User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Science

MBTI
    INFJ

I have to say I agree with PT's statement, and to be honest it contradicts the opinion that I'd held throughout the whole time reading through this thread. I was going to say that if they're focusing on a founded or established science then to some extent the quote is nonsensical and erroneous. However, if they were focusing on the formation and fruition of a new science, then to some extent it's true. In light of the points I'd read further however, science is all trial and error. A hypothesis is nothing more than a thought waiting to be tried. If something is scientifically based - even if it proves to be a faulty idea - and it may prove useful later, (which is highly likely) nothing can ever be subjective as everything will fit into some objective measure at some point in time. This is even if the objective measure is proving that the thought is erroneous.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am curious what the different types would think/feel about the following quote:
    Every statement in your quote is true, but one always has to wonder what argument the speaker is trying to make. Science, like all human undertakings, has flaws in it. The nice thing about the scientific method is that the process tends to correct mistakes as more data is discovered and more experiments are performed. So in the long run the mistakes will be corrected, but then again the long run may even be thousands or millions of years from now, and that doesn't necessarily help us in the present.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

heart on fire

I think the speaker was talking about how some people get into Scientism, where Science is seen as a infallible new type of dogma, a new god as.

I was just curious to see how different types would react to the statements.

I am curious what the different types would think/feel about the following quote:
    True insofar as the definition can be moulded to fit any given circumstance.

If we run a test dropping a ball-bearing and find that nine drops produce a value for gravity around 9.8 m/s^2 within error but that a tenth is over the limit, are we fudging the facts, as it were, if we ignore it?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTJ

that quote comes form someone who never heard of the scientific method.

The point has some truth, but is pedantically overstated. As with most things, the truth is more complicated and boring than most care to read about or discuss. Writers are generally more interested in being dramatic or persuasive than an accurate analysis of an issue.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I think the speaker was talking about how some people get into Scientism, where Science is seen as a infallible new type of dogma, a new god as.
    Nietzsche, Jung, and a myriad of other thinkers have addressed just this. Science is concerned with what is objective and verifiable. Science cannot address humankind's subjective, spiritual needs. When science is treated as the end-all-be-all explanatory force, mankind's need for spiritual fulfillment eventually expresses itself in nationalism, psychological illnesses, etc.

As this quote doesn't go into what the speaker is referring to, I can't comment on it specifically. This could either be the opening salvo to a critique of shortsightedness on the part of scientists or a critique of science itself for neglecting spiritual factors. Amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Science is the art of answering "how" and "why" questions.
    Science is only concerned with "how". "Why" is the realm of religion and spirituality.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

I find the quote refreshing, and it puts into words a feeling I've had for a long time that I could not express as concisely as this person did.

Science is excellent at determining the physical laws of the universe...the ones we know about anyway. Science, however, is not very good at saying "I don't know". When science doesn't know, it dismisses.

For an example far afield, think of a football player. Sometimes there is a football player who doesn't have very good statistics, but is said by all to be a valuable part of the team; maybe he has strong leadership skills, maybe he sets an example by practicing hard. Science can measure how many touchdowns he's scored, but science would underestimate this player's value because it can't measure leadership or heart.

Science is a very valuable tool and has contributed a great deal to humanity. But it isn't the answer to everything. In fact, it usually isn't the answer to anything when it comes to the great questions of humanity.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    When science doesn't know, it dismisses.
    Please cite one concrete example of this. (I like how you've anthropomorphized science, by the way.)
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ESFJ

Exclamation

A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.