User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default Scientists create what is essentially RNA

Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTJ

Interesting. I understand the importance of this as a stepping stone but are there any actual practical applications with what they did?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Interesting. I understand the importance of this as a stepping stone but are there any actual practical applications with what they did?
    No, purely speculations as a possible mechanism for formation of life on earth. It could be that life was, instead, seeded from aliens.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INTJ

Damnit. I knew Tom Cruise was on to something.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

That's pretty amazing! I think it would be fascinating if they were able to create conditions and manipulate life forms into evolving into what they wanted them to, although I guess they would have already been doing that if it were practical.

MBTI
    INxJ

The experiment began with pre-made molecules. With that as a starting point, it's ability to replicate isn't far from fruition. Currently, Earth possesses all the elements necessary for the creation of life. Using the post creation of life materials, that are already formed in a way that's conducive to the process and claiming it's similar to the original RNA with it's unknowable circumstances, is speculation at best. It's unlikely this method will ever prove how life came to be. This is basically a working model for a theory.

Nevertheless, it has great potential to advance other fields like genetics.

What about molecule-level manufacturing (not life per-say)?

Can the engineered RNA be used for that?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    What about molecule-level manufacturing (not life per-say)?

Can the engineered RNA be used for that?
    It's from my understanding that people can already synthesize strands of RNA/DNA of specific sequences from bases 10/20 years ago. You can have this done commercially for like 50cents a base pair? =/
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    It's from my understanding that people can already synthesize strands of RNA/DNA of specific sequences from bases 10/20 years ago. You can have this done commercially for like 50cents a base pair? =/
    Right, but this isn't "RNA" per se. It's basically a set of enzymes they created that continue to manufacture each other as long as there are available building blocks, and some of them "evolve" which is usually attributed to living systems, yet these molecules aren't classified as being "alive."

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I'm not talking about self-replication.

Can we design RNA-like things to create say...plastic-products (for instance), with molecule level accuracy?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield