User Tag List

First 12

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    time is not an independent cvariable of energy. As for time being a vector quantity and energyt being scalar. I do not know how this works.
    Time responds to the mass and kinetic energy of a system in that as the speed or mass increases, the system's spacetime "footprint" is altered, thereby affecting time's rate.

Also, maybe my explanation of time as vector component is misleading. Hopefully this site may help:

One of the easiest ways to understand this effect is to think of objects with mass as traveling through space-time, instead of just space. All objects with mass travel with a constant "speed" through space-time (It's not really velocity, as velocity is motion over distance, not distance and time). If an object is stationary in relation to its surroundings, it is traveling only through time, at it's constant speed. In fact, the object is traveling through time alone at the speed of light. If the object begins to move, it's speed through space-time remains constant, but it's speed through time must slow down to compensate. If the object moves through space at a speed approaching the speed of light, it's speed through time diminishes significantly. If it moves through space at the speed of light, it will stop "moving" through time altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    time is not an independent cvariable of energy. As for time being a vector quantity and energyt being scalar. I do not know how this works.
    In addition to what Jock mentioned, there is a quantum mechanical link as well. Tme and Energy are conjugate to each other. Therefore, just like momentum and postion, there in an uncertainty principle involving time and energy.

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I disagree with you here. I think entropy has to do with everything concerning time. Entropy gives matter and energy rules for how it should behave. Time is simply the rate at which those processes behave, and it is not an illusion, because we can change the rate at which it moves across different reference frames by manipulate the energy of the system. While our idea of seconds, minutes, hours and years are certainly arbitrary and based on how our minds experience time, that doesn't mean time itself is created by our minds.
    Yes I know spacetime.

I meant I dont like to tamper with mind constructs concerning for example time travel. I rather like to tamper with mind constructs based on entropy for example. I meant a mere definition thing, because I have been confronted with meta-physics in the past and though they are great philosophers, they tend to bend something they heard from physics into a philosophical issue and expand the theory.

I like that and its cool but I cant follow their ideas without mathematical proof. Most of the times; I have been confronted with them, I got bored because they used a lot of fantasy and interpreted but lacked to care about any physical / mathematical proof.

I am sorry, this is off-topic, I just got some issues with philosophers
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

This might be too much of a simplification but...

As time moves forward, more events occur; more things interact. It takes more information to describe the order of the system, because more has happened to put the system in its current state. Hence on a universal level, a move toward chaos is ensured.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

things in the universe can only exist in two forms : matter and energy.
    If time is not matter, then it kmust be energy.

sorry, ygolo and jock, the article seemed a little difficult to understand but I will try my best.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I always thought about the arrow of time as the central limit theorem of life/universe, so to speak. With each second (we may use another measure - particle interaction, maybe) we are "rolling a dice" with every interaction. If we roll a million of dices at once, then we would be extremely surprised to find an expected value different than 3 (assuming a 6-faced dice).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

There is also the question why only time has an infinite quality while other properties of the universe does not. Perhaps we can include space.

MBTI
    XNTJ

Default `

it is kind of ironic how you remember certain things
    that had escaped your memory for years then they help you figure out a solu
    tion to a current situation, or you find a long-missing object when you get th-
    is twinge and an urge to check a certain place even though you really don't
    know why after you'd forgotten about them entirely and weren't thinking of anything related, and it inspires you to change some situation in your life. On one side of the coin it seems coincidence and rationally explainable, but on the other it doesn't. I'm not sure how much stock I put into this stuff but it
    can raise an eyebrow sometimes. The fact that the past can affect the pre-
    sent and the past in between can be affected by those things being forgott-
    en then you remember those things and it feels like time flows more normally,
    but then you realize the stuff in between must have had some kind of purpo-
    se like people you meet and things you wouldn't have gotten to know about
    them if things would have been different and experiences you might have sur-
    passed entirely if you were where you were 'supposed' to be. If they could
    figure out those mysteries perhaps time travel could be fathomable.

What if all the watches in the world go anticlockwise? What will happen to time?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I still see time as nothing more then a mere perception of movement, but time itself isn't an existential factor. It's not manipulative, it's not there.

Clocks measure themselves, we use time to measure our movement and ourselves. But there is, has and always will be only the present.