plenty of book stores, book clubs, books are available digitally so you can carry them with you in a device the size of a trading card. The book hasn't faded away either. It has merely taken on a new form.

What you've said is like saying photography replaced painting. It didn't, it just developed into a new medium. The two coexist and intermingle quite happily now.
    You are correct. I should've put (to a minimal extent) in all that. However, What will replace the shovel?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by FemmeUrbane View Post
    Given proper imagination, and a little elbow grease (read: drugs), any thing can serve the purpose of... well... anything. Faucets can make you laugh. They can connect you to the universal consciouness... A microwave could perhaps make you see the future. We should not sacrifice our young to them, for this purpose, however.

OMG. I am so drugged. YAY COLD MEDICINE!!!
    Given the fact that I never touched an ounce of weed or any narcotics (I swear on my dad's grave, I would never disrespect him like that) and I rarely get sick, I don't know whatcha y'all talkin bout!

KanGirl- great point. I guess we can deduce it down to what would life be like without technology? I always question how life would be like under the conditions of whether or not there is a point of climax, plateau, and/or regression.

Maybe later on in the future, they might even create robots that can work as house-maids. I'm in total need of one!

deleted

Technology is "fun" with a !

Have you ever had fun before?

I guess that is not a great answer, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yup. I tried to think of something to start the thread, but ended up blank. You are asking what will improve with technology... and the answer is, essentially, everything.
    Everyone thanks for the input.

I do not agree technology can basically expand to everything. There are technologies that have more weight than others in terms of development and our dependence on it. For example, I think the iphone and ipod is just BS, a device innovated to make profit whether than serve the greater benefit of society. (sorry I pod people) It is a product for marketing rather than innovation to improve mankind. So is the current e-book and electronic paper. Some inventions are so powerful it will push us to a new era , while others are merely excessive useless gadgets.

Every technology exist because it has a function in this society.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    Everyone thanks for the input.

I do not agree technology can basically expand to everything. There are technologies that have more weight than others in terms of development and our dependence on it. For example, I think the iphone and ipod is just BS, a device innovated to make profit whether than serve the greater benefit of society. (sorry I pod people) It is a product for marketing rather than innovation to improve mankind. So is the current e-book and electronic paper. Some inventions are so powerful it will push us to a new era , while others are merely excessive useless gadgets.

This is true. However, sometimes BS inventions can engender revolutionary inventions by accident. Or at least bring up ideas for good inventions. But you're right, iphones and ipods are pieces of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WithoutaFace View Post
    This is true. However, sometimes BS inventions can engender revolutionary inventions by accident. Or at least bring up ideas for good inventions. But you're right, iphones and ipods are pieces of shit.
    LOL, i entirely agree. The steam engine and paper is much more useful than the ipod.

That is because paper is a storage medium and the steam engine can turn energy into power, while all i can think of with an ipod is to smash it to pieces.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    It is a product for marketing rather than innovation to improve mankind. So is the current e-book and electronic paper. Some inventions are so powerful it will push us to a new era , while others are merely excessive useless gadgets.
    If people want it, then it has value, and it was made possible through technology. Technology is more than what comes out of it - it's the microchips in the phone, the LCD screen, the sensor to detect orientation, the cell network...

Are those useless, just because someone builds something you don't like out of them? I play computer games on a computer so far advanced from what was imagined a few decades ago - that's technology, no matter if others approve of my use of it.

Exactly. Nothing remains untouched by the advancement of technology.

MBTI
    INTx

Well, we can sort of work with that. You're seeking out fields that will explode over the next generation or two that will revolutionize the way we do things? That would be reasonable. Such as cars in the early 20th, computers in the late 20th.

I'm of the opinion that computers, while certainly not perfected, are past the explosion stage. They are fast enough and hold enough information to suit most people's wants. Home users with good connections can basically stream multi-media in realtime, though there's room for improvement still.

I think economic pressures will nudge alternative energies onto the spotlight. It won't happen overnight, but things like electrical, heating, and transportation shortages are not at all well tolerated by the general public, and will hit high-profile places like California increasingly often. Energy management is huge and will reform society to a great degree over time. I don't put much stock into the doomsday scenario of society collapsing - we have all the pieces, we've beat the window of relying on fossil fuelds, we just don't have the motivation, yet. May also trigger an environmental kick by proxy.

Another that I think is coming, though maybe not for some decades or even centuries still, are a few key breakthroughs in genetics. Quality of life could really explode upwards in a short time.

I don't hate the ipod. I just don't think it is very significant in the technology revbolution.
    It seems more like a toy for teenagers than an innovation.