• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Crossing the galactic plane, possible calamities

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes, this does have reference to some 2012 doomsday type predictions.

1. One theory states that the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy is of the type that has a rapid spin. Now, I have long been thoroughly interested and am somewhat well versed in the general physics theories about black holes. Just a couple days ago quantum physicists confirmed that in addition to most/all galaxies having supermassive black holes at their centers, the black holes also sparked the creation of the galaxies themselves. If you have no heard this, you may want to look it up. Now the doomsday theory takes into account one school of thought about spinning supermassive black holes that states that black holes of that size that also have a spin to them may very well adopt a flat donut/ribbon shape. This is one of a few theories about how spinning supermassive black holes behave. The line of thinking is that the donut/ribbon model would create a flat plane of gravity that extends through the galaxy along the galactic plane. This plane is created from the gravitational effects of the black hole itself at the center of the galaxy. What is the merit of this theory currently, in the scientific community?

2. Passing through this plain is thought to mean that we will face a few possible natural disasters due to the odd effects of the gravity wave/whatever it is. . The theory is supported by the fact that we have regular cycles of mass extinction events and ice ages, and that this time period would correspond with our crossing the galactic plane (every 30 million years or so). Now, I know that there is a debate on just what our position in the galaxy is and how often we cross the supposed plane. What is the truth in this part of the theory?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm sticking with the theory that the EOTW has been predicted every decade since 1 A.D., and therefore it's a bad idea to listen to prophecies.

OTOH, if some astronomers tell me an asteroid is coming our way, I'll start to worry.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
First I want to say that I am not buying this end of the stories.

1.I am familiar with that theories but it look like that our level of knowlege is similar so I can't help you.

2. As geology student I can help you with this one.

In short I disagree with that theory.

In long

If the theory with black holes is correct then we could have such a disaster in 2012. But I am wondering how is it possible that people know that from entire 30 million year cycle (which is rounded number for sure) someone knows that this will be exactly 2012. Sorry I am skeptical.

Another thing is that if this occures every few years from now it should have happened 30 millions of years ago.

But there is no evedence of some big mass extinction 30 million years ago.
What falls into the Oligocene period.
We have species coming and going all the time but there appears to be not sings of something capital there.

However there was a beginning of somewhat colder period at that time.
Which can be well explained by plate tectonics. Also the change was slow and
we are talking about much larger time spans then human life.
So I think that this idea (at least in this form) is nonsense.

The thing is that Earths history is extremly complex and people in general know almost nothing about it. Because of this it is possible to spread this kinds of ideas.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
First I want to say that I am not buying this end of the stories.

1.I am familiar with that theories but it look like that our level of knowlege is similar so I can't help you.

2. As geology student I can help you with this one.

In short I disagree with that theory.

In long

If the theory with black holes is correct then we could have such a disaster in 2012. But I am wondering how is it possible that people know that from entire 30 million year cycle (which is rounded number for sure) someone knows that this will be exactly 2012. Sorry I am skeptical.

Another thing is that if this occurs every few years from now it should have happened 30 millions of years ago.

But there is no evidence of some big mass extinction 30 million years ago.
What falls into the Oligocene period.
We have species coming and going all the time but there appears to be not sings of something capital there.

However there was a beginning of somewhat colder period at that time.
Which can be well explained by plate tectonics. Also the change was slow and
we are talking about much larger time spans then human life.
So I think that this idea (at least in this form) is nonsense.

The thing is that Earths history is extremely complex and people in general know almost nothing about it. Because of this it is possible to spread this kinds of ideas.

As far as plate tectonics go, the other part of the theory involves a physical pole shift. It is thought that crossing the galactic plane will spur a physical/geographic pole shift. The author of this theory contends that these giant earth changes like the shifting of the continents happens rapidly. He thinks that, if the planet shifts its physical axis, then the resulting shift would 1. create a wave across the coast lines due to water displacement. The water displacement is mainly caused by the 32 km bulge aligned with the equator due to the rotation of the earth. If the equator shifts, so will the equilibrium meaning that the planet would be forced into a shifting of the tectonic plates to compensate for the new alignment (and this is a shift of no more than 30 degrees), as well as the bulge of water aligning itself with the new equator. This would mean the appearance of new previously submerged land masses and the sinking of some lower areas. He thinks past shifting of the continents was due to such events which created a relatively rapid shift in the land masses, followed by a slow drift through the usual plate tectonics.

Supposedly, both geographic and magnetic pole shifts are in geological records, as well as stories passed on from past civilizations. Also, I might need to correct myself in that I think he said global disasters seem to occur around those intervals, ice ages and extinctions included.

Eldanen

Arcesso pulli gingerios!
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The best thing is that they've given us a specific date to play with. When it comes and passes, we can all laugh our heads off at all the books and articles that've been written on the subject. I saw one recently at the bookstore with a green cover on it, talking about the return of Quetzalcotl. Although, it might be harder to refute if they just present 2012 as a "global increase in consciousness," which is what I've seen lately. Because you can't really quantify that to say it didn't happen.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Can't theorize about the OP.

So many to pick from; so little time. . .

Yellowstone?
Pandemic?
Asteroid?
Atomic "accident?"
Solar storm?

My current buck is on people getting the job nearly finished before nature steps in. Time to cull the herd?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just like the Solar Storm because it would be the thing that suddenly makes me useful in society.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Didn't the world already end in 88?