Thread: Human evolution

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Arrow Human evolution

Since the monkeys, we have come pretty far, depending on how you look at it. Some have come farther than others, of course. As is the case with all species, and we are nothing but relatively intelligent animals, despite how much we try to think of ourselves as the very pinnacle of evolution.

I think there will inevitably be a point in time where something evolves from being human into something so entirely different that even if it is humanoid, it will not be a homo sapiens.

I think a major problem in viewing this is that many people get hung up on racism and other things. The whole race thing will probably not be that big of an issue when this change comes. Besides, no matter the skin color, intelligent people will always have more in common than they will with stereotypical hillbillies and vice versa. Besides, humanity will probably speak chinese in a few hundred years. I'm not implying white supremacy. Fuck that.

It's a guess of mine that in these days, where there is more and more intellectual stimulation, and people with a higher understanding seek the company of like-minded, eventually there will be such a gap between dumb people and intelligent people that it will be impossible to bridge.

Maybe what we are seeing in the world today, the enormous poverty, starvation and such are only the effects of evolution?

Should we work against it or let nature take its own path?

Could we work with evolution and engineer ourselves to be better?

What hazards does this hold? What would the benefits be?

This thread is general, however, derail it as much as you want as long as it stays on the subject of human evolution.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

isnt there a movie called idiotacracy? this dumb ass goes into the future and then is suddenly considered brilliant! the idea is that because dumb people have more children, eventually they will win out hahaha. i think in the movie he like teaches them to not use gatoraide on grass or something... i cant remember...

MBTI
    I

Honestly, if we do things like that, it won't have much of an impact on human evolution at all. You have to consider that evolution is a huge process over an extremely long period of time. If we try to help poverty, even if we get a ton accomplished, then it will have no effect on human evolution.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    I think there will inevitably be a point in time where something evolves from being human into something so entirely different that even if it is humanoid, it will not be a homo sapiens.
    Inevitably?... You really think our species will last that long eh?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

Maybe what we are seeing in the world today, the enormous poverty, starvation and such are only the effects of evolution?
    Naw, those aren't the effects of evolution, but rather could accelerate it, but we're talking about such a small time scale that such a notion isn't applicable.

Should we work against it or let nature take its own path?
    I'm all for improvement of the human species through genetic selection, however, what traits would be selected and why? We could breed specialized humans for a variety of purposes. This may lead to conflict though, because it could lead to the systematic sterilization of most of the world's population that would be found with undesirable traits, very reminiscent of an Arian concept that we're all too familiar with. I would not support a measure that goes that far for obvious ethical reasons.

Could we work with evolution and engineer ourselves to be better?
    Yes, but if speciation occurs it is no longer "ourselves" is it? I can also imagine that were we to isolate certain genes to create improved humans, these people may find themselves as superior to the "weak-gened", or the "weak-gened" may lash out against the improved humans for a number of reasons, a new sort of class conflict of genetic nature could emerge.

What hazards does this hold? What would the benefits be?
    I covered this in the other responses without seeing that this question would be asked! :P Basically we would have to be very careful in how we went about making improved humans and to what extent we would push.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Attempting to know evolution, doesn't necessarily benefit our position(s) next to evolution itself, whether evolution is true or false.

... but I agree on some criterion you've pointed out.

It appears off real-time evidence that each and every one of us prefers to be with like-minded people of comparative intelligence. True intelligence, in my opinion, is the functioning of a person, based on... survival. Again, speculating around the term 'survival' pays no impact on the natural process of survival. In my world-view, God has his ways...

Therefore, given also the fact that we have no means to accurately assess how non-like minded individuals 'view' their lives up to what gratitude, the sublimed attempt to (in your own words), go against your version of the evolutionary process bears NO hope whatsoever in mankind's fate. Saving poverty, spending millions, devoting soldiers to a cause... all of this is drama are an apologetic approach to mankind's benefits. It bears no fruit, but on a personal level.

I say, each and every one of us concentrate on our positions where we stand now, let the natural 'every day' matters take place and move forward like that. Who knows... tomorrow may well be different to today, in the political sense.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm all for improvement of the human species through genetic selection, however, what traits would be selected and why? We could breed specialized humans for a variety of purposes. This will lead to conflict though, because it would require the systematic sterilization of most of the world's population that would be found with undesirable traits, very reminiscent of an Arian concept that we're all too familiar with.
    WHAT? No. "Systematic sterilization of most of the world's population." You want human beings to die out completely? Can't you see how that could go wrong? Not to mention how horribly barbaric that is. "Breed specialized humans for a variety of purposes" - yeah, make a dumbed down laborer class and then watch the revolts as they realize what everyone else did to them.

Never let "intelligence" let you become so logical that you forget that there are actual people living in poverty and what some would call "ignorance" (I find that "ignorant" people know more about life and happiness than most self-proclaimed "intelligent" people do, but that's besides the point.) A lack of "intelligence" doesn't always involve your genetic code. More often than not, it's a result of who you were raised by and how your culture surrounds you. Biology / Genetics is not the only science out there; take a look at Sociology and Psychology too.

If human beings "evolve", then I would assume it would happen as a species. I don't think we can evolve though. Nothing is around to "pick off the lower species" as there is in nature; no global pandemics are wiping out those without a certain gene or anything of that nature. And to suggest that humans do it to themselves.. that is just barbaric. We should not toy with forces beyond our comprehension, and messing with our own DNA is something that humans should avoid, or risk losing what it is that makes us human.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    isnt there a movie called idiotacracy? this dumb ass goes into the future and then is suddenly considered brilliant! the idea is that because dumb people have more children, eventually they will win out hahaha. i think in the movie he like teaches them to not use gatoraide on grass or something... i cant remember...
    I see. *takes note*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    WHAT? No. "Systematic sterilization of most of the world's population." You want human beings to die out completely? Can't you see how that could go wrong? Not to mention how horribly barbaric that is. "Breed specialized humans for a variety of purposes" - yeah, make a dumbed down laborer class and then watch the revolts as they realize what everyone else did to them.

Never let "intelligence" let you become so logical that you forget that there are actual people living in poverty and what some would call "ignorance" (I find that "ignorant" people know more about life and happiness than most self-proclaimed "intelligent" people do, but that's besides the point.) A lack of "intelligence" doesn't always involve your genetic code. More often than not, it's a result of who you were raised by and how your culture surrounds you. Biology / Genetics is not the only science out there; take a look at Sociology and Psychology too.

If human beings "evolve", then I would assume it would happen as a species. I don't think we can evolve though. Nothing is around to "pick off the lower species" as there is in nature; no global pandemics are wiping out those without a certain gene or anything of that nature. And to suggest that humans do it to themselves.. that is just barbaric. We should not toy with forces beyond our comprehension, and messing with our own DNA is something that humans should avoid, or risk losing what it is that makes us human.
    Hmm, perhaps I didn't make it clear that I do not support the systematic sterilization of people to select traits. When I mentioned that such a measure would be reminiscent of Arian ideas I was trying to say that it was bad.

I will edit my post for clarification

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    Hmm, perhaps I didn't make it clear that I do not support the systematic sterilization of people to select traits. When I mentioned that such a measure would be reminiscent of Arian ideas I was trying to say that it was bad.

I will edit my post for clarification
    Alright.. I was worried there for a second. But the fact that it seemed like someone could support that was somewhat scary.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)