• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Power question

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm working on a design so I can build my own watt meter and I want it to be as accurate as possible. My question is, do power companies charge you for only real power? Or do you get charged for reactive power as well?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm working on a design so I can build my own watt meter and I want it to be as accurate as possible. My question is, do power companies charge you for only real power? Or do you get charged for reactive power as well?

At first I thought it sounded a little evil to charge for reactive power but I read up on it, and some power companies do charge for it, just to penalise people for using large induction motors and other things that cause problems on the network.

Maybe check the power company's web site or details on whoever supplies you.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
They charge for reactive power because it is considered "unused" power that is a pain to put back in. They want you to use it and not put it back into the grid.

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Have you looked into getting a windmill? I heard somewhere that they are as cheap as maybe 10 grand or some junk like that. I was thinking of looking into permits for one here in Canada.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I wanted to try to build one a while ago to make power. But then I read the height it needs to be to avoid turbulence and work well, and thought people in the suburbs may not approve.

I downloaded a thing a while ago on how to make your own solar cells that didn't look too bad. Was some dangerous chemicals involved though.

Would be nice if there was a way to become greener and produce your own power without going out and buying expensive commercial stuff.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Hmmm, I suppose I could just store measurements of the voltage, current, and phase shift.