First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Right, but you'd have to place one of the entangled particles at your destination. Perfect for shipping between worlds, but won't get you to Vega instantly until you actually trek the 26 or so light years and place it. So still a bit limited. Honestly this is best for telecommunications and computing, I don't think it will work on a macroscopic level.
    Ah, I'm not that ambitious. Try communications beween Earth and Mars without the 20 - 40 min lag.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

That's pretty heavy!

So, is it because we are getting smart enough to bring these concepts into reality, or can it be that we have become lazier, and more impatient then ever before?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    to explain consciousness
    Yes, and then some.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Ah, I'm not that ambitious. Try communications beween Earth and Mars without the 20 - 40 min lag.
    That's what I was wondering, too.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTj

I read the article, felt like posting it, but I didn't want my lack of knowledge be known.

Information never travels faster than c (speed of light). If you think about the consequences on cause and effect then you'll understand why pretty quickly.

Teleportation is pretty cool and interesting though. Quantum entanglement is used mainly to achieve a secure line, so it can't be intercepted and you don't need encryption. Though maybe it can help in some way with noise and reliability of signals over long distances.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Question:
    For this to work, we must be able to manipulate the spin of individual ions at will. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to encode meaningful 0's and 1's. Has anybody ever addressed this issue?
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Question:
    For this to work, we must be able to manipulate the spin of individual ions at will. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to encode meaningful 0's and 1's. Has anybody ever addressed this issue?
    When you expose electrons to a field or force it to polarize, that's how you can induce a change in spin. Unfortunately, entanglement can decay at any time, making a calculation or data storage die at point during the action. So until we can get around that, it won't really be feasible. We are still ages away from this.

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Information never travels faster than c (speed of light). If you think about the consequences on cause and effect then you'll understand why pretty quickly.

Teleportation is pretty cool and interesting though. Quantum entanglement is used mainly to achieve a secure line, so it can't be intercepted and you don't need encryption. Though maybe it can help in some way with noise and reliability of signals over long distances.
    I think you misunderstand what Quantum entanglement entails. This effect does occur instantaneously regardless of distance. It violates locality.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I suppose I should have known you weren't talking about the show when I read what section this is in...

Right now, I'm pretty much into quantum mechanics, it's truly a world of wonders. Something tells me it's going to be much better known to the general public in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Never say never. I'm not a professional in this territory, but I do think the world is full of surprises. Check this out: 'We have broken speed of light' - Telegraph .
    On the topic of cause and effect, consult Hume