User Tag List

Thread: Power question

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default Power question

I'm working on a design so I can build my own watt meter and I want it to be as accurate as possible. My question is, do power companies charge you for only real power? Or do you get charged for reactive power as well?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'm working on a design so I can build my own watt meter and I want it to be as accurate as possible. My question is, do power companies charge you for only real power? Or do you get charged for reactive power as well?
    At first I thought it sounded a little evil to charge for reactive power but I read up on it, and some power companies do charge for it, just to penalise people for using large induction motors and other things that cause problems on the network.

Maybe check the power company's web site or details on whoever supplies you.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INTJ

They charge for reactive power because it is considered "unused" power that is a pain to put back in. They want you to use it and not put it back into the grid.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Have you looked into getting a windmill? I heard somewhere that they are as cheap as maybe 10 grand or some junk like that. I was thinking of looking into permits for one here in Canada.
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

I wanted to try to build one a while ago to make power. But then I read the height it needs to be to avoid turbulence and work well, and thought people in the suburbs may not approve.

I downloaded a thing a while ago on how to make your own solar cells that didn't look too bad. Was some dangerous chemicals involved though.

Would be nice if there was a way to become greener and produce your own power without going out and buying expensive commercial stuff.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Hmmm, I suppose I could just store measurements of the voltage, current, and phase shift.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Hmmm, I suppose I could just store measurements of the voltage, current, and phase shift.
    Seems a good solution. Then you can just calc whichever later.