• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

LHC scheduled for restart in september 09

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
God help us all.

Gordon Freeman, if you're out there, humanity needs you.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Unfair because it broke and now we have to wait.

I'm sure half of the world can't wait for the subatomic sized blackholes. So do I but maybe for other reasons than the usual 'eeenndd off thee wooorrlldd' rant.
But hey, who knows

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I know.
It's all a bunch of shit. LHC is just an expensive toy.
Probably an engagement ring from an ENTJ.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I know.
It's all a bunch of shit. LHC is just an expensive toy.
Probably an engagement ring from an ENTJ.

Wrong, there's no barnacles and faust like contract attached to the lhc

ygolo

My termites win
Personally, I think confirming or refuting the existance of the Higgs Boson is a worthy goal.

It'a amazing how often people say stuff like this a waste of time, and when it finally delivers, it is taken for granted.

Discovery does not follow a predictable path, and all models that try to valuate these things are a lot more suspect than the actual science and engineering being done.

In fact, in comparison, the valuations are pure B.S. The world's top V.C. companies know this, and that's why they don't hire investment bankers. Some are fomously quoted as saying, "if you're background is sales or engineering we want you, but if it is finance or investment banking look somewhere else."

Finance is a crude instrument at best. We may try to hedge, and balance corellations, etc. but the world runs on black-swans not random processes--chaos is very different from randomness, they just look alike on the surface.

(I guess I am responding to arguments made in the media, not this thread, but it'll eventually come up)

Seriously, who are you going to trust? The community of financial idiots wizzards who created the global credit crisis by failing miserably at making predictions (and who have historically consistantly fail often), or the community of seasoned scientists who actually succeed in making predictions with phenomenal accuracy on a regular basis?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
but the world runs on black-swans not random processes--chaos is very different from randomness, they just look alike on the surface.

sorry for out of tpic.

I thought the circulation of money is a completelty random process. Thart is why no one can predict the markets.

The circulation of money is the invisible hand described by adam smith.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Argh, it got pushed back again? I've been following articles on the LHC for a while now, though if what it says is true (and there are no further delays) we won't see any digestable data for at least a year.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
End of september, then it will run in 'test mod' until early november for the first collisions.

So yes, I'm glad in a way. And I can't wait to see if they find the higgs among so many other things.
Some new physics would be AWESOME. I mean, proof of supersymetry or whatever.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
End of september, then it will run in 'test mod' until early november for the first collisions.

So yes, I'm glad in a way. And I can't wait to see if they find the higgs among so many other things.
Some new physics would be AWESOME. I mean, proof of supersymetry or whatever.

Totally agree. I need some new theories and such to digest. Finding the Higgs would be terrific. I'd get drunk for days.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm going to come out of the closet here and admit this thing scares the shit out of me. Burn it! Burn it!

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Totally agree. I need some new theories and such to digest. Finding the Higgs would be terrific. I'd get drunk for days.

Yep, I'd be in on Higgs celebrations too. It's meant to take a few years to get enough data. Why can't science be fast! I always have to forget about these things then come back to them.