User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 82

Thread: Why do we die?

  1. #11
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Who's to say there hasn't been an immortal species? Maybe one existed but was wiped out during the K-T event. After the K-T event, the most successful species were ones the reproduced the quickest (small mammals). And isn't lifespan inversely proportional to reproductivity (in most cases)? So wouldn't a short lifespan actually be superior in most situations?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #12
    S Saiyan God Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te
    Posts
    2,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Who's to say there hasn't been an immortal species? Maybe one existed but was wiped out during the K-T event. After the K-T event, the most successful species were ones the reproduced the quickest (small mammals). And isn't lifespan inversely proportional to reproductivity (in most cases)? So wouldn't a short lifespan actually be superior in most situations?
    Not aware of that one...

  3. #13
    E. N.. T... :P RiderOnTheStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Posts
    791

    Default

    I read the thread title as, "Why should we die?"

    /hilarity xD
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

    Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

  4. #14
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    We are an immortal species -- just not in our bodies...

  5. #15
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    No, it wouldn't - it couldn't. If the sum of the parts led to extinction, then the individual parts would also be extinct. In order for any species to survive, the species as a whole must also be competitive. That is, any system that encourages individual advantage over group selection, in a way that escalates negative group selection, will eventually become extinct.

    The interactive effect between them must be sustainable.
    If individual selection leads to a group that cannot support itself, then yes it will be destroyed. However your initial point involved an "immortal" class without a desirable survival trait vs. a mortal class with one. If I used your same example and gave the immortal class the trait, and the mortal class no survivability, the group will go the other way. I was just saying that death vs no death didn't have as much to do with whether the new generation was successful or not. Although I see your point about the resources, in which an immortal group will strain an environment or resource pool larger than one where it's older members die off. This seems like a good reason to favor a "death mechanism."

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Who's to say there hasn't been an immortal species? Maybe one existed but was wiped out during the K-T event. After the K-T event, the most successful species were ones the reproduced the quickest (small mammals). And isn't lifespan inversely proportional to reproductivity (in most cases)? So wouldn't a short lifespan actually be superior in most situations?
    This is very true. I'm not knowledgeable enough about paleontology to determine if lifespan can be adequately described by examining them, but it seems that in a period with little resources, a species with significant energy demands [because they must maintain a reproductive and virile state indefinitely] would do much worse than a "one and done" species.



  6. #16
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    anything that uses energy will die, It is the inevotable law of the universe.
    a system demands energy to function. When the system fails to sythesize the energy to function. that is the point of death.

    I do not believe in immortality.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  7. #17
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Because we drink too much whiskey
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  8. #18
    Senior Member King sns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    6,747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Because we drink too much whiskey
    I think that ruined my night.
    (Dumps drink)

  9. #19
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    This is very true. I'm not knowledgeable enough about paleontology to determine if lifespan can be adequately described by examining them, but it seems that in a period with little resources, a species with significant energy demands [because they must maintain a reproductive and virile state indefinitely] would do much worse than a "one and done" species.
    Most small mammals don't have high energy requirements. Well, I suppose they do in respect to their body weight, but they require less nourishment than larger animals, like humans and elephants. I don't even know if it would be possible a small animal to live very long even if it didn't age. It would be bound to get eaten by something. So it seems to me that greater size would be a requirement, which would require more energy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    Senescence, of course. I guess you're really asking why our bodies are programmed to engage in the inevitable decay of cells. Yes?

Similar Threads

  1. Why do we fear what we don't understand?
    By foolish heart in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 09:07 PM
  2. Why do we do the things we do?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
  3. Why do we seek moral absolutes?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
  4. Why do we not want those we care about to do drugs?
    By KarenParker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 02:29 PM
  5. Why Do We Find Violence/Misfortune Funny?
    By RansomedbyFire in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO