User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Designer Babies

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Here's a question, would you trust a lab to mess with your genetics to create a beautiful exterior for your child or would you wonder if they were messing with more than externals while they were in there? Like genes for independent thought, etc?
    Just to be clear, no one is messing with genes yet.

I would trust them more than I would trust nature to give me a child that didn't suffer from some genetic disease that would make their life miserable, and possibly the parents as well. I'd do a full genetic screening in a heartbeat. If I could, I might even select particular personality traits and beyond, including things like intelligence. I'd have to avoid getting into a minority game situation, but I certainly have no hesitation to do it.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Is that the offical word from the un-offical labs out there?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Why can't people just like their children the way they are, or accept the way they may be? I don't get it. I would never want to personally select my child's eye and hair color or anything else for that matter.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

How do they do it? Select eye colour and hair colour I mean? I have a fair idea how they select for sex.

Have you ever met parents who continuously churn out kids of one sex in their desperation to have one of the opposite gender?(they trusted to nature) One family I knew had six boys, and finally they got their girl. The women openly admitted she'd keep getting pregnant until she had a girl. There isn't any thing wrong inherently with that, but I always think of them when I read about sex selection in babies.

It's not really much different than having only sperm donors with an IQ of 140 and above. Intelligent women need only apply.

Personally, I'd much rather leave it to luck - although I hear you on genetic testing for disorders. As a general rule, parents have a fair idea there's a nasty disease lurking in the family (not always though).
    Which reminds me, I have another story about that..maybe I'll save that for another day.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    Why can't people just like their children the way they are, or accept the way they may be? I don't get it. I would never want to personally select my child's eye and hair color or anything else for that matter.
    b'cause I don't really want kids in the first place, so knowing for SURE that a potential brat of mine wouldn't be a dumbass could be a good motivation. And a way to boost birth rates in industrialised countries. also.

I don't see what's wrong with it really. Except for the bullshit christian moralists I mean, but I believe a rise in average intelligence would pretty much mean a drastic reduction in religious movements.

Natural selection's almost switched off in our society. We need to compensate with a form of limited eugenics. Yes it has it's drawbacks but then again, everything has, maybe it's time for people to grow up.

This would have to be limited ofc, so we don't end up with 'one perfect genotype' and lose some potentially interesting gene combinations in the future or make humanity more fragile when it comes to pandemics.

Anyway, even then, if we had a set of genes to make people smarter, stronger, live longer, resist stuffs like aids and be 10 times less likely to get cancer. Would we say 'aw but we need people to be different so we'll keep it far away from 99% of the population'. That would be like saying that mormons' kids should live like it's the 15th century because then we city dwellers get to have 'cultural wealth and diversity' to admire.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post

I would trust them more than I would trust nature to give me a child that didn't suffer from some genetic disease that would make their life miserable, and possibly the parents as well. I'd do a full genetic screening in a heartbeat. If I could, I might even select particular personality traits and beyond, including things like intelligence. I'd have to avoid getting into a minority game situation, but I certainly have no hesitation to do it.
    I'd do it too.
    Might even wonder about the personality traits, but that tends to be a more: I'd let it come as it comes -area. I don't care for the cosmetics that much, not for the hair and skin color.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    I don't care for the cosmetics that much, not for the hair and skin color.
    the kid would care!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

... In theory.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Is that the offical word from the un-offical labs out there?
    It's not feasible at the present time, so I guess it's the official word

Hopefully there isn't any human research going on out there, but given the state of the majority of the population, I see it as entirely possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    the kid would care!
    Invent a way to ask the unborn child and I'll let her/him choose.

The baby's daddy isn't going to look like me (hopefully!). Difference happens. So?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    Invent a way to ask the unborn child and I'll let her/him choose.

The baby's daddy isn't going to look like me (hopefully!). Difference happens. So?
    Not planning on marrying ur twin brother?

gross!

... In theory.